Windows Live Messenger (9) 2009 (14.0.5027.908) released

Here's a list of changes and new bits in the new Windows Live Messenger 9 Beta (14.0.5027.908) that went live today

- Change your dashboard background ("scenes"), big inbox icon to the right, Personal Status Message separated from "music you're currently listening to", colored display picture frames to show current status, new buddy list icons, What's new feed and relocated promotional tabs.

- Favorites and Groups features, left-aligned display pictures in the convo window, added Segoe UI font

New discoveries:

- Hover-over contact options menu (Send an IM, send an e-mail, etc.)

- New Layout tab in Tools > Options allows you to customize the appearance of your contact list window (screenshot).

- New (softer) sounds for contact signing in, new e-mail, incoming/outgoing voice or video call, new Windows Live Alert and nudge.

- System sounds now have the same editor as signature sounds.

- Links in display names are not clickable. Those in PSMs are.

- Say goodbye to "Out to lunch", "In a call" and "Be right back". The Messenger statuses are now limited to "Available", "Away", "Busy" or "Appear offline".

- New "What I'm listening to" icon.

- Chat history button added to conversation window.

- Sharing folders feature makes room for Windows Live Skydrive: Click Files > Publish files online in the conversation windows. NOTE: Clicking "View your online files" in the hover menu on your own Display Picture opens a faulty link (skydrive.live-int.com instead of skydrive.live.com)

- New Display Picture options for webcam owners: Webcam snapshots and Tile with moods.

- Clicking your Display Picture in the main window allows you to change your Display Picture again (in 8.5 this just showed your contact card).

- Word wheel now offers Search for profiles and Live Search options.

- Invites you to add MessengerTV@live.com, the Messenger TV bot, to your contact list

Source: Mess.be

Links:

English:

http://g.live.com/1rebeta3/en/wlsetup-web.exe

Offline: http://g.live.com/1rebeta3/en/wlsetup-all.exe

Spanish:

http://g.live.com/1rebeta3/es/wlsetup-web.exe

Offline: http://g.live.com/1rebeta3/es/wlsetup-all.exe

- Say goodbye to "Out to lunch", "In a call" and "Be right back". The Messenger statuses are now limited to "Available", "Away", "Busy" or "Appear offline".

What the hell?

Also, it's not the final release, it is just a beta, so why is your topic title so misleading?

It says "public beta"....What is it misleading?

What the hell?

Like the post below yours, great change :)

it's nice they are working on new skin, but IM programs are not limited to skins only. a one year of job to do nothing, just few polishes... yet still no icq, jabber, tabbed chatting, x-statuses, privacy/visibility settings, contact IM info and improved audio/video things in interface

mmm...

I like it, its a kinda nice. BUT, thats all they can make for a new version of messenger??

I dont find any of the new feutures amazing.

Its like they moved things a bit, put some color and thats it!

I know its a beta, but still!

This WLM is annoying me :| my custom emoticons only send every so often :/ there is no coloured names (even though the MsgPlusLive site says it supports WLM 9.0), MPL is the program that makes WLM... good lol.

Looks really good though :p

This WLM is annoying me :| my custom emoticons only send every so often :/ there is no coloured names (even though the MsgPlusLive site says it supports WLM 9.0), MPL is the program that makes WLM... good lol.

Looks really good though :p

There was another beta version last year of WLM 9.0 but it doesn't support this version

For anyone that is using the new WLM 9 Beta, When you click on the E-mail button (the big envelope).. does it load up www.msn.com home page or does it load up their inbox directly?

Sadly and annoyingly mine loads up www.msn.com even though it notifies me when there is mail :s

Anyone else have this problem? Also the default colour doesnt spread over IM Windows.. meaning you have to impliment the colors yourself, anyone else have that issue?

Nice to know that they also decided to update those annoying sounds :) Not sure if I'll use them though.. I use my own sounds for WLM.