[Football] Summer 2009 transfer thread

Birmingham sign striker Benitez

Premier League new boys Birmingham City have broken their transfer record to sign Ecuador striker Christian Benitez from Mexican club Santos Laguna.

The fee has not been disclosed but is thought to be more than the ?6.25m they paid for striker Emile Heskey in 2004.

Personal terms have been agreed with Benitez who will travel to England for a medical with his new club next week.

Benitez, who is described as a creative player, has scored 31 goals in his past 58 Primera Division games.

The 23-year-old is the son of one of Ecuador's all-time leading goalscorers, Ermen Benitez, and played in the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

But he recently underwent surgery on a shoulder injury and is unlikely to be involved when Ecuador play World Cup qualifiers against Peru on 7 June and Argentina three days later. (BBC Sport[/b]>)

Hughes keen on Tevez

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes has confirmed his interest in signing Carlos Tevez.

Tevez's future has been the subject of constant speculation with his two-year loan deal at Manchester United expiring at the end of the campaign.

United have first refusal on signing Tevez, but they are thought to be reluctant to pay the price-tag on the Argentine's head.

Widespread reports suggest City are ready to meet the asking price for Tevez as they look to build on their signing of Gareth Barry.

Hughes admits he would be interested in signing Tevez if he becomes available.

"Carlos Tevez is a good player. If good players become available then obviously every manager is interested," Hughes told Sky Sports News. (Sky Sports)

-----------

Elano claims Inter talks

Manchester City midfielder Elano admits he is open to a move to Inter Milan and claims talks have already begun.

The Brazilian, who was signed by former City boss Sven Goran Eriksson from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2007, was in and out of Mark Hughes' team last term and has revealed his wish is for a move to San Siro.

"There is an opened negotiation," he told Gazetta dello Sport.

"I like Inter a lot. Sure, I'm bounded with a contract with Manchester City, but I hope Nerazzurri officials won't stop facing to this - I would like to wear the Inter jersey."

The 27-year-old, who netted five Premier League goals last season, has also revealed his admiration for Inter boss Jose Mourinho and hopes that his compatriots within the club can help swing the deal.

"He's great [Mourinho]. His sides have always left a sign. And all the players who have played with him consider him a phenomenon," said Elano.

"Inter have a big coach but also many great champions. I hope my friend Julio Cesar could spend a word in my favour." (Sky Sports)

AC Deny Real Talks

AC Milan have refuted suggestions that Brazilian playmaker Kaka is in talks with Real Madrid.

Reports on Tuesday suggested the Rossoneri had reached an agreement with their Spanish counterparts regarding the sale of their South American superstar.

An offer of around ?65million was believed to have been agreed, with Kaka set to hold talks with Real in order to thrash out personal terms.

The former World Player of the Year has been strongly linked with a move to the Primera Liga for some time, with Madrid widely touted as his likely destination.

Those rumours have intensified of late, following Florentino Perez's return to the Real presidential hot-seat.

The new Santiago Bernabeu supremo has made no secret of his admiration for Kaka in the past, and was said to have held talks with Milan general manager Adriano Gailliani about a summer swoop.

However, Milan insist their man was in Madrid this week after being invited to attend a dinner with Perez to celebrate his return to power, not to discuss any potential deal for Kaka.

A statement released by the club read: "The general manager of the Rossoneri, Adriano Galliani, is in the city of Madrid exclusively for the investiture dinner of Florentino Perez, the new president of Real Madrid." (Sky Sports[/b]>)

OK now its my turn :)

Russia international Yuri Zhirkov has denied reports that he has agreed to join Chelsea this summer.

Speculation had suggested the CSKA Moscow winger was set for an impending switch to the Premier League, having struck a deal with the Blues.

However, the highly-rated 25-year-old claims he has no knowledge of any such agreement, and insists Chelsea have not even made an approach for his services.

"I honestly know as much about it as everyone else," he told Sport Express ahead of Russia's impending 2010 World Cup qualifier against Finland.

