Sony calls out Xbox and Wii as flea market peddlers

"The Xbox 360 requires additional money, multiple upgrades, and additional external devices, putting a burden on the wallet, and (it) adds clutter to the entertainment center.

"And the Wii's lack of enhanced features comes at the expense of a comprehensive entertainment solution."

WTF!

Additional money? Games, yeah, sorry not everyone can bootleg games.

Multiple Upgrades? Upgrade from what to what? Arcade to a hard drive? That's the ONLY upgrade I can see

Additional external devices? What console and what world is this from? Only "additional" external device Microsoft has is the HD-DVD drive, which is no longer in production.

Whoever announces press releases for Sony should be fired. They are only digging themselves a bigger grave acting like a bunch of 8 year olds.

Sony needs to show us positives before people adopt the technology. Bashing the competition is only begging and pleading to stay in the spotlight.

Sony's PS3 has turned into Britney Spears of the gaming world.

I think I'm gonna stop doing that myself.

Did you see how the PS3 sales growing topic ended up? It might as well have been a negative article :laugh:

And yeah, I do try to post more positive topics than negative, negative topics 9 times out of 10 just serve as a cesspool for fighting, arguing and people ending up with warnings/bans around here.

We ain't a news website trying to run every article possible, we're a gaming community on a forum. I just try to post what's best for the forum and members, not saying that always has to be sugar coated topics, but unless the negative article is treading new ground I'm always dubious about posting something that's gonna reign in the same 200 arguments we've been having since E32005.

Everyone can do what they want, that's just how I plan on conducting my article creating from now on.

But that's what makes a forum a forum! If we choose to only post neutral articles because there are some people going to extremes, then might as well not have a forum. As long as rules aren't broken by the poster then there should be no problem. As for the posts themselves, that's why we have mods and they will take care of things. I would hate to see Neowin turn into a gray, neutral, "everything is OK" type of site.

But that's what makes a forum a forum! If we choose to only post neutral articles because there are some people going to extremes, then might as well not have a forum. As long as rules aren't broken by the poster then there should be no problem. As for the posts themselves, that's why we have mods and they will take care of things. I would hate to see Neowin turn into a gray, neutral, "everything is OK" type of site.

Freedom of speech dude, carry on posting what you want :) (Y)

All I've begun to realize is this "healthy discussion" this section needs to run on rarely comes out of topics like this, as I've been part of and witnessed what happens to pretty much every debate about "PR speak".

It all ends the same! No one really likes PR speak, so it ends up a bashathon for the company behind it, no real discussion (no ones going to come in defending PR speak, you know?) between members until people take it upon their hands to discuss not the PR, but the pro's and cons of the consoles and which is "better"/who's gonna win the war/ect. Then it isn't even related to the PR in the first place any more is it, it's just a console war :pinch: lol.

This one ain't treading any new ground either, we've been on the boat of console addons/accessories 1,000 times, so I can't even give it the benefit of the doubt of saying it's a fresh PR blunder :p

IMO the best debates just happen naturally (not forced out of some PR article), like say in the Home topic between me and Munky/Sethos ;)

We should really just have the

[Official] PR Words of Wisdom - We're the best, really! Seriously! Buy our console.

And post every PR blunder in there :p

Edited by Audioboxer

I think the title CNet gave that article is extremely misleading.

I, for one, don't disagree with Sony here. Its console is more feature-complete. But, at the same time, not everyone wants or needs (or can even support) Blu-ray, a bigger hard drive, or a wireless connection. As Audioboxer said earlier, Microsoft slammed Home previously, and I don't disagree with Microsoft on that, either. Home is a letdown, IMO.

Kind of silly to even include this in a press release, though.

sniped

I was just walking by, smoking my joint and boooom!! a sony-ed wall of text :pinch:

:laugh: I love those sony guys, I want more of what they're smoking

In order for it to make sense you have to read the press release, which is linked in the original story and my post. I also replied after with the specific quote that led to the title.

I, for one, don't disagree with Sony here. Its console is more feature-complete. But, at the same time, not everyone wants or needs (or can even support) Blu-ray, a bigger hard drive, or a wireless connection. As Audioboxer said earlier, Microsoft slammed Home previously, and I don't disagree with Microsoft on that, either. Home is a letdown, IMO.

Kind of silly to even include this in a press release, though.

I disagree on that part. First, unlike PS3 the 360 doesn't require HDD for games. Even then, they used Core as starting point. That is extremely misleading. You might as well add the cost of ethernet+HDMI cable and headset on the PS3 side, which they didn't. This was Sony PR bending the truth and if I may call such - borderline lying.

I might as well add the cost of HBO subscription on PS3 side since I can't watch Netflix on PS3. And may be club membership as well since I can exercise using the Wii.

How does the 360 not requiring an HDD make the statements wrong, however.

The PS3 has wireless right out of the box, a larger hard drive, and a Blu-ray player. There's no arguing that. Period. The cost of an ethernet cable is negligible, although the headset is a valid point -- those tend to run $20 or $30.

Sony didn't "borderline" lie. They told the truth. Are they not going to mention the ethernet and wireless headset? Uh, duh, of course not -- it's a PRESS RELEASE! From Sony! Why would they mention something that makes THEM look bad in THEIR OWN press release? :blink:

Your Netflix argument is funny. You can't browse the Internet on the 360, so should you just add the price of a netbook to the 360's price?

No, it doesn't count. Rumble is rarely a necessary part of the game. It's nice for some games, but much of the time doesn't even matter.

For those of us with routers in different rooms than our gaming consoles, wi-fi is a necessity. Not having to buy a wi-fi addon, or a 2nd router to use as a wired access point just to download demos, play the (supposedly) necessary online add-ons for games, or even download other games is a nice bonus.

I would make some sort of comment about "just like how lots of XBox 360 owners had to buy a whole new console just to get HDMI or a console that didn't melt", but that well has been dipped into way too many times on here and goes nowhere.

Necessity? Hardly. I have a wireless router and the only necessity I have is that of a cable because my router's wireless ranged doesn't reach my room. A wired connection is not only more essential but more flexible than a wireless one. This is why Microsoft decided it was not need on the 360 as a standard (not to mention it is one less thing you would need to re-make if it failed). Another thing about all these add-ons microsoft is "forcing" you to buy is that it makes the 360 completel future proof. Instead of releasing a new SKU every so often like the PS3 has been, all you need to upgrade is the add-ons. Bigger HDD's, better video outputs, additional players (Blu-ray for example) and even better wireless adapters. All these things can be improved upon individually while the console remains in your home, saving you money in the long run.

If threads like these **** you off, don't enter them in the first place (this goes for everyone complaining about the topic). You all apparently know preemptively by the topic title that a certain thread is going to be "crap" so I have no idea why you bother coming in to it at all.

-Spenser

QFT. I am tired of people being hypocrites, coming in here and moaning about how biased and flamy these threads are when all they are doing is adding to it. Especially Audio, who ends up constantly being the main poster in these kinds of threads yet preaches his hate for them. For christ sake, if you can't keep to discussing the post don't post. Even if the topic is heated, questionable or flame bait the point isn't to complain about it but to post your opinions on it. Don't like it, then don't click it.

it's a bit rich to say the competition require more money where here locally you can get an XBox arcade for $280 or a Pro for $399 with games included where the PS3 is selling for $650 - 680. That and the PS3's controllers retail for somewhere in the 90's where the 360's are more in the $60 wange.

So yeah, maybe the 360 and Wii both have additional costs but a PS3 isn't any better off really besides for the XBox live subscription having a fee.

All these 360 vs PS3 vs Wii remind me so much of my school days...

"My Speccy is cooler than your C64, it has high resolution graphics"

"My C64 can actually play music rather than a bad imitation of a wasp in a tin can"

For me, when I got my PS3 the features mentioned in the press release where the reason I picked the PS3 over the X360.

- Blu-ray - its pretty much the best blu-ray player you can get and its about the same price as other good ones; this feature alone is what allowed my wife to get on board, without this i don't have a ps3

- Wifi - i need wifi for my situation, some people say its not a necessity, but not all of us are college kids who can stretch ethernet cables across the middle of the floor, and why should i have to when i have a wireless router and this console supports that

apart from those things these also contributed -

- i think the media center works a bit better and supports more formats

- alot of Microsoft exclusives aren't truly exclusive, they usually end up on the PC as well and i have a nice gaming pc (at least this is my perception with the games i want); with the PS3 alot of the exclusives you can't play anywhere else, games like MGS and God of War come to mind

- the $150 credit i recieved when i got the sony credit card, i paid the same price for my ps3 as i did for my wii, now to me thats a bargain

Sony needs to really step up the negative marketing, and the others as well.

This is where Apple make their mistake IMHO - and I keep saying this. They shouldn't tell us what the competition is doing BADLY - they should be telling us what they're doing WELL. Selling your product on the supposed downfalls of the competition is a tiresome and irritating trait that I wish would just go away!

Oh man, not ANOTHER article about Sony playing down Microsoft. Seriously, what did anyone expect Sony to do?

I didn't see the PS3 feature complete at launch, infact it was embarrasing with next to nothing in terms of features we now have.

Their comment about larger HDDs.....You need bigger drives on their system because nearly every game has a mandatory install of 1.5GB+ or more. The 360 doesnt need this and it has an optional install if you want to.

How does the 360 not requiring an HDD make the statements wrong, however.

The PS3 has wireless right out of the box, a larger hard drive, and a Blu-ray player. There's no arguing that. Period. The cost of an ethernet cable is negligible, although the headset is a valid point -- those tend to run $20 or $30.

Sony didn't "borderline" lie. They told the truth. Are they not going to mention the ethernet and wireless headset? Uh, duh, of course not -- it's a PRESS RELEASE! From Sony! Why would they mention something that makes THEM look bad in THEIR OWN press release? :blink:

If you wanted a hard drive, you wouldn't buy the Arcade system. You start with at least a Pro - that pretty much brings it up to the spec with a PS3 except for WiFi. Blu-Ray player is completely subjective. I have done this in a different thread previously, since Sony is using all official Microsoft prices - let's add official HDMI cable on PS3's side. It was $80 something the last time I checked. :p It's funny that PS3 doesn't come with a HD cable in the box. Which is probably a major problem to normal people once they go home.

Your Netflix argument is funny. You can't browse the Internet on the 360, so should you just add the price of a netbook to the 360's price?

I just added those in the end to highlight how stupid Sony's arguments were - for the fun as you correctly said. :p

Btw, every heard of this? You need a separate computer but you can browse the internet on a 360.

Your full of ****, it makes me laugh. When your posting news about something positive, there's no major issue with that. But in your case, the only news you post in regards to Sony is that of negativity, and your asking for trouble. I don't care about your crying over lying tactics from Sony. If you bought a X360 over a PS3 and now your whining you did that because Sony put 1 HDMI port instead of 2 like it promised, go tell Sony... :rolleyes:

Audio posts good stuff regarding the PS3 and the X360, he used to have a bias towards Sony, but thats long gone and its usually worth reading his articles. Whereas your posts regarding Sony are strictly anti-Sony. If your not asking for trouble, I don't know what you want?

People have complained about the fighting and arguments in the Gamers Hangout, and thats strictly because of idiots like yourself. I might have a unconditional love for Sony, but you do not see me posting threads on how Microsoft is an ******* to customers because they didn't include x and y features in all their models.

dhan, nothing personal, but your nit-picking over a $20 HDMI cable, and a $20 ethernet cable, and a headset no-one uses? :ninja:

So apparently I'm an idiot because I disagree with your point of view. I find positive news out there and have actually posted a couple but generally by the time I come across this news it's already on Neowin, usually by Audio. It's funny how when I come across negative news that are covered in the same types of media that Audio and others immediately post the positive stuff from I come to Neowin to check and, imagine that, no one has posted it yet!

Sorry, but its disappointing to see the same individuals constantly starting these types of arguments.

When creating a thread like this, you are not thinking "Oh Neowin members are really gonna' like this news", it's just flamebait... and that is what he wants, so that is what he gets.

As for this, I guess you were quickly proven wrong by others that have posted. Do me a favor, if your only argument is "I hate hearing negative Sony stuff you poopy-head" then don't post at all here.

It's funny how when I come across negative news that are covered in the same types of media that Audio and others immediately post the positive stuff from I come to Neowin to check and, imagine that, no one has posted it yet!

Dude what are YOU peddling now? :p (tbh I just don't really understand what you mean with the above remark)

I already said as part of my new "rescheme" for the NW GH I'm gonna be focussing a lot more on posting things I first of all am personally interested in, and secondly which show things I like about my consoles. I'm not an official Neowin news poster, so what I post on the forums doesn't really need to adhere to any standards to help the front page, I genuinely just pick things from all over the web I'm interested in, or think others will enjoy.

Someone else can post the negative stuff, but stop spotlighting me posting positive stuff as if it's bad :p - If anything it's what actually ends up providing good discussion and what tends to bring even the members who've had rough pasts together.

If it weren't for the KZ2 topic, me Sethos and Munky would be rallying up for round #8,432. :shiftyninja: (which is still coming soon, to a forum near you!)

Anyway, point taken from the others calling me out in here, I shall just avoid topics from now on I can't contribute anything worthwhile in (Y) I'll keep track of them though to read all the "entertaining" discussions they bring ;)

Dude what are YOU peddling now? :p (tbh I just don't really understand what you mean with the above remark)

I already said as part of my new "rescheme" for the NW GH I'm gonna be focussing a lot more on posting things I first of all am personally interested in, and secondly which show things I like about my consoles. I'm not an official Neowin news poster, so what I post on the forums doesn't really need to adhere to any standards to help the front page, I genuinely just pick things from all over the web I'm interested in, or think others will enjoy.

Someone else can post the negative stuff, but stop spotlighting me posting positive stuff as if it's bad :p - If anything it's what actually ends up providing good discussion and what tends to bring even the members who've had rough pasts together.

If it weren't for the KZ2 topic, me Sethos and Munky would be rallying up for round #8,432. :shiftyninja: (which is still coming soon, to a forum near you!)

Anyway, point taken from the others calling me out in here, I shall just avoid topics from now on I can't contribute anything worthwhile in (Y) I'll keep track of them though to read all the "entertaining" discussions they bring ;)

Audio, trust me when I tell you that in no way do I think your posting is bad. Sorry if it appears I'm putting in a bad light. I'm actually trying to reinforce my position by comparing it to your posts. I think you should post the positive news items and I don't blame you for skipping some of the negative stuff for the reasons you mention. I'm just saying that if one is willing to accept the positives one should accept the negatives also. You... complete me. :wub:

You... complete me. :wub:

Get ready quick, I'll be in a taxi outside yours in 5 :shifty:

joke post... unless your female.