Windows 7 Build 7057 x86

7048 had some performance issues especially around HD read/write - has anyone been able to tell if it's fixed in this build?

Downloading it, can anyone confirm that upgrade works? I have 7022 at home and was gonna just upgrade it, probably easier.

This is pre-RC1 of course, I dunno why so many people are asking this question! Its rumoured to go RC-gold on April 10th, so a couple of days either side of that should see a leak followed by an official RC release.

Confirmed 7048 to 7057 upgrade.

New screensavers?

I saw a screenshot on web, on the user switch screen the userpic border is still have the old style(not that which is on the top of the startmenu) Anyone knows, where is this old border? In which file?

Edited by nyolc8

Can't wait to find this on usenet, torrent is always so slow for me, it's to frustating. Usenet let you download with max.speed of your service provider, for me thats like 1.9mb per second :) So I hope there be a gentle person which has a usenet account (who doesn't these days?)

Also, I wonder if they fixed the HDD speeds in this build. Benchmarks were not great about this. Actually, the speeds in 7048 were the worst of all OS's.

This build is nice and all...but MS told me that an error i reported would have been fixed. I reported it in build 7048. However its still there:

99001375.png

take a look at the left side of the icon. I use "never combine" setting in the taskbar... and all active window icons in the taskbar have these pixelated stuff at the bottom left...anyone else got that ?

Also, I wonder if they fixed the HDD speeds in this build. Benchmarks were not great about this. Actually, the speeds in 7048 were the worst of all OS's.

I've noticed that too, makes me sad thinking about the blazing fast 6956 :(

This build is nice and all...but MS told me that an error i reported would have been fixed. I reported it in build 7048. However its still there:

99001375.png

take a look at the left side of the icon. I use "never combine" setting in the taskbar... and all active window icons in the taskbar have these pixelated stuff at the bottom left...anyone else got that ?

Oh well, there are much more important stuff to fix than a small pixelated shadow that an ordinary user would barely observe. I have big issues with my Realtek AC655 sound, which makes some silly noise on Windows 7 and it's not because of drivers. They should really consider fixing the yellow screen on Windows Image Viewer on ATI hardware because this issue went live in the pre-RTM era of Vista and nobody cared to fix it until now.

Yeah, whereas they were "obsessed" with blue and green in Vista. :p

I wonder if it bears pointing out that the four colours of the windows flag are: blue, green, yellow and red. The three colours seen in Windows recently are blue, green and orange. What's red and yellow make? Orange.

Basically, yes, it's nothing new :p

They should atleast change all main icons to this new style though. Now it looks kinda messy in the startmenu. But I remember this in Vista as well. All of the sudden we got this stupid flower icons. I never forgot the moment, first I thought it was a joke..but it was very real. Hope they don't make the same mistake again, and just replace every icon with a new one.

#1 How can I remove the build tag from the desktop? Without modifying any files, only with regedit (if it's possible).

#2 And where can I find the background of the logon screen? I really like it!

rs links anyone? :)

never mind. google did the job already lol

Nice, our MIS software (sims.net) works on this version, whereas it only worked on the x64 builds previously (I never understood why that was tho

I like the new logged off screen, but I hope they offer an easy way to change it.

I change it here on XP to the default student background and I advertise current events on it (i.e at the moment it's showing info about our spring fair)

In Vista you have to modify system files to change it, which is a pain. On XP all I have to do is change a registry key to point to a bmp file on the C: Drive.

Nice, our MIS software (sims.net) works on this version, whereas it only worked on the x64 builds previously (I never understood why that was tho

I like the new logged off screen, but I hope they offer an easy way to change it.

I change it here on XP to the default student background and I advertise current events on it (i.e at the moment it's showing info about our spring fair)

In Vista you have to modify system files to change it, which is a pain. On XP all I have to do is change a registry key to point to a bmp file on the C: Drive.

[OFF] I like it. Could you explain how to do this? [/OFF]

For lazy people that want to fix the desktop.ini bug:

Open CMD.exe --->

del "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini" "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini"

nice to see a new build ! i google found it lol @ all the N0obs asking for links

1 hour eta

I've had it installed for like 6 hours now. ;D

#1 How can I remove the build tag from the desktop? Without modifying any files, only with regedit (if it's possible).

#2 And where can I find the background of the logon screen? I really like it!

Launch Regedit

Navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Scroll down and find the existing entry called PaintDesktopVersion. Double click and change its value to numeric one. Please note that there is no need to create this DWORD, as it's already there.

Check you now see: PaintDesktopVersion = 0

I believe this is what you're after ?

or for .reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"PaintDesktopVersion"=dword:00000001

It changes to black :p

No, if you have the background-color set to black and then have a white background image the text will be white and thus invisible.

You can also do it the other way around: set white background-color and use a black background image.

It works in build 7000, they maybe do some more advance check in the new build?