[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

Extract the rar so you have a folder called $systemupdate, put that FOLDER on a USB thumb drive, so you have X:\$systemupdate with a file inside that folder.

Then just plug it into your 360 and when you turn it on, it'll ask you to update. It wont brick your system unless you do something silly (like turn it off mid-update). All these updates are signed by Microsoft, there's no way to create a "bad" one that the 360 will install.

Thanks, updating now (Y)

I get the update prompt but then it goes straight to update failed, check network connection yada yada - anyone else get this?

btw Hello all 1st post, long time viewer first time poster :p

installed the update now its pretty much just sitting at he "update in progess" screen. says estimating time remaining and its basically just sitting there. i guess the servers are bogged down

oh its working alright. do the rar. just happens to be kinda slow. but i would bet you can expect the same if you wait till the official release later on

weally??! i am tempted to update via that rar file then! can someone else confirm this? i know it's just another a few hours, but no better time than now, right?

Confirmed

Went flawless for me. Had it updated and running about 5-10 mins after Kushan verified that thumb drives work. I'm only replying so late because I got caught up in messing with my Avatar, lol.

I had to give the TV back because I interrupted the misses' show, but now I've got something to keep me up tonight. (Y)

Yeah I'm glad I was in the preview, update took me just a few mins, the servers are likely getting hammered right now, can't imagine what they will be like later.

Kushan don't post sensible things, you know the only acceptable reply is to say "**** Sony".

Get with the times :rolleyes:

It's not ideal for 360 owners no, but it's hardly suprising. Nintendo recently blocked Goldeneye, a single game, from even getting to MS.

Some are available, maybe others will come.

I hate to break it to you, but most companies actually would NOT be doing that.

Microsoft works closely with Sony on numerous computer-related endeavors. Their business in other categories isn't affected by their console ventures. I mean, hell, look at Microsoft and Apple! Both release software on the other platform despite the obvious competition there.

Your comparison to Nintendo and Golden Eye is completely different. That's a GAME that was published by Nintendo that they don't want on another console. That makes perfect sense. This does not.

This is a completely different aspect of both businesses, and if Columbia not allowing streaming is because of the PS3/360 thing, that's pretty lame.

is installing the update that kushan posted safe? As in we cant get banned for installing it?

No, the updates are stored on your hard drive when you install them, so if you were in the preview program and plugged your hard drive into another console, that console would then update. This is those same files.