• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Live Messenger (9) 2009 (14.0.5027.908) released

+Audioboxer    2,876
Somebody found a way to patch the ads, expect full A-Patch soon. :)

Awesome!

Boo Berry    2,264

There's a custom skin going around called Windows Live Messenger 9: Sopair Edition which has ads patched, along with the IM window display pictures back on the right side.

http://www.designevolved.net/

HawkMan    5,232
Awesome!

so by bloat you really just meant the ad that helps finance live, and the programmers working on it then ?

sullyirl    0
so by bloat you really just meant the ad that helps finance live, and the programmers working on it then ?

I doubt the ads generate much revenue for the programmers more Microsoft. How many other developers work for other IM programs without ads and work for a smaller company? Exactly.

Btw, did anyone test the webcam? Mine loaded but my friends failed to load.

HawkMan    5,232
I doubt the ads generate much revenue for the programmers more Microsoft. How many other developers work for other IM programs without ads and work for a smaller company? Exactly.

Btw, did anyone test the webcam? Mine loaded but my friends failed to load.

yeah, the ads generate revenue for Microsoft... but who do you think pay the programmers...

and well ot of these free programs really have the size of WLM do they, most of them in fact use WLM, and then they lack most of the features of WLM.

sullyirl    0
yeah, the ads generate revenue for Microsoft... but who do you think pay the programmers...

Are we talking about the same Microsoft here?!?!

and well ot of these free programs really have the size of WLM do they, most of them in fact use WLM, and then they lack most of the features of WLM.

WLM is bloatware. The other software might be a bit far behind, but at least its not full of crap features. IMO of course.

+Audioboxer    2,876

And also the 800 buttons on everything, webcam links, unnecessary lines of text, icons I don't need, search bar, ect.

I pretty much nuke everything.

All I need to do is send messages to my friends, not send rockets to the moon.

And anyway, as for the adds? MSN on MAC, oh, that's ad-less, I use it.

I hardly think the ads are necessary for a small application MS deliver in amongst all their other paid for software, when they make so much money in other sectors.

MS don't make their living on MSN :laugh:

Yet other people make 3rd party apps that can connect to MSN and are ad free.

HawkMan    5,232

I wasn't aware of any indications that MS programmers where paid badly...

As for bloat, peopel actually liek the WLM features, and use them. I'd say webcam support is bloat for me, but lots of peopel use that, peopel use foldershare, they use smilies and winks, and they even use the silly avatars you have to pay for(wich aren't atually by MS but whatever)...

And also the 800 buttons on everything, webcam links, unnecessary lines of text, icons I don't need, search bar, ect.

I pretty much nuke everything.

All I need to do is send messages to my friends, not send rockets to the moon.

And anyway, as for the adds? MSN on MAC, oh, that's ad-less, I use it.

I hardly think the ads are necessary for a small application MS deliver in amongst all their other paid for software, when they make so much money in other sectors.

MS don't make their living on MSN :laugh:

Yet other people make 3rd party apps that can connect to MSN and are ad free.

Messenger is the only application with any ads and thus income in the whole live suite though. so you get a lot of stuff for a fairly minor ad at the bottom.

and the whole "MS is so rich they don't need the money" argument doesn't really work. No companies do anythign for charity, an if you use that argument, they may as well give away everything they make... wich wouldn't really work..

+Audioboxer    2,876

That's fine if people use the features, but MS give me no option, I have to install/have everything.

For the same reasons I use Vlite, I use A-Patch - MS fail at allowing you to customize installations.

This is how I need my MSN

msn.jpg

I don't need all the "bloat", shared folders in my computer and everything else.

I use MSN to talk to friends, that's all.

Messenger is the only application with any ads and thus income in the whole live suite though. so you get a lot of stuff for a fairly minor ad at the bottom.

and the whole "MS is so rich they don't need the money" argument doesn't really work. No companies do anythign for charity, an if you use that argument, they may as well give away everything they make... wich wouldn't really work..

Well sorry, I don't feel sorry for them for me a-patching my ads in an application like MSN.

If it's so wrong and they cared so much, I'd assume they would've stopped A-patch from existing? No?

Lee G.    234
I wasn't aware of any indications that MS programmers where paid badly...

As for bloat, peopel actually liek the WLM features, and use them. I'd say webcam support is bloat for me, but lots of peopel use that, peopel use foldershare, they use smilies and winks, and they even use the silly avatars you have to pay for(wich aren't atually by MS but whatever)...

True, although many WLM alternatives do not have ads, and the companies behind them make no money in comparison to Microsoft.

mail    10

I have to agree with Audioboxer & lcg.

HawkMan    5,232
That's fine if people use the features, but MS give me no option, I have to install/have everything.

For the same reasons I use Vlite, I use A-Patch - MS fail at allowing you to customize installations.

msn.jpg

I don't need all the "bloat", shared folders in my computer and everything else.

I use MSN to talk to friends, that's all.

Well sorry, I don't feel sorry for them for me a-patching my ads in an application like MSN.

