Windows 7 Official Public Beta

That's a very bad statement bro do your research, no slow down what are you referring too applications only?

Actually "bro" it's a very accurate statement, 32 bit programs do not suffer any noticable slow down running under 64bit OS, infact, in some benchmarks, 32 bit games were actually faster to do better memory management etc in the 64 bit architecture, so get off your lazy ass already and try it.

Must... Resist.. Temptation.. to... prove... wrong....

EDIT: Only SOME x86 applications, have been configured to use WOW64. wow for slow performance on other applications!

CES is on in 3 hours :woot:

No emulation is required for WOW64 on x86-64 (x64).

WOW64 runs transparently and applications do not need to freaking be coded for it as windows vista 64bit will run any 32bit application just fine as if it was native and i have yet to see any currently configured 64bit vista system with full updates and updated drives Not run an 32bit application at the same speed as a 32bit version of the OS or faster in some cases

Stop confusing XP X64 witch has been abandoned

install from boot.

So if I understand this correctly: Dual booting Win7 64 and XP 32 is not an option? I've been dual booting Win7 and XP and must say it's very convienient. Of course I installed Win7 from the XP interface which I can no longer do with the Win7 64 version?

Maybe the error is because I do not have an unassigned partition at the moment? I was not going to install Win7 64, but was checking out the burn.

Time to create a small partition and see if the imcompatibility error vanishes... Don't want to wipe Win7 32 just yet.

Edited by Kivstev

So if I understand this correctly: Dual booting Win7 64 and XP 32 is not an option? I've been dual booting Win7 and XP and must say it's very convienient. Of course I installed Win7 from the XP interface which I can no longer do with the Win7 64 version.

Maybe the error is because I do not have an unassigned partition at the moment?

You can dual boot them anyway you like, you just cant launch a 64bit install from within a 32 bit environment. I dual boot 32 bit and 64bit just fine.

With your situation you will have wanted to install xp and then windows 7, because windows xp's multi boot manager will not pick up windows 7 or vista, but windows 7 boot manager will pick up xp. You can get around this but it's a pain in the butt.

Actually "bro" it's a very accurate statement, 32 bit programs do not suffer any noticable slow down running under 64bit OS, infact, in some benchmarks, 32 bit games were actually faster to do better memory management etc in the 64 bit architecture, so get off your lazy ass already and try it.

Tryed already with XP 64Bit which was so bad and Windows Vista 64Bit and also games don't allocate over 4GB so what's the need for 64bit yet for?

Alot of people just thinks wow 64bit is better because it's 64bit and the main advantage this OS has over 32bit is that it can allocate more memory faster when needed.

And if games do not want alot of memory while playing then this concept would not pull through very well it becomes a performance much of a muchness 32bit vs 64bit.

If you have an application that is limited by the 2GB user VM in 32-bit Windows, then 64-bit will help you there as well (regardless of how much physical memory you have). But those apps are few and far between. One that does manage to hit it is Lord Of The Rings Online if you max out the graphics settings and use the special super-hi-res texture pack.

Hmm. Quoted from brandon :)

Tryed already with XP 64Bit which was so bad and Windows Vista 64Bit and also games don't allocate over 4GB so what's the need for 64bit yet for?

Alot of people just thinks wow 64bit is better because it's 64bit and the main advantage this OS has over 32bit is that it can allocate more memory faster when needed.

And if games do not want alot of memory while playing then this concept would not pull through very well it becomes a performance much of a muchness 32bit vs 64bit.

Try to make sense next time, and maybe put down the bong before posting. If XP 64bit performed worse for you, you failed to install drivers.

Am I reading this right - you can't upgrade from vista to 7 with this beta release you can only do a fresh install?

Its a beta, would you really want to upgrade to it? Especially if it was buggy in the upgrade and messed up your old OS? Betas should be fresh installs imo, especially since they're meant to be for testing, not as a main OS.

Am I reading this right - you can't upgrade from vista to 7 with this beta release you can only do a fresh install?

Uh, do a backup, and install ontop of the partition, it "May" upgrade it, but it could also ruin it...

Its a beta, would you really want to upgrade to it? Especially if it was buggy in the upgrade and messed up your old OS? Betas should be fresh installs imo, especially since they're meant to be for testing, not as a main OS.

So upgrading from Vista wouldn't be something that Microsoft would like tested? So much for selling those "Upgrade" copies.. :rolleyes:

Uh, do a backup, and install ontop of the partition, it "May" upgrade it, but it could also ruin it...

Installing on top of the same partition Vista is on will overwrite everything. Did anybody notice if there was an upgrade option when they installed it.

You can, but it's advised the best way to do things is always a clean install. I could be wrong :p

Thanks! I'm not going to install it. I'll wait until it's RTM. I agree the best way would be to do a clean install.

Try to make sense next time, and maybe put down the bong before posting. If XP 64bit performed worse for you, you failed to install drivers.

It's a known fact that XP 64bit was built poorly and the built in WOW64 Emulator does not improve performance over 32bit OS.

Vista on the other hand is a different story.

It's a known fact that XP 64bit was built poorly and the built in WOW64 Emulator does not improve performance over 32bit OS.

Vista on the other hand is a different story.

Just..no.