PS3 Media Server

Still no go :(

This is what my log says:

[main] TRACE 18:32:28.680 Starting Java PS3 Media Server v1.02.1

[main] TRACE 18:32:28.682 by shagrath / 2008

[main] TRACE 18:32:28.683 http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com

[main] TRACE 18:32:28.683

[main] TRACE 18:32:28.683 Java 1.6.0_11-Sun Microsystems Inc.

[main] TRACE 18:32:28.683 OS Windows Vista x86 6.1

[main] TRACE 18:32:28.684 Encoding: 850

[main] TRACE 18:32:28.687 Temp folder: C:\Users\Emil\AppData\Local\Temp\javaps3media

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.076 AVISynth not found! Transcoder profile AviSynth/FFmpeg will not be used!

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.076 Registering transcoding engine FFmpeg Audio

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.079 Registering transcoding engine MEncoder

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.081 AVISynth not found! Transcoder profile Avisynth/MEncoder will not be used!

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.081 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Audio

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.081 Registering transcoding engine MEncoder Web

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.082 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Video Dump

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.082 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Web

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.083 Registering transcoding engine TsMuxer

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.084 Registering transcoding engine Audio High Fidelity

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.084 Executable of transcoder profile VideoLan Audio Streaming not found!

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.084 Executable of transcoder profile VideoLan Video Streaming not found!

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.085 Registering transcoding engine FFmpeg DVR-MS Remux

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.085 AviSynth in not installed ! You cannot use avsmencoder as transcoding engine !

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.419 Using address /83.249.152.115 found on network interface: name:eth3 (Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller) index: 12 addresses: /83.249.152.115;

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.421 Created socket: /83.249.152.115:5001

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.467 Using following UUID: 34d0d990-6e2c-3f88-9722-f55a5a350687

[Thread-11] TRACE 18:32:30.470 Starting DLNA Server on host 83.249.152.115 and port 5001...

[main] TRACE 18:32:31.078 It's ready! You should see the server appears on XMB

[Thread-15] TRACE 18:32:32.390 Receiving search request from 83.249.152.115! Sending DISCOVER message...

[Thread-15] TRACE 18:32:35.390 Receiving search request from 83.249.152.115! Sending DISCOVER message...

[Thread-15] TRACE 18:32:39.390 Receiving search request from 83.249.152.115! Sending DISCOVER message...

[Thread-15] TRACE 18:32:42.390 Receiving search request from 83.249.152.115! Sending DISCOVER message...

[Thread-15] TRACE 18:32:45.390 Receiving search request from 83.249.152.115! Sending DISCOVER message...

Yeah that's exactly what I had and the last message keeps on repeating.

What's your network setup like? Are you using DHCP? If you are, try setting up your network with static addresses and then either port forward 5001 (as well as making sure it's not being blocked by your firewall). Or you can setup the PS3's IP as the DMZ but that's the lazy route to solving problems.

I also uninstalled/reinstalled the program before it worked, have you tried that? Worth trying just to make sure.

I can confirm that the DISCOVER spam does not prevent it from working. In fact, it spams this even if the PS3 is not on.

Windows 7 x64, not added to firewall, PS3 has a dynamic local IP over Wireless, router not in DMZ.

Yeah that's why my first guess was a Windows 7 problem, because you shouldn't have to go to the trouble of setting the network up like that. Its just to see if it eliminates the problem.

Just checked this again, thanks to whoever posted the DVR-MS link, works now (Y)

Now, if only we could change the icon or server name easily..

The server name is your PC name, which can be changed in Windows (not sure how though, but it can be).

Icon is probably related to the .exe file, so you can probably grab reshack ( http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/ ) and replace the icon by opening the exe file and replacing the icon with another icon.

Just checked this again, thanks to whoever posted the DVR-MS link, works now (Y)

Now, if only we could change the icon or server name easily..

You're welcome :)

The name and server icon is the first one I actually liked of all the servers I tried, but being able to change it would probably be cool.

Go suggest it on the developers google page, If the guy likes the idea he will probably accept it as a new feature request.

This is what my log says:

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.419 Using address /83.249.152.115 found on network interface: name:eth3 (Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller) index: 12 addresses: /83.249.152.115;

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.421 Created socket: /83.249.152.115:5001

[main] TRACE 18:32:30.467 Using following UUID: 34d0d990-6e2c-3f88-9722-f55a5a350687

[Thread-11] TRACE 18:32:30.470 Starting DLNA Server on host 83.249.152.115 and port 5001...

[main] TRACE 18:32:31.078 It's ready! You should see the server appears on XMB

[Thread-15] TRACE 18:32:32.390 Receiving search request from 83.249.152.115! Sending DISCOVER message...

That looks like an external ip address, how did you permit communication in your firewall, did you permit internet access or what?

You should consider getting a router that supports UPnP.

Will PS3MediaServer stream from VLC in the future? I was just looking at the settings tab and saw "VideoLan Video Streaming" (I presume things such as streaming live TV from a tv card could be done then).