If it's so wrong and they cared so much, I'd assume they would've stopped A-patch from existing? No?

you're still using "what I'm listenign to" that's bloat :p

The thing is of course that if they allowed customizing of MSN like that, MSN installs wouldn't be unified witht he same features all over. sure for you that's not a big deal, but on the other hand it is, and it is undesireable. When a WLM users is chatting with other contacts they expect you to have the ability to support the functions they have.

Allowing third part customizers like a-patch, sort of let's MS have it both ways, since only peopel with at leats some basic knowledge of wtf they're doign will be disablign stuff. as for not allowing it, I do blieve they just issued a new version of WLM that is attempting to blok at least the removal of ads :p

Tech Star    254
Any error code or message displayed?

Since I can't edit my post, make sure you have Windows Installer 3.1 installed, Tech Star.

It just says installation failed.

Also I have WI 3.1. :)

sullyirl    0
It just says installation failed.

Also I have WI 3.1. :)

Try removing WLM that you have, then launching the installer. While it should install for you anyway, sometimes a current version might conflict. Also, are you getting it from the offical site?

Mike    89

never heard of loss leaders? microsoft have plenty of money and do not need to make money off everything they do.

Calum    819

Exactly. That is how you use your "MSN" (or Windows Live Messenger to use to it's proper name). Other people need a lot of the features / UI elements which you have patched & removed. Microsoft have to make the install of Windows Live Messenger uniform & consistent because of the fact that users are interfacing with each other through this software - a person expects the recipient of thier conversation to have the same features as them.

I don't even understand why you are complaining. The new Windows Live Messenger uses 37MB of RAM for me - the older one used 42MB. This is a much smaller amount of RAM usage than iTunes, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Photoshop & alot of other programs; so why aren't you complaining fiercely about them & saying they should have many of thier core features optional? These should be the programs you target first.

I admit there are many things in Windows Live Messenger which I don't use & I admit the advert at the bottom is intrusive & extremely annoying, but I understand other people use these features & I understand that Microsoft need to make money. You say these other, smaller, messenger programs don't make money (or don't make much money as they don't have ads in thier programs) but they do still make enough money. They make money off the website they host with the download links & there will be other ways they make money.

What you have to understand is that Microsoft have a much larger team working on Windows Live Messenger, than the teams (or people/person) working on these smaller instant messenger programs. Yes, Microsoft do make money other ways but if they didn't have to have ads in Messenger then they wouldn't - with the amount of people using Windows Live Messenger, it means Microsoft will make an immense amount of money off having ads there. This means other products such as Windows Live Mail are able to be free of ads. What you need to remember is that Microsoft lose a lot of money from people who download their operating systems & software illegally, that is another reason why they need to make money this way - it is one of the most efficient ways of making a lot of money now-a-days.

This post isn't just aimed at you, Audioboxer, it is aimed at everybody in this thread who is complaining about this apparent 'bloat' (WLMessenger should work fine if you have 1GB+ RAM anyway) & the advertisements within Messenger.

I despise the advertisements too but I don't refuse to use the software if I can't get rid of them because I understand why they need to be there.

Unimatrix Xero    37

ive got a problem with 9.0 im getting the error messag

Signing into Messeger failed because the service is unavailble error code: 8000ffff

anyone help please!

cillin    0
ive got a problem with 9.0 im getting the error messag

Signing into Messeger failed because the service is unavailble error code: 8000ffff

anyone help please!

Apparently that's a Live ID bound issue.

Try a different account it should work.

It's got something to do with the contact list, cause when i import it on another account (that works) and reboot i get the same error.

Alex_is_Axel    3

I've just noticed (not sure if anyone else has noticed this) that when another person has WLM9Beta, when you chat to them in their IM, when they change their IM Window color (at the top of the window), it will change your colour too! Im not yet sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing though! A friend of mine has changed it to a horrible purple colour

Ambroos    801
I've just noticed (not sure if anyone else has noticed this) that when another person has WLM9Beta, when you chat to them in their IM, when they change their IM Window color (at the top of the window), it will change your colour too! Im not yet sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing though! A friend of mine has changed it to a horrible purple colour

It goes a little further.

Look at this topic: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=671684

tiagosilva29    952

I found the latest version of WLM in FileHippo.com, so I assume it's legal/blabla and okay to use.

I installed that and after 5 minutes... I was thinking "That's it?".

Seriously, do they even listen to what people report?

zape    0
I found the latest version of WLM in FileHippo.com

This is a public beta. You can download it from Microsoft. Don't download it from anywhere else.

BTW A-Patch has been released :)

niklee    0

Hey ,i have a question

when i install to my laptop (X61,vista business)

the messenger windows border color is different then WLM color theme setting

(please see the pic as below)

but in my desktop has not this problem (vista ultimate)..

anyone dose know this? thank you!

wlmborder418.gif

TomHall    0

Ive noticed that too but thought it was normal!? If you have a conversation with another user of WLM 9, the border at the top of the conversation window changes per person, so I am assuming we are inheriting their choice of theme or something!?

Lee G.    234
Ive noticed that too but thought it was normal!? If you have a conversation with another user of WLM 9, the border at the top of the conversation window changes per person, so I am assuming we are inheriting their choice of theme or something!?

Yes, that's true. I hope that feature can be disabled when WLM 9 is final. Why would you want to inherit your contact's choice of theme? :dontgetit: