[Football] Summer 2009 transfer thread

Jumping the gun a bit, aren't you? He's taking a 50% pay cut to join United.

He's going for the money again. Hull City were never going to offer him ?50k a week and massive bonuses were they?

Anyway, a picture of Owen's medical...

vipkhs.jpg

He's going for the money again. Hull City were never going to offer him ?50k a week and massive bonuses were they?

It's not even confirmed if he'll get ?50k, a basic ?20k deal is floating around too. As for Hull not offering him as much money, they can't offer him CL football either can they? He wants to play at the top not at the bottom.

It's not even confirmed if he'll get ?50k, a basic ?20k deal is floating around too. As for Hull not offering him as much money, they can't offer him CL football either can they? He wants to play at the top not at the bottom.

Oh, that explains him signing for Newcastle then.

Oh, that explains him signing for Newcastle then.

Newcastle were pushing for european football when he signed so yeah, it kind of does explain that one. As with most world class strikers he probably believed he could help them break into the top 4

Newcastle were pushing for european football when he signed so yeah, it kind of does explain that one. As with most world class strikers he probably believed he could help them break into the top 4

When he signed Newcastle had just finished 14th in the Premier League.

When he signed Newcastle had just finished 14th in the Premier League.

And the three years before that they finished 4th, 3rd and 5th funny how you missed that, and quite clearly my entire point...

Gotta love how Owen did so well at Liverpool, but now the hardcore Liverpool fans hate him for signing for MU :) Footy brings out the worst in some people :/

And the three years before that they finished 4th, 3rd and 5th funny how you missed that, and quite clearly my entire point...

Not really. Newcastle finished 14th, and were already on their 'decline'. It's like saying, "sign for Nottingham Forest, we won the European Cup twice in the 70's."

Gotta love how Owen did so well at Liverpool, but now the hardcore Liverpool fans hate him for signing for MU :) Footy brings out the worst in some people :/

We hate him because of the way he shat on us before moving to Real Madrid.

Not really. Newcastle finished 14th, and were already on their 'decline'. It's like saying, "sign for Nottingham Forest, we won the European Cup twice in the 70's."

We hate him because of the way he shat on us before moving to Real Madrid.

How is we were challenging for champions league places LAST year kind of saying we won the european cup 30 years ago? challenging for champions league football LAST year suggest that with the signing of a big name striker (himself at the time) maybe they can push for realisticly 3rd or 2nd place. He had no idea things were going to go bad to worse. Whose to say it wasn't going to be a blip or rebuilding year?

How is we were challenging for champions league places LAST year kind of saying we won the european cup 30 years ago? challenging for champions league football LAST year suggest that with the signing of a big name striker (himself at the time) maybe they can push for realisticly 3rd or 2nd place. He had no idea things were going to go bad to worse. Whose to say it wasn't going to be a blip or rebuilding year?

Newcastle were finishing 5th and 6th a few years before Owen joined. My point is that Owen had just joined a club that had finished closer to the relegation zone than a UEFA Cup place (having finished 14th), quite a difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd never mind 'pushing' for European football as you stated.

Newcastle are not a big club, they never have been, Owen joined them soley for the ?120k a week.

Newcastle were finishing 5th and 6th a few years before Owen joined. My point is that Owen had just joined a club that had finished closer to the relegation zone than a UEFA Cup place (having finished 14th), quite a difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd never mind 'pushing' for European football as you stated.

Newcastle are not a big club, they never have been, Owen joined them soley for the ?120k a week.

Did you read any of my posts or just hit reply and assume? i've already pointed out to you that Newcastle finished 3rd 4th and 5th not 5th and 6th, you also seem to forget that they were one of the few teams to challenge man utd not for a title, admitedly that was 5 or 6 years before, but the point still stands. Before Newcastle were sold they were a team challenging for european football. Never did I mention they were a big team, simply a team challenging for european football for the 3 years before Own arrived.

Would you slag off a big money signing who went to Aston Villa or everton? They aren't big but are trying to challenge the top 4? Or would he just be in it for the money from a team who will probably get relagated in your eyes.

I'll be interested to see if the Owen gamble pays off.

Hey, if he sticks the ball in the back of the net enough it can hardly be called a bad move regardless of his past.

Pretty much. He was a great player at Liverpool.

Did you read any of my posts or just hit reply and assume? i've already pointed out to you that Newcastle finished 3rd 4th and 5th not 5th and 6th, you also seem to forget that they were one of the few teams to challenge man utd not for a title, admitedly that was 5 or 6 years before, but the point still stands. Before Newcastle were sold they were a team challenging for european football. Never did I mention they were a big team, simply a team challenging for european football for the 3 years before Own arrived.

Would you slag off a big money signing who went to Aston Villa or everton? They aren't big but are trying to challenge the top 4? Or would he just be in it for the money from a team who will probably get relagated in your eyes.

You state that Newcastle were challenging for European Football for the three years before Owen came, how were they doing that sitting down in 14th place with the likes of Charlton and Birmingham above them?

It doesn't matter that Newcastle challenged for the title in the 90's, so there is no point bringing it up. It is why I mentioned before about Nottingham Forest winning the European Cup twice in the seventies. Do you see? Both points have no relevance so why would either club advertise that to Michael Owen.

Owen went for the money, which a 'self proclaimed big club' offered him.

The Owen deal is officially done.

Michael Owen has completed his move to Manchester United after the free agent signed a two-year deal with the club.

The 29-year-old forward spent the day at United's Carrington training complex as the terms of his free transfer move were thrashed out.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker's contract with Newcastle ended at the end of last month.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/8131801.stm

Lets hope he fails Man U in the same way he failed Real Madrid and Newcastle :D

Fergie's taken a big gamble signing him thats for sure