Will PS3MediaServer stream from VLC in the future? I was just looking at the settings tab and saw "VideoLan Video Streaming" (I presume things such as streaming live TV from a tv card could be done then).

Most likely, with some configuring you can get VLC streaming through TVersity right now.

1.3 is out :)

Hello there

Some fresh news from the development front, as there's a new version out there! Two interesting things: First, Windows users who owns multicores processors will be pleased to know that, this version includes a custom build of mencoder optimized for multicores and H264 content, based on the great work of the ffmpeg team. Benefits ? recent CPUs are now fully used, rather than the usual 60, 65% usage with the default mencoder build (that means a 30% performance gain on mine for example), so you can almost ditch your CoreAVC / AviSynth installs... Be careful though, this is somewhat very young, so you can disable it if any problems arise...

The another thing is that, we have a new forum :) You can join here... feel free to participate !

PS3 Media Server v1.03 for Windows/Linux/OSX

Here's the changelog:

- Changes / Features

Customize encoding parameters (along with default ones) for any given container/codec/property combination (purpose: A/V sync, playback issues, and tweaking for advanced users)

Ability to select networking interface

OSX 10.4 Tiger support (Intel only)

Settings reorganization

M4V now streamed by default, you have to enter the #Transcoded# folder to force the transcode (like AVI files)

WMA now transcoded by default

Italian localization

WINDOWS ONLY: Use (only with 720p/1080p H264 content) an experimental mencoder build for multicores

New OSX icon (thanks to Jakob Karlsson)

Added a "Skip/Force transcode extensions" option added if default settings don't suit you

Possibility to only remux AC3 audio tracks and not reencoded them

- Fixes

Default platform charset issue

Transcode buffer optimization on Windows

Application crash on Windows when too many widechars filenames were parsed

Audio tracks sorted by track number (if present) in media library

Better filenames/subtitles management (m2ts/ts/dvr-ms issues, comas, widechars, etc.)

External subtitles not always loaded, again

DVD images are listed in the media library

Fixed RSS parsing for Youtube and maybe other feeds

AviSynth / VideoLAN not always detected on Vista 64bits

Unavailable engines exclusion on OSX/Linux

Fixed console mode on Linux

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Once MKV2VOB gets it's update to 2.4 (any day now), I'm finally gonna update my PS3 HD guide :p

Coverart for a folder now links to all the video files if it's called folder.jpg as well.

ps. For multi-core support, you have to turn it on under Transcoder settings. It's off by default.

Edited by Audioboxer

BTW i got the Media Server service to start on startup. I had to go into the Windows services manager and change it from there.

Does anyone know how to hide the #transcoded# and Web folders that show up in the XMB?

BTW i got the Media Server service to start on startup. I had to go into the Windows services manager and change it from there.

Does anyone know how to hide the #transcoded# and Web folders that show up in the XMB?

You can hide the video settings folder, but you need the transcoded folder.

It's how you tell it to transcode any files that won't work ;)

The application is created so you can do everything needed from your couch on your PS3. Instead of running to your PC and having to tweak things.

I guess for those that don't need to transcode anything, it's a bit "useless", but every now and then even I come across a file that needs transcoding - Especially if it's a flash file/off a video camera/realplayer or something a little more obscure.

I was using TVersity for my media server requirements, but in the end i switched back to just using the media server functionality built into WMP

You can hide the video settings folder, but you need the transcoded folder.

It's how you tell it to transcode any files that won't work ;)

The application is created so you can do everything needed from your couch on your PS3. Instead of running to your PC and having to tweak things.

I guess for those that don't need to transcode anything, it's a bit "useless", but every now and then even I come across a file that needs transcoding - Especially if it's a flash file/off a video camera/realplayer or something a little more obscure.

Ok. Like you say, i don't ever find myself having to change settings on my PS3 before or during watching a TV show because everything just seems to work so it is a bit useless for me. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal and otherwise i'm happy with the program!

How do I actually get it to transcode a file?

If I go to the #TRANSCODED# folder there is a folder with the name of the file I want to watch, but nothing inside. Bit confused, this is the first file it's had trouble with for me. Oh and it's an avi.

God damnit, the latest version has the same problems as the experimental beta - Can't even play a simple divX .AVI file.

Well, it plays CD 2 but refuses to play CD 1, "Data Type not supported"

the program does what it's supposed to do, but for some reason mkv (720p) files are stuttery, i've got everything connected over cable, so speed should not be an issue. my laptop has pretty poor specs though and i can't really view mkv's on my laptop locally either, does that have to do with it not running good?

the program does what it's supposed to do, but for some reason mkv (720p) files are stuttery, i've got everything connected over cable, so speed should not be an issue. my laptop has pretty poor specs though and i can't really view mkv's on my laptop locally either, does that have to do with it not running good?

In that situation, I would just copy over the file first and delete after watching it. Should stop the stuttering problems :)

The biggest tax on your computer/laptop when streaming is the disk speed access (hard drive).

Hard drives in laptops probably aren't going to be the fastest, so when you're trying to stream a 4-8GB file it may well stutter...

CPU also plays a part in things, as well as RAM, and general PC specs.