[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

I thought so as well, my friend (who does live by me) told me about he got it last night, launched my 360 and got it. :iiam:

Oh well. Would have been nice. Really nice actually.

MS decided to let everyone who signed up for the preview successfully to get the update today.

They'll update the avatars as time goes on as well :yes:

Microsoft may have accidentally given away the launch time. In the contest rules for the "Download & Win" competition, Microsoft detail instructions for downloading a Gamer Pic as part of the entrance requirements for said competition. They give two sets of instructions, one for before the NXE is launched, and one for after. The two sets of instructions are categorized by times, before 2AM November 19th, 2008 (PT), and afterwards.

Therefore, I conclude that the NXE is scheduled to launch at 2AM, November 19th, 2008 (PT).

Yeah... I just launched my 360 again, and it's not updating yet for me.

And when I actually get into my Xbox system, it says 2 days until launch. :wacko: .

Woah it's so refreshing to see some of you guys realise everything isn't always perfect day 1 :o ;)

Hahahaha :laugh:

But yeah I do agree avatars will be updated with more content, however DL is asking for user modification/manipulation, we'll need to wait and see if they give us that (Y)

Will be interesting to see if the people with NXE get an update tomorrow, or it is the final version.

I am just wondering if there are some hidden features coming or not.

I think we might get a small update as well. Who knows though.

They've already updated it in the last 3 weeks haven't they? Or did they just remove clothing from the avatar section?

I wouldn't expect TOO much facial manipulation in the future. The Nintendo Mii system focuses primarily on the face, everything else is quite generic so that's ok, but the Avatar system focuses on clothes and accessories, which can be a real ball-ache to implement if people can adjust the structure of the object they're attached to. So for example, if you were able to reposition the nose, there's a good chance that the glasses you pick might collide with it. You might think "well, position the glasses above the nose?" but then that hat you want might collide with it.

It's a bit cheap, but by keeping it this way, there's less chance of creating a "Broken" Avatar.

I wouldn't expect TOO much facial manipulation in the future. The Nintendo Mii system focuses primarily on the face, everything else is quite generic so that's ok, but the Avatar system focuses on clothes and accessories, which can be a real ball-ache to implement if people can adjust the structure of the object they're attached to. So for example, if you were able to reposition the nose, there's a good chance that the glasses you pick might collide with it. You might think "well, position the glasses above the nose?" but then that hat you want might collide with it.

It's a bit cheap, but by keeping it this way, there's less chance of creating a "Broken" Avatar.

yeah but the problem is, the most distinguishing features in the MS avatar system is the hair and facial hair. Eyes, nose, ears, and (to an extent) chin are very negligible when distinguishing between other avatars. Just looking around NeoWin, it already looks like people are twins LOL

Just keep in mind that some games are far better suited to HDD installs than others. GTA4 works really well with one, Halo 3 does not. Try to use your best judgement, I suppose.

True, but generally speaking, the titles that don't benefit from HDD installs is the vast minority while the vast majority of titles do benefit.

With that being said, Halo 3 is negatively impacted on the campaign side of things, not multiplayer. So in that regard, Halo 3 actually benefits from a HDD install.

In what way? The only thing the 360 avatars seem to be missing is the ability to resize different features of the face. They remedy that, however, by giving differently-sized features to begin with. The 360 avatars far outmatch the Miis, in my opinion at least.

Agreed (Y)

Will be interesting to see if the people with NXE get an update tomorrow, or it is the final version.

I am just wondering if there are some hidden features coming or not.

I'm curious as well. Hopefully they release a ton more clothing/accessories from the get-go. And maybe a surprise of increased codec support? One can hope ! :D

Yeap, agreed. I think that's the main issue. They want to make sure Avatars look "normal" and by providing pre-structured appendages they can guarantee a level of control.

i havent checked yet, but i read in another forum together with nxe ms started another ban-wave. just be prepared in case.

got my 20gb hd due the special ms-offer some weeks ago. i decided to wait some weeks before going ms-live marketplace again.

Damn. I updated over an hour ago and was playing with it. It is definitely faster than the old dash.

Couple of things,

- Is it possible to boot into My Xbox instead of Spotlight?

- Did anyone notice that the video playback controls have really bad aliasing to them?

- Parties not working yet?

Loving the speed (Y)

Someone can comment on those ^^

anybody think we'll be having connection issues when the update rolls out tomorrow?

Of course we will. We'll then have the same problems as we had last Christmas when Live was unplayable for the entire holiday season, and as a gesture of goodwill we'll get some ****ty arcade game that no one wanted to pay for, and all will be well.

these gamercards looking amazing can they still be created online on some website or do i have to do the xbox upgrade first?

these gamercards looking amazing can they still be created online on some website or do i have to do the xbox upgrade first?

Click on mine, it will take you to Mygamercard.net where you can make one.

Click on mine, it will take you to Mygamercard.net where you can make one.

thanks, dude i did that, registered there, i think half of steps completed, it shows the gamercard, same style as you have but without the personalized pic, its just showing the "ghost-shadow".

Of course we will. We'll then have the same problems as we had last Christmas when Live was unplayable for the entire holiday season, and as a gesture of goodwill we'll get some ****ty arcade game that no one wanted to pay for, and all will be well.

I doubt it. Gears 2 set the record for most concurrent Live players the weekend it came out and we didn't see Live having any issues that weekend.

-Spenser