"I read the papers, listen to the radio and I am genuinely surprised, given that no actual offer from Chelsea exists."

Meanwhile..

Chelsea have made an astonishing ?73.5million bid for AC Milan superstar Kaka, according to Sky Sports News sources.

The brilliant Brazilian, widely regarded as one of the finest players on the planet, was targeted by Manchester City in the winter transfer window but elected to remain with the Serie A giants.

Kaka went on record as recently as Tuesday to insist that he was happy with the Rossoneri and had no plans to move on this summer.

But further speculation emerged that Real Madrid were planning a swoop following Florentino Perez's appointment as president, with the returning supremo eager to make another 'Galactico' signing.

And Sky Sports News sources now understand that Chelsea have tabled a bid which trumps the reported offer of ?56million from Santiago Bernabeu.

Former AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti was installed as the new Blues manager on Monday and he could now be set to link up again with the talented playmaker.

Chelsea's ?73.5million bid is reported to be backed up by an offer of ?10million-a-year in wages after tax for Kaka in a bid to lure him to Stamford Bridge.

Trezequet anyone?

David Trezeguet is seemingly on his way out of Juventus after a mediocre season for both the club and himself. The player's agent, Antonio Caliendo, spoke to Goal.com Italia about his client's situation.

"If he leaves Juve, I don't believe he will remain in Italy. Juventus do not want to sell him to a direct competitor," he explained.

"The French option is a little cold. David is not convinced, he would like to evaluate other opportunities."

The Frenchman's representative did highlight a possible move to the Premier League for the 31-year-old goal scorer.

"A move to Britain is a possibility, there are several teams interested in David. Obviously I cannot reveal too much, but you must imagine there are clubs that can afford, in economic terms, an outstanding player like him," he concluded.

And finally!!

Liverpool have moved to beat Real Madrid to the signing of Valencia's David Silva with an offer of cash plus Andrei Voronin as manager Rafael Benitez begins his summer rebuilding plans.

The Reds are believed to have lodged a bid of €17.5 million (?15m) early in the window as they recognise that they could face stiff competition if they wait, according to The Daily Mirror.

Valencia know that they will have to sell certain players this year in order to help ease their financial plight and Liverpool have long been linked with Silva.

"Silva is high on Rafa's wish list and Valencia may have to sell as soon as possible because of their financial situation," a source close to Liverpool told Goal.com.

"Liverpool are said to have made an offer of ?15 million along with striker [Andriy] Voronin.

"However, Real Madrid could also be looking at the midfielder.

"Silva has often expressed a preference to remain in Spain, but Liverpool scout Eduardo Marcia, who discovered Silva as a youth, could play an influential part in negotiations."

Benitez is overhauling his squad after missing out on the title by just two points to Manchester United and he sees Silva as the answer to his problems on the left.

Ryan Babel has flopped at Anfield and the club will use the cash from the Dutchman's sale to fund the move for Silva, although more may be required if Valencia do not want Voronin.

I hope to God Arsene has enough vision to bring him to Arsenal.. he is exactly what we are missing on left wing.. if we can get him and Marcos Senna or Xabi.. we are more or less set in midfield.. I feel he can have the same kind of effect at Liverpool though as Torres had..

Edited by Kralik

Just found 1 more..

Emmanuel Eboue has admitted his future at Arsenal is unclear and claims 'many clubs' are interested in his services.

Rumours of an exit continue to linger, with Inter Milan said to be keen, and Eboue has failed to quell the uncertainty.

He told Soir Info: "My future at Arsenal is not clear yet, I did not play a lot in the season and the World Cup is coming.

"There are many clubs interested in me, so let's wait. Before the season's start I will make a decision."

Sell him..

Edited by Kralik

West Ham have confirmed the capture of Hungary Under-21 goalkeeper Peter Kurucz on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 21-year-old has been on loan at Upton Park from Upjest since February and impressed boss Gianfranco Zola during his time at the club so has been offered a four-year-deal.

He will now battle it out with the likes of Marek Stech, Adam Street and Deniz Mehmet to become Robert Green's understudy next season.

Kurucz was named as a substitute for the first time in the senior squad at Everton last month after a series of impressive displays for the reserves. (Club Call)

-------

Gareth Barry letter: Original and uncut version

I need a new challenge, I have a massive fear of going stale and falling into a comfort zone.

I believe the deal is a good one for the club, I am sure the manager will use the money well to strengthen the team and the club will go from strength to strength.

I am also excited now about my new challenge, a lot of people will question my decision to join Manchester City. They were the club prepared to meet the valuation, which for a 28-year-old, with a year left on his contract, I think shows how much they wanted me.

Once I had spoken to Mark Hughes there was nowhere else I wanted to go. I was also desperate to avoid any long drawn-out saga.

I feel I am joining a club that will seriously challenge to win major honours, people might doubt that, but I am convinced with the plans the club has short term and long term, and the backing the manager will receive from the owners, that we will be a major force.

Also the World Cup has always been a major part of my thinking and I feel at Man City I will get the chance to play regularly in my best position and play a big part in a successful side. Time will tell if I am right or not, but those are my reasons.

I have grown bored of all the speculation surrounding me over the last 12 months and I am sure all the fans have as well.

I am glad I never left last summer because I would have left under a huge cloud.This year I feel things are different. I havent used an agent, I have discussed things with my best friend but ultimately made my own choices and I think the situation has been handled properly by everybody involved and, once again, I have to thank the manager and the club for that.

I genuinely wish the club all the best for the future and want to thank everyone who has helped and supported me during my time here.

For the rest of my life Aston Villa will be the first result I look for. Thanks for everything.

Gareth (source)

Silva is an interesting one, I know we made an approach around 6 weeks ago for him but the quoted price was too high and Benitez came out a few days later saying we were no longer interested in him.

I hope we get him, he is a brilliant player, but he could just as easily flop in the PL.

Neill turns down new Hammers deal

West Ham United defender Lucas Neill has rejected the offer of a new one-year contract.

The Hammers confirmed that the 31-year-old Australian, who arrived from Blackburn for ?1.5 million in January 2007, was now seeking another club.

Neill's agent Darren Jackson said on Monday that his client had hoped to extend his stay at West Ham, but added there was interest from other clubs.

The club website also revealed a list of 12 players remaining with West Ham.

These include Herita Ilunga, whose permanent transfer from Toulouse for an undisclosed fee comes into force this summer, Jack Collison, Mark Noble, Savio Nsereko and Freddie Sears.

Junior Stanislas, Marek Stech, James Tomkins, Dean Ashton, Valon Behrami, Carlton Cole and the club's player of the year Scott Parker will also be featuring for the Hammers next season.

Manager Gianfranco Zola is looking to build on his impressive start at Upton Park after finishing ninth in the Premier League.

But the Italian now has the task of finding a new full-back following the news of Neill's departure. (BBC[/b]>)

------

I am happy tbh I don't like him that much

Chelsea say noooo..

The statement, on the club's official website, reads:

"We have never made an offer to AC Milan for Kaka and therefore not one at this extraordinary level. As a consequence we have not discussed a salary with the player either. Any reports to the contrary are totally untrue."

Milan set Kaka transfer deadline

AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi says Brazilian playmaker Kaka's future will be decided on Monday.

The 27-year-old Kaka has been linked with a move to Real Madrid in a ?56m transfer deal following Florentino Perez's return as president.

Chelsea have also been linked with the Brazilian playmaker, though the London club insisted reports of a ?73.5m offer for Kaka were "totally untrue".

"We've never made an offer to AC Milan for Kaka," said a Chelsea statement.

"As a consequence we have not discussed a salary with the player either. Any reports to the contrary are totally untrue," added the Blues statement.

It had been claimed that Kaka's father and agent Bosco Leite had already sealed the deal in Madrid, with Italian Prime Minister Berlusconi admitting the player may move because "they have offered him so much money".

As well as the player's father, AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani was also in Madrid, although the Italian club insisted that was because he had been invited to a dinner for the election of Perez as Real's new president.

"AC Milan and Real reckon they have the basis for a deal," Spanish football expert Sid Lowe told BBC Radio 5 Live. "But there are things in the way, like the commission to be paid to Kaka's father, and with the European elections coming up on Thursday, Berlusconi will not want to lose him just now."

Earlier this year, Kaka rejected a ?100m transfer and a reported wage offer of ?500,000-a-week to go to Manchester City and in an interview on Tuesday the Brazilian told Gazzetta dello Sport he wanted to stay with the Serie A club. (BBC[/b])

Silva is an interesting one, I know we made an approach around 6 weeks ago for him but the quoted price was too high and Benitez came out a few days later saying we were no longer interested in him.

I hope we get him, he is a brilliant player, but he could just as easily flop in the PL.

Never seen him play myself, but if the increasingly likely looking scenario of Tevez to Man City goes ahead, it would be good to bolster the attacking options.

I also think a little bit of investment is needed in defense, the PL game against arsenal, and the 2 champions league games against Chelsea showed that a little work is still needed there

Never seen him play myself, but if the increasingly likely looking scenario of Tevez to Man City goes ahead, it would be good to bolster the attacking options.

LoL its not just Tevez now.. they want to get Tevez AND Eto'o :D They are going bonkers over strikers at City..

Florentino Perez interview :)

“Nothing will happen this week. But I am going to work so that Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo will be at Real Madrid,” he said in an interview with Antenna 3.

“To work on this matter is not easy and with the pressure that we have on us, it is going to be very difficult.”

The supremo, however, revealed that former interim chief Vicente Boluda had not told him anything about the alleged pre-agreement with 'CR7'.

“I’ve been here for two and a half days but neither Boluda nor anyone else has spoken to me about this agreement,” he divulged.

“What would be really good is that these great players can be here at Madrid this season, and Cristiano would be one of them.”

Finally, Perez returned to the much talked about Kaka transfer tale and the sudden threat, albeit just rumours, posed by Chelsea.

He said, “The problem will not be the presentation of Kaka. The problem will be whether or not he will play at Real Madrid.

“However, their [Chelsea] official notice that they will not compete with us is good news. We have a good relationship with Milan and I am close friends with Adriano Galliani, which will facilitate this agreement.

“Also, the player has shown his willingness to play for us.”

Edited by Kralik

Hammers keen on Frenchman

West Ham are targeting a move for Rennes defender Rod Fanni as a possible replacement for Lucas Neill, skysports.com understands.

The Hammers are in the market for a new right-back after seeing Lucas Neill leave Upton Park at the end of his contract.

Fanni has been linked with a move to England in the past and the Hammers are now weighing up a move for the French international.

The player's agent Dominique Six has admitted West Ham have enquired about Fanni, but there have been no offers for the full-back.

"It's true that we have spoken to West Ham scout Roger Cross who has asked about information on Rod," Six told skysports.com.

"We have had no offers for Rod and West Ham would need to speak to Rennes if they want to do that.

"We believe England would be a good option for Rod, but it depends on Rennes.

"There is also interest from clubs in Spain and Bayern Munich." (Sky Sports)

----------

Martinez heading to Wigan

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is certain that Roberto Martinez will be confirmed as the club's new manager in the next 24 hours.

The Latics have been given permission to open talks with the Swansea boss to fill their hotseat following the departure of Steve Bruce to Sunderland.

Liberty Stadium supremo Huw Jenkins granted Wigan's request to approach their highly-rated manager once a settlement package, believed to be in the region of ?2million was agreed.

Former Latics favourite Martinez, one of the club's famed 'Three Amigos', is now set to hold talks with chief executive Brenda Spencer to finalise his switch to the Premier League side.

Done deal

Whelan told Sky Sports News: "I think it will be a done deal, definitely, by this time tomorrow. It's just a case of Roberto meeting our chief executive and getting the deal signed off.

