[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

IT still has ads, but they're less obvious. There's now an entire section of "ads" called "spotlight" and when you're playing a game, the guide sometimes has a link to some content for the game on it, that's about it as far as I can see.

How come I get black bars on the top and bottom when I put it to my native resolution to 1680x1080?

I get the same. Not exactly native now is it...

How come I get black bars on the top and bottom when I put it to my native resolution to 1680x1080?
I get the same. Not exactly native now is it...

Because the games are designed for specific aspect ratios, not screen resolutions. You get the black bars to prevent the image being stretched in a strange way because the resolution isn't 1080p or 720p. That was the POINT of this support in the new dash.

Because the games are designed for specific aspect ratios, not screen resolutions. You get the black bars to prevent the image being stretched in a strange way because the resolution isn't 1080p or 720p. That was the POINT of this support in the new dash.

Precisely. It works very well as far as I'm concerned. It's just like watching a 16:9 movie on a 16:10 screen.

Yes, because that's how the 360 works. Basically, everything is created on the GPU in a specific aspect ratio and resolution (usually around 720p), then this gets sent to a special chip inside the 360 that scales it to whatever you selected in the system. Since the source image is a 16:10 aspect ratio, it can either scale it to fit your resolution and distort the hell out of everything, or throw in some black bars so it looks accurate.

Interestingly, the PS3 has no such special chip and this scaling needs to be done by the GPU itself, which is why the PS3 frequently suffers framerate drops the 360 does not.

Well I was just testing out Netflix on my 55' Mitsubishi and for some reason just like when I stream movies from my PC I get the outer edges cut off when its filling the screen up. If I set the movie to the native it just shrinks the picture down to the middle and its really small. (but then I see the full image not stretched) Anybody know whats going on?

Thanks Kushan but how do you get those files? Extracted from the xbox harddrive or someone from microsoft leaked it or ... ??? I always wonder from where those files are comming.

When you update your console, the updates are actually stored on the hard drive, same for game updates (they get deleted when you clear your cache). All you have to do is plug your hard drive into your PC (via an adapter) and you can extract these files. It's the exact same file that Microsoft puts up for download on their site.

Well I was just testing out Netflix on my 55' Mitsubishi and for some reason just like when I stream movies from my PC I get the outer edges cut off when its filling the screen up. If I set the movie to the native it just shrinks the picture down to the middle and its really small. (but then I see the full image not stretched) Anybody know whats going on?

Check if your TV has settings for overscan correction. it's most likely set to 5% or more overscan over hdmi or component whatever you're using. a lot of tv's have overscan set and won't let you change it.

Gah, the update isn't working for me. Just won't work. It prompts up that a download is available so I click ''download'' then it just says ''can't download the update''

:(

Gah, the update isn't working for me. Just won't work. It prompts up that a download is available so I click ''download'' then it just says ''can't download the update''

:(

Did you install the leaked NXE before? If so, that's why - you need the LATEST NXE leak.

When you update your console, the updates are actually stored on the hard drive, same for game updates (they get deleted when you clear your cache). All you have to do is plug your hard drive into your PC (via an adapter) and you can extract these files. It's the exact same file that Microsoft puts up for download on their site.

Oh I see, thanks.

Yes, I'm well aware of aspect ratios, I figured that they would've designed the dashboard to utilize all screen space, not scale.

This is fun, but I can;t decide between making an avatar representative of me or making one I think is cool. This is more realistic version of myself.