The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

i liked widows update v5 and the ie popup blocker was good ,i was able to install new updates to this update as well as other driver updates but i remain critical because when i was done this destroyed my original win xpsp1 performance and i will say it again sp2 was as buggy as windows me ,lets push on to not only better security but better overall performance without regressing. im testing windows 9x security cd as well and i am impressed with this cd of updates.

Does anyone know if this new SP2 beta allows 2 concurrent sessions, ie one user at the physical computer and one over remote desktop? I'm really anxious to find that out, and how well it works.

Its not listed as a new feature and its not in the changes in functionality document.

Therefore its safe to say its not part of SP2.

im testing windows 9x security cd as well and i am impressed with this cd of updates.

When did your 9x security CD arrive? I'm still waiting on mine.

well back to sp1, installed it yesterday had quite a few lockups and vpu recovers i didnt have before sp2, i restart today and i get "msgina.dll not found" in a dialog box with restart as the only option, so i formated and reinstalled, i dunno what they guy claiming you have to zero out the drives is talking about, all i did was boot and do the normal reinstall.

There do seem to be a number of Bugs in this current release, that is why this is BETA software and not a RTM version. As long as we all go on reporting them, I am sure Microsoft will fix them before BETA2.

Leebobs

(With Stable SP2 installation) :unsure:

The ICF seems much improved, glad to see it included and set on by default, I wonder if we'll see lawsuits from Zone Alarm etc for anti competitive behaviour :rolleyes:

post-11-1072013971.gif

The new method of windows updating is welcome as well, imagine blaster if this was around, all the windows pcs connected to the internet would have been protected against it and it would have become a non event!

post-11-1072014056.gif

The ICF seems much improved, glad to see it included and set on by default, I wonder if we'll see lawsuits from Zone Alarm etc for anti competitive behaviour :rolleyes:

That looks much more functional than the old version of "on" and "off"

I installed it and now get a blue screen , can't start PC anymore *

ow well..

Im just thinking if Microsoft has some RTM products that are not so stable as they should :yes: , you should think a bit before installing an alpha or beta one, since already I have seen some idiots that have screwed their system installing Longhorn without knowing a bit about system requirements.

It doesnt worth it :ninja:

Yeah no kidding. MS gets bashed for whatever they do. ICF looks much nicer now though. :)(Y)

9x update cd arrived 2 weeks ago ,i have several machines so i can test various beta's, as for xp sp2 i have a serial ata western digital raptor 36 gig hard drive maybe thats why i had to write zero,s when reformating over xp sp2 ,i always prefer to clean my drives completely on new installs or those errors occur..

metalhammer crashes IE for me too in SP2, does it work with SP1 ?

it works fine in opera 7.20, guess that is a bug in internet explorer.

Works fine in sp1. Guess I should report that as a bug :)

I have a error message when I try install sp2 express install, it says "error, setup canceled", :s how I can install sp2?

I have too the psf file (398mb) how I can install it?

thanks

Im just thinking if Microsoft has some RTM products that are not so stable as they should  :yes:  , you should  think a bit before  installing an  alpha or beta one, since already I have seen some idiots that have screwed their system installing Longhorn without knowing a bit about system requirements.

It doesnt worth it :ninja:

I was thinking along the same lines but the system needed reformatting anyway.

I think the install file was for the 64bit ver. of windows instead of the 32bit ver. The file wasn't named correctly unfortunatly , anyways.... we learn from mistakes... ;)

A better way to test it would have been to use virtual PC or never to install it in the first place and wait for the final ver.

Yeah Longhorn has quite along way to go before it becomes anywhere near finished, I agree.