"We've now been given permission by Swansea to speak to Roberto, our chief executive Brenda Spencer is talking to him this afternoon and hopefully the deal will all be concluded by tomorrow morning.

"I think the chairman at Swansea has realised that football is a cruel game. Sometimes you don't want to lose a manager - I didn't want to lose Steve Bruce but things move on.

"I am delighted, and I know the whole of Wigan will be excited to think we are getting one of the 'Three Amigos' back again."

Whelan confirmed the Spaniard was his top choice for the post on Wednesday and is confident that he will use the extensive contacts in his homeland to bring new faces to the newly-named DW Stadium.

He said: "I've watched his career and he produces players on the park who play football from back to front. I like what I've seen and I'm really excited we've got Roberto back to Wigan.

"He understands the Spanish league fantastically well, and I suspect he will be bringing one or two Spanish lads back in to Wigan.

"We have some money that is required to replace players and Roberto will be given the funds to replace the players that we need."

Priority

Whelan's main target for the coming season is again for Wigan to retain their Premier League status and remain part of England's elite.

He also expects Martinez to bring in a number of his own backroom staff from Wigan after Bruce was joined at the Black Cats by Eric Black, Nigel Spink and Keith Bertschin.

He added: "The priority at Wigan is always the same, you've got to stay in the Premier League. We, along with 10 or 11 other teams, our number one priority is to stay in the league and that is exactly what I will tell Roberto.

"Steve has taken quite a lot of our staff with him, which they always do, we understand that.

"I expect Roberto will be bringing two, three or four of his staff with him, but that will all be agreed by tomorrow evening." (Sky Sports[/b]>)

AC declare Ronaldo interest

AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has declared that Cristiano Ronaldo would consider a move to his club.

The Manchester United superstar has been constantly linked with a move away from Old Trafford in recent years.

Claim after counterclaim has come, but Real Madrid have thus far been unable to prise him away after two summers of trying.

A third summer battle has already begun, but now another interested party could emerge in the shape of Milan.

And if Kaka's proposed world record sale to Real goes through - they would be well equipped to match any offer the Spanish giants may make to United.

Berlusconi was talking to his own Mediaset organisation and revealed he could be ready to battle for Ronaldo.

'I told Cristiano Ronaldo that I would like to see him as a Rossonero," he said.

"He looked at me, and said 'Who doesn't like Milan? All players would like to come to Milan'."

Like with all of Real's comments, Berlusconi's declarations are sure to be met with disdain by the English champions. (Sky Sports)

Chelsea eye Young swoop

Aston Villa's Ashley Young is among new Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti's top targets, skysports.com understands.

A host of high-profile names have been linked with a move to Stamford Bridge since the arrival of Ancelotti, but Young is believed to be high on the Italian's agenda.

Young enjoyed another fantastic season for Villa last term, being named in the PFA team for a second successive year and also scooping the Young Player of the Year award.

Chelsea have held a long-term interest in Young and they see him as a key addition to their squad as they look to rebuild their ageing side.

Guus Hiddink is thought to have recommended Chelsea move for Young as the club look to bring in more English talent.

Young has established himself as one of the most exciting players in the Premier League since bursting onto the scene at Watford and he would fit into Chelsea's plans of trying to introduce a brand of more attractive attacking football at Stamford Bridge.

Aston Villa chief Martin O'Neill is a big fan of Young and would be loath to lose the England international, having already seen Gareth Barry leave Villa Park this summer.

However, Villa could find it hard to resist a big money offer for Young, with Chelsea hoping to lure him away with the prospect of UEFA Champions League football. (Sky Sports)

Barca line up Mascherano and Ibrahimovic

Barcelona are considering a move for Inter Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic, according to the striker's agent.

The 27-year-old has been linked with a number of high-profile clubs such as Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid.

Barcelona, though, appear to be favourites to land the striker's signature, although a deal has not yet materialised.

Race

"Zlatan is not worried," Ibrahimovic's agent Mino Raiola told Sportbladet.

"I don't know which club will be first to reach an agreement with Inter - Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester United or Real Madrid.

"It's a matter of which club wants him and how much they want him."

Barca have also been linked with a possible move for Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano.

The Primera Liga champions are rumoured to be lining up a ?20million bid for the Reds star in the summer transfer window. (Sky Sports[/b]>)

Dutch-language paper Het Laatste Nieuws, which is based in Brussels, reports that Arsenal and Ajax reached an agreement yesterday and that Vermaelen will now sign a four-year-deal at the Emirates.

The news is likely to please manager Arsene Wenger, who has admitted in recent weeks that strengthening his defence was a priority this summer.

Vermaelen, 23, joined the Dutch side in 2003 and has made almost 100 appearances for the club and has gone on to captain the side.

Anyone knows how good this guy is? :blush: I'm not a big Belgium/Ajax fan so I don't recall seeing him in action ever.. I know he must be good coz he's the captain at Ajax but Ajax didn't have a great season so..

Anyone knows how good this guy is? :blush: I'm not a big Belgium/Ajax fan so I don't recall seeing him in action ever.. I know he must be good coz he's the captain at Ajax but Ajax didn't have a great season so..

He is a decent defender, nothing special. Maybe Wenger thinks he can nurture him?

Wigan receive Valencia bids

Sky Sports News understands Wigan have received bids in excess of ?16million from Manchester United and Real Madrid for Antonio Valencia.

The Ecuadorian winger has long been linked with the two European giants and it is now reported that the pair have tabled offers.

United are searching for creativity after big-money signing Nani has failed to live up to expectations and Valencia is said to have impressed boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Real are desperate to overthrow Spanish and continental champions Barcelona and the 23-year-old was thought to be close to a move in the winter transfer window.

A switch failed to materialise, but it is now understood that newly-elected president Florentino Perez, who has pledged a return to the dazzling days of star signings from his first spell at the Bernabeu, is ready to test Wigan's resolve.

Valencia joined Wigan in 2006 in a loan move from Recreativo de Huelva and the deal was made permanent in January 2008.

The Latics are currently without a manager following Steve Bruce's move to Sunderland, but Roberto Martinez is expected to be unveiled as successor on Wednesday. (Sky Sports[/b]>)

Speaking to Telefoot, Ribery said, "Honestly, I do not know, but it is a question I am asking myself frequently at this time.

"I will see how the situation evolves. It is not easy. I am happy at Bayern."

" because they have the same weather as in Germany."

So its Barca or Madrid then.. maybe as Kaka's replacement to Milan?

Wenger will let Kolo Toure move in the opposite direction to Eastlands, according to reports in The Daily Mail, which also claims that Richards has been touted around Premier League clubs for ?6m, as City boss Mark Hughes has lost patience with the player's apparently poor attitude.

That is a significant reduction in the ?20m he was rated at only last season, and it may be that Wenger would rather take ?10m from the Citizens for Toure.

Richards for Toure?! Richards is a good defender but I can't understand getting rid of another experienced player..

AC Milan playmaker Kaka moved a step closer to joining Real Madrid after undergoing a medical, according to the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF).

A statement from the CBF said the 27-year-old was examined in Recife, where Brazil face Paraguay in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday. (BBC)

Kak? has not been officially announced as a Real Madrid player but he is already behaving like one of them.

The Brazilian star has reportedly signed a Real shirt after he was approached by a fan in the lobby of Sheraton Hotel in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Kak? is currently in Uruguay with Brazil national side for Saturday's World Cup qualifier.

"He was very nice. He saw the shirt and he signed it near the club's badge," the fan told Globoesporte.com.

"He was very good about signing the shirt."

1fan%20kaka.jpg

And here's his autograph on a Brazil shirt..

kaka_signed1.jpg

Don't know if it means anything.. players sign shirts of other clubs for fans all the time.. its nothing special but certainly fuels the gossip in this case..