The SP2 Thread - Reloaded

Who cares, it's just some text at the bottom of your screen.

BTW It didn't do that on either of the 2 SP2 installs I performed.

mine either :huh: so far i've done an upgrade from sp1 with the network installer and a slipstreamed install. neither have this and i was wondering why they didn't...

Just installed this on a second system to test, interesting result, the first install was a Fresh install, worked mostly fine. This was an upgrade from SP1 to SP2... and now IE no longer holds cookies. All sites say that I need cookies enabled...and yet, they are. I've already reported it to Microsoft (via the Microsoft Beta Client)... just found it odd. Anyone else get that? :/ Luckily I have Firebird installed so until it's fixed I'm good to go. (Y)

As far as that Metal Hammer site, it crashed IE for me too, so that's been reported as well. I never got those Active X issues that some of you guys were getting, though. And neither time I installed it, did it come up with that text...

This should remove it for you

Open up Regedit and navigate to the following keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA\Certificates\FEE449EE0E3965A5246F000E87FDE2A065FD89D4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ROOT\Certificates\2BD63D28D7BCD0E251195AEB519243C13142EBC3]

And delete the pair of them, reboot and lo and behold the dodgy testing message should disappear!

I clean installed and that message never showed up... I slipstreamed it to my XP SP1 CD and now running it. At first i was getting alot of errors..

Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2055, faulting module wiaservc.dll, version 5.1.2600.2055, fault address 0x00017f81.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

But that's somehow resolved itself...

The problem i'm having now is an ActiveX problem.... for eg... i go to "My Bluetooth Places" and i get tons of errors saying my activeX security settings wont allow me to view this site or something like that... (it does this for some websites too and yes i even turned down security down to LOW) and still... )

post-11-1072289233.jpg

I have this exact same problem. ActiveX errors all over the place even when security settings are all the way to low and activex is set to enable all. Obviously a bad bug. I have read.. (I believe in this fourm) that there is already an IE update to fix this problem but I'm at work and havn't checked myself yet. Hopefully it is true though because constant ActiveX errors are not bearable and unacceptable.

I have this exact same problem.  ActiveX errors all over the place even when security settings are all the way to low and activex is set to enable all. Obviously a bad bug. I have read.. (I believe in this fourm) that there is already an IE update to fix this problem but I'm at work and havn't checked myself yet. Hopefully it is true though because constant ActiveX errors are not bearable and unacceptable.

For everyone getting the ActiveX Errors, it is a part of the Add-In Manager now built into IE in XP SP2. You can adjust the ActiveX Security settings by choosing Manage Add-Ons... from the View menu. Here you can specify what ActiveX Controls are allowed to run on this machine. And you can even permanently distrust publishers!

-Josh

I wish that was the answer. You will notice that in the manage add-ons section I have everything enabled. I still get the error as shown in the screenshot. I even get the error when I go to some non-existant sites.. ie... when I goto https://www.neowin.net/foru,m (spelled wrong on purpose) I get a 404 page not found.. (because the page doesn't exist) and I also get that damn ActiveX error.

If I disable ActiveX for the browser (through manage add-ons) I no longer get the error.. but some pages don't load correctly and I get a notice on the bottom of IE that sts "The web page is requesting an add on that is disabled" and there is a link to enable it again.

Anyone else have any ideas for the solution to this problem?

post-11-1072300996.jpg

theres a solution for active x problems, please refer to the newsgroups (all beta testers here). for the rest of you, add as many sites to the security safe zones to get rid of that annoying message. xpsp2 ie newsgroups and general have info on this problem which is currently being worked through by us and microsoft.

grr...can't get the patched uxtheme.dll to work. I'm on a clean install of XP Pro SP2. I've tried it both in full and safe mode. I renamed uxtheme.dll in the system32 and dllcache folders, and then copied over the SP2 pached uxtheme.dll file. When I tried it in full Windows, I answered cancel, and then yes to the copy protection questions. Rebooted, and it still doesn't work :( any ideas?

If you guys already had SP1 installed and then installed SP2, what prominent changes you saw then ?? any slowdowns or performance degrades ??

I clean installed and that message never showed up... I slipstreamed it to my XP SP1 CD and now running it. At first i was getting alot of errors..

But that's somehow resolved itself...

The problem i'm having now is an ActiveX problem.... for eg... i go to "My Bluetooth Places" and i get tons of errors saying my activeX security settings wont allow me to view this site or something like that... (it does this for some websites too and yes i even turned down security down to LOW) and still... )

i fixed the problem, i just used another browser, go firebird !

I also noticed after installing SP2 my MIDI sounds stopped playing after reinstalling my sound blaster driver the same problem was still there so I changed the midi Default device: to "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth"

and now it works...hmmmm love that beta :rofl:

* Install

This is for the people who want to update to the v.2055 but cannot due a older version of sp2 already installed

extract the xpsp2-express.exe to a folder go into the folder then into /update folder their you can open Update.inf with notepad and change

MaxNtServicePackVersion = 512 to MaxNtServicePackVersion = 513

ThisServicePackVersion = 512 to ThisServicePackVersion = 513

Then in the same folder run Update.exe to start the installation when the 1st dialogue appears go back to the update.inf and change them back to

MaxNtServicePackVersion = 512

ThisServicePackVersion = 512

(its easy to keep update.inf open and just File>save it)

.:if you dont change back the update.inf values back and continue to install you will receive a error stating that update.inf cannot be verified as correct....

* I have successfully installed over the top of 1213 and it works fine, but as always be sure to make Backups

^voodoo

Just checking out the SP2 V5 Windows update and I see there are updates to be installed cept it wont let me install them. It fails. I was wondering if anyone else has seen these or has had this problem.

wildbill

Just checking out the SP2 V5 Windows update and I see there are updates to be installed cept it wont let me install them. It fails. I was wondering if anyone else has seen these or has had this problem.

wildbill

There have been times when the updates did not download. I just tried back another time or two.

And, sometimes it takes a while before the download starts.

i;ve visited it countless times, but i keep getting the following error:

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

You may wish to try one of these sources for more information about Windows Update:

Support Information

About Windows Update

Windows Update Home Page

Error Number: 0x80070422

is this just from heavy traffic? or is everyone getting this too? cuz i need those 5 updates.

If you go to Control Panel and Click on Administrative Tools>Component Services>Expand Computers>Expand My Computer>Double CLick on the DCOM Config Folder. Look for a Windows Update DCOM, Right Click Goto Properties and Set all to Default and that should let you in.