Ad free subscriber group to be implemented

So, when is it coming?

In the original post, Neobond said "it will be ready by the end of the week". Perhaps he meant the end of next week because the post was made on a Thursday (March 19). Either that or it's ready.

Just waiting on confirmation from our developer team before we go live with it.

I also went ahead and updated the description of Tier 1, you can view that here: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...&CODE=index

Attachment limit (per post) was also raised to 4mb, it was incorrectly described as 1mb and was 3.95mb for some reason :s

I know we're not allowed to talk about ad-blockers, but uh...this is going to fail miserably.

Let's wait and see. It's an option members asked for, so... obviously there is a demand for it.

I know we're not allowed to talk about ad-blockers, but uh...this is going to fail miserably.

People (including me) will go for this because its helping out Neowin even more but I know some that will just continue doing what they do now.

A lot of people out there are decent people, I think you'll find.

Members will go for this; not only because it helps support Neowin the right way, but also because of the other benefits of being a subscriber.

I believe the argument is that even if only a small percentage of those users sign up, they're still making money from a group that they otherwise would have seen $0 from. In the end they aren't going to be any worse of in the worst case scenario.

I mean the site has many subscribers when in many ways most users probably don't gain an awful lot from that besides knowing they helped the site. I doubt a huge amount of the subscribers are using the blogs and the private forum's one of the more quiet ones around. Doesn't stop people signing up.

This actually made me notice that I lost my subscriber status on the 9th when it ran out. I knew something was wrong but couldn't put my finger on it. Seemed like something was missing. haha

Upon reflection, I have decided to start saving up for a tier 2 subscription. :)

It's to support the site considering that internet advertisement doesn't always work.

A bit off topic here, but none-the-less that is a ridiculous article which has sparked a huge debate over TechCrunch's guest posters:

For Your Sunday Bulls**t Reading: Search Ads Are ?Misdirection? Advertising

A bit off topic here, but none-the-less that is a ridiculous article which has sparked a huge debate over TechCrunch's guest posters:

For Your Sunday Bulls**t Reading: Search Ads Are ?Misdirection? Advertising

Actually, that opinion based article is ridiculousAdblock Plus 1.0.1

543,766 weekly downloads

44,092,633 total downloadNoScript 1.9.1.2

467,904 weekly downloads

44,163,843 total downloads

Though, this is only Firefox stats. But, I'm sure other browsers will eventually adopt the add-on"Clemons demonstrated none of that by calling search ads ?misdirection.?.?

Just look at Neowin, as an example. Even we have to report misdirecting ads.

Where do i sign up?
Just go to PayPal and send me the money at ********@nigerianbank.com :shifty:

Not sure what to think of this. While I'm happy to support Neowin, I would have thought you'd do this on the existing subscribers group rather than creating a new one. Differentiating the subscribers is not a wise move, and I don't see what result you expect to come out of it. Those who wanted an option to support Neowin with more could have been given an option to input the amount they want to donate or something. I've been supporting this site for a while and now I have to double it to get a adsfree display of the site and get another "tier" of support?

You should do less number crunching and more thinking here. There are many who block the ads and who would probably gladly pay a few bucks to have it removed and support Neowin at the same time. You said yourself that you do not get revenue for blocked ads. So, why not make it cheaper instead of more expensive and let those who want / can pay more? The increase in subscribers you'd get if you put it up for cheaper would have (IMO) been bigger than what you will get from having fewer subscribers that pay more.

The very least you could have done is update all current subscribers to this new tier as an appreciation of the support they've shown you so far without having any real benefit for themselves.

All in all, no thanks.

Not sure what to think of this. While I'm happy to support Neowin, I would have thought you'd do this on the existing subscribers group rather than creating a new one. Differentiating the subscribers is not a wise move, and I don't see what result you expect to come out of it. Those who wanted an option to support Neowin with more could have been given an option to input the amount they want to donate or something. I've been supporting this site for a while and now I have to double it to get a adsfree display of the site and get another "tier" of support?

You should do less number crunching and more thinking here. There are many who block the ads and who would probably gladly pay a few bucks to have it removed and support Neowin at the same time. You said yourself that you do not get revenue for blocked ads. So, why not make it cheaper instead of more expensive and let those who want / can pay more? The increase in subscribers you'd get if you put it up for cheaper would have (IMO) been bigger than what you will get from having fewer subscribers that pay more.

The very least you could have done is update all current subscribers to this new tier as an appreciation of the support they've shown you so far without having any real benefit for themselves.

All in all, no thanks.

I don't know, essentially a subscriber who pays for the second tier is only paying us ?10 compensation [for the ads] because we value the enhancements of the current subscriber package at ?10 already! Blog, no flood control etc come at a cost too.

In fact I don't think we'd ever recoup the money we paid for the design work on Swift/Shift/Finity forums and blogs purely through subscriptions, as that cost us more than the annual amount of subscribers that we have (around 240 per year).