Windows Server 2003 Gaming?

312 members have voted

1. 1. Windows Server 2003 Gaming?

• NO
    • YES
    • Windows Server 2003 is FOR SERVERS ONLY!

I voted no because it is stupid in my opinion. Its a server, XP and 2000 Pro play games perfectly fine.

Also forget about piracy, if you were purchsing the OS its damn expensive to use for games.

well i have tested it and i lost 1000 points on 3dmark 2001

if you are a gamer stay with windows xp or windows 98

Did you install the latest drivers, and turn up your hardware acceleration and enable Direct Draw & Direct3D?

stick to XP/win2k for your desktop.

If you want to play with servers , play with linux.

No, you want 2000 or 2003 server with Active Directory installed. It makes a great Domain COntroller.

It's a server OS. Why the heck would you want it for gaming? Sheesh, I just don't understand people these days... *walks away muttering to self....*

Its Really an Operating System, with "Server Services" nothing stopping you from playing games on it.

Think of it that way :D

Well I might try Windows 2003 because it's both more stable than XP and also has a domain controller, which is nice when you want to remotey administrate the computers in your home... :happy:

Well I might try Windows 2003 because it's both more stable than XP and also has a domain controller, which is nice when you want to remotey administrate the computers in your home... :happy:

Don't need a DC to use remote administration.

A DC would have everything done centrally.

lol.. I ****** up 3 different versions of XP in a time of 2 weeks.. XP is the greatest pile of **** I've ever seen ^^ (sry) Win2k is the "best" win of all... running it for 5 months now, without the system ever crashing fully... It's the most stable OS for gamers available ^^

P.S.: I am bringing als wins to their borders, because I am a hardcore gamer... every week about 5 games installed and kicked afterwards.. oh and don't forget the free and usefull apps flying through the net... there's no day without an installation...

Besides XP slows down dramatically after some time (When finally it's working without errors for some days..)

all, i gotta say it would be great! but it does not perform well with ati, i mean the drivers arn't the best, ther compatible, but not completly, everytime i play a game, yes its a bit faster than xp, but then again, it crashes in the middle of me playing it, i keep geting the BSOD, heck, i get it more than on windows me not when i play games *shudders at the thought of me*

I'm using Win2003 on my laptop after using the neowin guide and some tweaks of my own, and i must say it runs very very well. As i am the sole user of the laptop it makes a great little workstation and being NT5.2 it just rocks. The only thing keeping me from using it on my main machine is the fast user switching. My Roommate likes to use my computer when i'm away and i like to keep my account logged in and things going, but as far as i can tell Only 1 user can login locally at a time. As for games, I say with the speed and power of todays computers/servers why not have it run a game every now and then, sure it can be a DC and DNS server or whatever but if the OS allows UT2003 to play at nice framerates why not go for it. And this is after all Neowin a collection of for the most part well above average and advanced users who do things like Run Server OS on there desktop, Linux is known to be a server os but no one gets all ****y that it can run Quake 3 while serving web, mail, databases and the like in the background, but people sure are adamant about a Microsoft OS doing the same thing...

lol.. I ****** up 3 different versions of XP in a time of 2 weeks.. XP is the greatest pile of **** I've ever seen ^^ (sry) Win2k is the "best" win of all... running it for 5 months now, without the system ever crashing fully... It's the most stable OS for gamers available ^^

P.S.: I am bringing als wins to their borders, because I am a hardcore gamer... every week about 5 games installed and kicked afterwards.. oh and don't forget the free and usefull apps flying through the net... there's no day without an installation...

Besides XP slows down dramatically after some time (When finally it's working without errors for some days..)

I couldn't agree with you more, 2k is the BEST for gaming, I use it over XP without a shadow of a doubt.

server only. i tried it out a bit and turned it into a workstation using the guide but i still just can't see why anyone would want to use it over xp as a workstation