The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

First up Hawke, welcome to Neowin.

Secondly, (and I have been unable to verify the correctness of this) but some users of SP2 are complaining that since installing SP2 BETA1 their Hard Disks have developed bad sectors and/or have died.

Anyone got any info on this?

:no: I'm not sure about it!

Leebobs

EDIT <<<< L337 Mo-Fo

post-11-1073036211.jpg

Thanks for the Welcome leebobs. I haven't heard of that one yet, but thanks for the heads up...I'll definitely make sure that I build a test box with an old hard drive just in case and see if I can recreate this. If it turns out to be true then that is definitely NOT good.

Hard disk faliure in SP2? thats just a rumour...

think about it logically, if that were true, everyone would have the same problem, and Microsoft would be facing huge hassles (albeit "minor" as under the term "beta" they cant be held responsible")

Ive not heard anything about this kind of trouble and there isnt anything on the newsgroups either...

i've heard a few things about that... dunno how true they are... nothing official though. *shrug*

even in beta, sp2 is great. i won't go back to sp1... just because of the popup blocker. the thing is flawless.

just wish it had an over-ride key when you were in just regular block mode.

the thing is flawless.

just wish it had an over-ride key when you were in just regular block mode.

wait...it's flawless, yet you want it to have something more? It isn't flawless. Good first try, but needs a few improvements imo.

Just checking out the SP2 V5 Windows update and I see there are updates to be installed cept it wont let me install them. It fails. I was wondering if anyone else has seen these or has had this problem.

wildbill

having the same problems here, will try again later.

It would also be nice if MS could add a junk e-mail filter to Outlook Express like Outlook 2003 has. Mozilla Thunderbird as well as Opera both have junk mail filters. Also Eudora.

It would also be nice if MS could add a junk e-mail filter to Outlook Express like Outlook 2003 has. Mozilla Thunderbird as well as Opera both have junk mail filters. Also Eudora.

Now that would be stupid. :blink: I'm sorry, but MS released Outlook because it had more options than Outlook Expresss. If they start offering more advanced features in OE, there will be no reason for ppl to buy Outlook. Now you and I may like that, but Microsoft is trying to make money here. If you really want junk email filtering, buy Outlook or use Thunderbird or Eudora.

Outlook would still have way more options over Outlook Express even if they added a junk e-mail option to OE. And since this feature is included in free email clients like Mozilla Thunderbird and Opera, and MS is so big on combating spam, it is reasonable to add it.

having the same problems here, will try again later.

I had these problems, I found that in some way the windows update is tied to the server service. I reinstalled "client for microsoft networks" and "file and printer sharing" and started the server service and win update works fine now.

wait...it's flawless, yet you want it to have something more? It isn't flawless. Good first try, but needs a few improvements imo.

my wanting a feature doesn't take away from it's quality at all..

it's passed every popup test i've thrown at it. lets through most of what should.

the over-ride key WOULD be nice, but it does allow you to show the blocked one from the site. so technically it's unneeded.

I had these problems, I found that in some way the windows update is tied to the server service. I reinstalled "client for microsoft networks" and "file and printer sharing" and started the server service and win update works fine now.

server service was already started installed client for microsoft networks and file and printer sharing still doesn't work.

I'll try rebooting to see if that makes any differance.

Edit: nope didn't help anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by DJ^TuRKiYe

hey dudes... i know SP1a doesn't have java but did they remove it from these latest builds that are being leaked ? (SP2 i'm talking about) I know it shouldn't be there but they started working on this before all that

If you absolutely need it pm me.

What does "SP2 Will NOT Contain Concurrent Sessions." means?

How come SP2 did not delete all the compressed dirs under the windows directory?

Are those still needed?

Or is all now in the new directory $NtServicePackUninstall$ and can we delete the other ones.

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to slipstream SP2 Build 2055 Beta into a Windows XP Pro SP1 distribution folder? I have

tried the following format : update.exe -S:C:\XPCD but I get the following error :

Failed to copy some or all of the files necessary for integrated install.

I have downloaded the express version and then I extracted it to my harddisk and then ran update.exe from

update folder and then let it download all the files from microsoft site and when it is done I have copied the complete contents which is about 500MB to another folder and then tried to slipstream it into my XP cd but it didn't work. Can anyone help me please?

Has anyone managed to install the "Microsoft Beta Client" ?

I followed all the insrructions but can't make seem to install the .net framework to get it to work

I'm just trying to submit bugs :argh:

i don't think you can slipstream it into a slipstreamed sp1, you may need to start fresh.

I think DJ may be right...although I tried it with Windows 2000 (my CD had SP3 slipstreamed, and I tried...and was successful...in slipstreaming SP4 into that build.)

However, SP2 for Windows XP could be different.

Unless it has something to do with SP2 still being a beta. :blink:

I slipstreamed sp2 into a sp1 image without any problems at all. Microsoft is selling XP CD's with sp1 already slipstreamed, it wouldn't make sense for them to block sp2 from integrating sp1 cd's.

-gosh

any news on when sp2 will be release, i been wanting to reinstall xp but i been waiting for the release of sp2 and it seems like its taking for ever :s

beta 1 just got released 3 weeks ago.. so it won't be until Spring or Summer when final will be out.. MS is taking there time on this release, its very important this SP release