Windows 7 Build 695x revealed at WinHEC 2008 China

i7 is not worth the premium especially since DDR3 (as of now) holds no merit over DDR2. Shanghai IMO makes perfect economic sense.

maybe , maybe not .

since i7 base module 2.6 920 300$

outperform core 2 Quad exterme QX9770 3.2ghz 1200$+

DDR3 get really expensive with 1600 mhz ram and up

What is the build number of the leaked version ?

Darn... didn't saw the "j/k" and the smile added...

Had high hopes for some new and fresh build... :(

Edited by PrEzi

there's no way in hell it boots from a cold boot in 5 seconds

*cough* bull**** *cough*

Why not? My current system boots into Vista in 12 seconds, it's not really that crazy to have reduced it 7 seconds.

MS please please please don't let OEM's touch my bootscreen...they'll make it into some fugly bitmap of their logo that doesn't even have a loading bar.....I'm begging you...don't let them

It would be cool if they could streamline the boot process to be more like mac, the new macbook boots up in about 5secs flat from cold. I don't know what they've chopped out the boot process to achieve that, but (especially for a nix based os) it's damn impressive.

I'd love to know which Macbook you're talking about. Mine certainly couldn't do that (booted Win7 faster than Leopard actually, though Tiger was faster than both). And the brand new Macbook my friend has certainly doesn't boot anywhere near that fast.

Why not? My current system boots into Vista in 12 seconds, it's not really that crazy to have reduced it 7 seconds.

My media center cold boots to the desktop in 8 seconds :)

I like the new jump list button on the taskbar, if that's true, it seems like some people couldn't get the idea of right-clicking before. It's funny how many normal PC users don't use the right-click options much if at all.

Giving them a jumplist button like that is a good move.

Then there's also the bit about opening a 2nd window, though you can middle-click on the button iirc, or use the jumplist, maybe they can find a better why for doing that also.

Like what I see!

but regarding macs, the 5 seconds boot, isn't it from a sort of sleep/hibernate? because vista does the same from sleep, 5 seconds or so.

I have a new aluminum MacBook and no, it does not boot "in about 5secs flat from cold." It takes at least 15-20 seconds.

I have a mackbook 13" 2.1Ghz. Cold boots in 11 seconds, boots from standby in les than a second. Has wifi up and running from standby in less than 3 seconds.

who cares about the boot screen ? there are programs you can get to make the screen anything you want it to be.

That might be a little harder in 7. All of the files that control the boot screen have a digital signature on them that if broken, breaks the boot screen (it actually reverts to the vista one).

My media center cold boots to the desktop in 8 seconds :)

There you go. So to say 5 seconds isn't entirely false. :p

I am totally looking forward to the beta!

That might be a little harder in 7. All of the files that control the boot screen have a digital signature on them that if broken, breaks the boot screen (it actually reverts to the vista one).

:(

Why do people keep saying they hope this build will leak? It's not being given out is it? Just being previewed, like at PDC where they gave build 6801 out. It is unlikely to leak if that is the case as no other 69XX build has leaked so far lol.

Why do people keep saying they hope this build will leak? It's not being given out is it? Just being previewed, like at PDC where they gave build 6801 out. It is unlikely to leak if that is the case as no other 69XX build has leaked so far lol.

Because Asian countries are known for high rates of piracy.

That I think is a mistake, they shouldn't let them. They'll make something completely ****ty looking. Thats just me though.

If you ask me, all the OEMs will do is take the stock Windows 7 screen and slap their company's logo on the bottom right. The worst they can do is plaster that model's specs all over the screen, instead of having to stick stickers onto the laptop's body :p

Looks like they up'ed the vista score system. Now the cpu is going as high as a 7.2

Yes they have. However in 6801 they put an artificial score cap for users who have less than 3 GB of RAM; your WEI score will be no higher than 5.5. I hope they reconsider that cap; it's a step backwards from Vista considering everything else is getting higher scores. Your computer's RAM capacity shouldn't be the sole deciding factor, its bus speed and timings play just an equal role.

How many apps do you guys have installed?

The more apps usually the slower. (boot times)

True, but you need to remember that none of the boot times quoted by the Windows 7 Team include applications. "To Desktop" is defined as the desktop showing. It doesn't have to be responsive at all.

True, but you need to remember that none of the boot times quoted by the Windows 7 Team include applications. "To Desktop" is defined as the desktop showing. It doesn't have to be responsive at all.

WRONG!

Every measurement the Windows team conducts is the time until the desktop is responsive (user can click on the start button and open Notepad, Explorer, etc).

Enough about the Win7 OS, tell me about this computer Win7 is running on. 7.2? 7.9? Or the Chinese just trying to **** around with us? (there is a way to alter the results)