UK Family 'too fat to work', want more money

A family of four with a combined weight of 83 stone say they are "too fat to work" and need more than the ?22,000 they currently receive in benefits.

Philip Chawner, 53, and his 57-year-old wife Audrey weigh 24st. Their daughter Emma, 19, weighs 17st, while her older sister Samantha, 21, weighs 18st.

*stone - A British measurement of mass that equals fourteen pounds

The family from Blackburn claim ?22,508 a year in benefits, equivalent to the take-home pay from a ?30,000 salary.

The Chawners, haven't worked in 11 years, claim their weight is a hereditary condition and the money they receive is insufficient to live on.

Mr Chawner said: "What we get barely covers the bills and puts food on the tabl:| :| It's not our fault we can't work. We deserve more."

fatfamily_1367600c.jpg

The family claim to spend ?50 a week on food and consume 3,000 calories each a day. The recommended maximum intake is 2,000 for women and 2,500 for men.

"We have cereal for breakfast, bacon butties for lunch and microwave pies with mashed potato or chips for dinner," Mrs Chawner told Closer magazine.

"All that healthy food, like fruit and veg, is too expensive. We're fat because it's in our genes. Our whole family is overweight," she added.

Each week, Mr and Mrs Chawner, who have been married for 23 years, receive ?177 in income support and incapacity benefit. Mrs Chawner is paid an extra ?330-a-month disability allowance for epilepsy and asthma, both a result of being overweight.

Mr Chawner gets ?71 a month after developing Type 2 diabetes because of his size. He was on a waiting list for a gastric band last year, but a heart condition made the operation unsuitable. Their daughter Samantha receives ?84 in Jobseekers' Allowance each fortnight while Emma, who is training to be a hairdresser, gets ?58 every two weeks under a hardship fund for low-income students.

Emma, said: "I'm a student and don't have time to exercise" she said "We all want to lose weight to stop the abuse we get in the street, but we don't know how."

source

Haha fatties, they are from my town as well, im overweight but i dont blame it on genes or hereditary conditions, they are fat because they eat too much i dont see why my tax pennies should be supporting them.

They should have their benefits cancelled then they would have to go out and look for work and maybe shed some weight while they are at it.

They eat how much? :o Try not eating as much :p Hereditary, I don't think so. Maybe it is but eating fatty foods doesn't help, and who doesn't have time to exercise? There is ALWAYS time to exercise. If they have time to eat this food they have time to exercise ^.^

Why do they always blame the genes? It's your mouth that is the problem.

and now that I'm unemployed, able to work and actively seeking work I am eligible for ?49.75 a week. How am i supposed to support my unemployed GF (she isn't eligible for any benefits as she is in full time education, and doesn't get any help as her parents ****ed off to corfu), run my car and pay my parents for board with that?

The difference is, I AM seeking work and have applied for 30 jobs in the last fortnight...

Their attitude makes me so angry:((

"All that healthy food, like fruit and veg, is too expensive. We're fat because it's in our genes. Our whole family is overweight," she added.

The bananas I'll be munching on today at work cost me a whole dollar.

And look at those fat rolls. Reminds me of this.

post-188288-1237385069.jpg

Tell her to get a part time weekend job like everyone else who is in education.

Easier said than done mate. She was made redundant from woolworths and is applying for jobs daily. Not even been offered an interview yet.

The bananas I'll be munching on today at work cost me a whole dollar.

And look at those fat rolls. Reminds me of this.

Exactly its just pure laziness it will cost less than a takeaway to make some good healthy homecooked food, and i dont believe for a second that a bowl of cereal, bacon butty and pie and mash come to 3000 calories, maybe if they ate 5 butties and 10 pies.

uhhhh i can train when i study? and im doing the IT studies.. and i dont look fat AT ALL ;o

Easier said than done mate. She was made redundant from woolworths and is applying for jobs daily. Not even been offered an interview yet.

Fair enough i didnt mean to sound so abrupt, i know how it feels on benefits i was made redundant and ive only just got back into work.

Fair enough i didnt mean to sound so abrupt, i know how it feels on benefits i was made redundant and ive only just got back into work.

That's quite alright :) Just making the point that neither of us are layabouts and would both rather be back in work!

If ?22,508 isn't providing them with enuff food, how is it that they haven't lost weight ???:ss

(Y)) hell yeah!

It's not hard to buyless> when shopping if they think the money is needed to be spent on other things.

People like that **** me off beyong belief.

just another example of how the world has taken being pc to the extreme!!

I have a hard time being sympathetic to overly obese people quite simply because they have so many options availble to not be that way!!

IMHO, it all comes down to laziness and why should the government and our tax dollars go towards supporting someone because they are too lazy to do anything to improve their situation!!

Too fat to work??? F*** Off.

I don't think you should be entitled to anything unless you have a valid medical condition (or are genuinely too fat *because* of a valid medical condition) why you can't at least look for work, but when you get people saying "were too fat because we eat as fattening food as we can find and are just plain lazy" they should get nothing.

Meh it aint as bad as here in the US, where u have bunnies reproducing like crazy and getting free housing, free medical, supplemental government check, 500+ dollars in food stamps, and even free gas.

Back to topic: Get to work you Lazy fat ************

"I was gonna surprise you... but what the heck! Marge, I'm purposely gaining 61 pounds to get on disability!!" :D

I bet when these people watch that episode they take it as intense emotional drama rather than comedy. :laugh: