[Official] PS3 Game Sharing

Okay so, we're having a problem with my account.

I shared to 4 people (5 including me), but the online system is now claiming 5 systems already active, with it not allowing me, or one of the shared 4 people to activate.

Remember everyone its bound to sharing per PS3, not per game.

Now I'm not one for pointing fingers till this is taken to Sony support, but has anyone I've given my details to have two PS3s in the house, or have used my details on another PS3? Even accidentally?

I'm going to ask everyone later tonight I've shared details with to manually de-activate their systems (ill make a universal password and give it to all of you).

Then one by one we'll all try re-activating.

If it doesn't work, I'll need to call Sony and see if they'll reset everything.

I mean, I could just tell one of the 4 people I shared with to de-activate and let me back on (right now I can't play any of my games), but that's not that fair, plus I do not want a "missing" account share.

It may just be a glitch or something though, most likely with how Dirk was downloading fine one moment, then couldn't the next (Y)

Still Sony will be able to see if the account "Audioboxer" is tied to 5 unique PS3 serial numbers or not. If it is, and they're willing to share that information, then someone must have activated on two PS3s...

Edited by Audioboxer

AB, It's not me. I've only got the one PS3 in my house, and I haven't been sharing your details along. I wouldn't be able to, as I'm assuming you changed your password back, as when I went onto the PS3 today, it was signed out, but still downloading. Jeez, WipEout HD was still going the last time I checked a couple of hours ago. :( It was at about 98% though, so I'm assuming it might be done now, but I can't check, as I'm at college. I'll PM you when I get home. ;)

AB, It's not me. I've only got the one PS3 in my house, and I haven't been sharing your details along. I wouldn't be able to, as I'm assuming you changed your password back, as when I went onto the PS3 today, it was signed out, but still downloading. Jeez, WipEout HD was still going the last time I checked a couple of hours ago. :( It was at about 98% though, so I'm assuming it might be done now, but I can't check, as I'm at college. I'll PM you when I get home. ;)

Cool, tell me if it plays okay!

Whatever has gone wrong has happened between CY:G and Dirk, as they both had the same logins.

It went, Sethos - DM - You - Dirk and everyone was downloading fine, then I let CY:G try and he couldn't download (because limit of 5 had been reached - at this point though I thought I could share to 5 people excluding myself).

Then Dirk PMs me later to say Wipeouts downloaded, but his system is de-activated and won't play Wipeout/let him download anything else.

Strange though, as the only way to de-activate an account is to manually do so on your own system :/

Dirk must have cocked something up, or the systems glitched :laugh:

Games I have are

Pixel Junk Eden

WipEoutHD

Blood Siren Curse << Not sure if that is sharable

Games I wouldn't mind swapping for

R&C Quest for Booty Bay

Last Man

Tekken

Super Rub a Dub

Burnout

I have a "shared" master account just to buy games. Me and my friend split the price so we basically get PSN games at half the price. Siren became a 15? game for u:):)

I got a few games i don't mind sharing.

Ratchett quest for booty

Burnout Paradise

Siren

Pain - including a few characters and the amusment park add on.

I won't be able to share till this evening though (UK). I don't really want anything in return unless LBP demo is shareable :p

I just need to make a disclaimer here guys, as things can perhaps get a little sticky with this I was thinking...

Be extremely careful who you share with, as Staff is not going to intervene if something goes wrong. What I mean is if you give out your username and password to someone and they abuse it, we are not going to warn the person, etc., as you willingly gave out your info. Yeah, no doubt I may contact someone on someone's behalf if I am asked to do so, but all it would be is a friendly PM, nothing to do with that members status on the site.

Also I know Neowin shows up high on Google in just a matter of days, so naturally do not hook anyone up who just signs up for this, as I am imagine there are going to be a few people who do.

I know all of this is me just repeating the obvious, but I did want to repeat it. :yes:

Audio I just went ahead and deactivated my system since I won't be "fully" up for a while. Send me a PM later to let me know what is up.

And apparently I missed my 1000th post somewhere. Hmm.

It was the one on the last page. DOH!

Edited by Dirk

I just need to make a disclaimer here guys, as things can perhaps get a little sticky with this I was thinking...

Be extremely careful who you share with, as Staff is not going to intervene if something goes wrong. What I mean is if you give out your username and password to someone and they abuse it, we are not going to warn the person, etc., as you willingly gave out your info. Yeah, no doubt I may contact someone on someone's behalf if I am asked to do so, but all it would be is a friendly PM, nothing to do with that members status on the site.

Also I know Neowin shows up high on Google in just a matter of days, so naturally do not hook anyone up who just signs up for this, as I am imagine there are going to be a few people who do.

I know all of this is me just repeating the obvious, but I did want to repeat it. :yes:

Yeah kinda hoping people will take the precautions of deleting their card details etc...

Also a bit of common sense, thankfully i think most people on here know the regular posters and can soon spot a one post wonder :)

*snip*

well said, i was going to say people should be careful about sharing with people who haven't been at Neowin for long and have single digit post counts >.<

But i guess if things do go wrong, call sony, get them to deactivate all other machines, sorted :) (i hope)

I'm gonna choose to stay out here. I got a fair few titles still but in addition to DL's comments. There are a select few members here who I could trust with such details, but I am very careful due to the fact that my account is in my name, with my address, email etc assigned to it.

I just want to remind members of this in addition to what DL says. An unscrupulous user may use your details for more than just PSN.

Maybe they should have a built in gift system so that you can give away copies of this stuff without the headaches?

I'm gonna choose to stay out here. I got a fair few titles still but in addition to DL's comments. There are a select few members here who I could trust with such details, but I am very careful due to the fact that my account is in my name, with my address, email etc assigned to it.

I just want to remind members of this in addition to what DL says. An unscrupulous user may use your details for more than just PSN.

Maybe they should have a built in gift system so that you can give away copies of this stuff without the headaches?

The reason why is so cumbersome is because im pretty sure Sony NEVER expected people to share that info over the internet, this feature was implemented to share games between family members or close friends to whom you have "real world" access to...

Like lets say you go to your friend's house and you want to play a 2 player match of a PSN title that he doesn't have, but you do...

It sounds like an account exploit honestly... Next firmware update: no more sharing...

Actually this is nothing new, has existed from the beginning and Sony is well aware of it, if they want to they can lock the game to only one PS3 (Warhawk, GT5P).

I saw an interview where they talk to Sony's gaming division president or something and they are Ok with it, of course i dont think they meant sharing games over the internet with stranger.s..

Edited by CY:G

(Y) Especially after that horrid stabbing, we might as well play it safe.

(Y) Especially after that horrid stabbing, we might as well play it safe.

:p

But in all seriousness, I've had a few scares regarding identity theft and I'm very wary about it now.

The reason why is so cumbersome is because im pretty sure Sony NEVER expected people to share that info over the internet, this feature was implemented to share games between family members or close friends to whom you have "real world" access to...

Like lets say you go to your friend's house and you want to play a 2 player match of a PSN title that he doesn't have, but you do...

Actually this is nothing new, has excited from the beginning and Sony is well aware of it, if they want to they can lock the game to only one PS3 (Warhawk, GT5P).

I saw an interview where they talk to Sony's gaming division president or something and they are Ok with it, of course i dont think they meant sharing games over the internet with stranger.s..

That's what I'm thinking... I wasn't flaming. It seems to me if you have to remove your personal information to share it was probably intended to share between your PS3s in your house. I'll revise my prediction: they will update it so you can only share with PS3s on the same LAN. :)