What are you reading right now?

Lant    70

guns, germs and steel by Jared Diamond - its a really interesting book about how the development of civilisation was directly affected by the local environment (so the native plants and animals) and how things like farming led to centralised government.

phunkymunky    8

Just finished The God Delusion.

Now i'm onto Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.

Think i'll pick up The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins next.

gigapixels    99

I recently finished The Two Towers and I'm now reading The Return of the King.

SyntaxError    26

All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

metal_dragen    30

Finally picked up a copy of Daemon by Daniel Suarez and currently about half through it.

Minifig    40
Reliquary_Pendergast_Book_2-119188026896639.gif
fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj    46
brave.jpg
Andrew Lyle    341

Glad I found this topic!

I just finished reading:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and now i'm reading:

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

metal_dragen    30

Glad I found this topic!

I just finished reading:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and now i'm reading:

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

I should re-read those, now that you mention it...

Redmak    356

Stephen King - The Dark Tower (part 6)

maceman    3

Right now I'm reading The Private Science of Louis Pasteur

• 3 weeks later...
Xilo    936

Anyone here use ereaders? I'm thinking between the Nook and the Kindle 2. Both have their pros and cons.

Any opinions on this matter?

Growled    3,881

Currently reading Dan Simmons - Ilium. At my current schedule I should be finished with it by the end of the year.

metal_dragen    30

Finsihed Daemon (highly recommended by the way) and am now reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

dead.cell    4,799

Decided to get into the background story of Warcraft and start up on the books in what looks to be a decent order to read them in. Currently on the War of the Ancients trilogy.

Dark_ph0enix    13

Can't remember when I last posted, so here's the books I read in April:

4559863343_d112d81263_o.jpg

Here's the books for May:

4653291399_8affc5c180_b.jpg

And so far this month, I've read:

• J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
  • Douglas Coupland - Microserfs
  • J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Richard Saxon - Future For Sale
  • J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

And I'm gonna start "Eon", by Greg Bear, either tonight, or tomorrow.

sanctified    1,225

Just finished it:

choke.jpg

Damo R.    29,672

bought this today so I will read this soon (only 170 odd pages)

986890369.jpg

Nexx295    27

Just started reading "Getting Things Done" by David Allen. Seems to be quite helpful.

Getting_Things_Done.jpg

Growled    3,881

James Rollins - The Doomsday Key

+John.    1,396

Trudi Canavan - The Ambassador's Mission.

+.Vamp    3

Terry Pratchett - Moving Pictures :)

ViZioN    14

Just finished The Old New Thing by Raymond Chen (Microsoft Coder) and about to start Remote Control by Andy McNab. Just need to wait on Royal Snail delivering it :p

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Save 35% off a 6-month subscription to Scribd
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 35% off a 6-month subscription to Scribd. Access an unlimited* number of books, audiobooks, magazines and more anywhere.

What's the deal?
      Stay informed, explore new worlds, and become your best self with a library of content that fits right in your pocket. For less than the price of a paperback each month, Scribd lets you access an unlimited number of bestselling and award-winning books and audiobooks, plus articles from leading magazines, newspapers, even sheet music. Whether you're riding the subway or relaxing at home, Scribd lets you enjoy your content anytime and anywhere via web browser or mobile app.

Access an unlimited number of books, audiobooks, magazines & more each month Enjoy your content anytime & anywhere via web browser or mobile app Explore more than one million books & audiobooks, including new releases, bestsellers, and classics Discover new favorites w/ personalized recommendations Browse interests, collections & expert-curated reading lists for inspiration Save your favorites, create collections & bookmark titles to personalize your library Good to know
      Available to new users only

Length of access: 6 months

Updates included

Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase

*Access an unlimited number of books and audiobooks; restrictions on some titles may apply.

For a full description, specs, and license info, click here.

What's the benefit?
      A 6-month subscription to Scribd normally represents an overall recommended retail pricing* of $53.94, but you can pick it up for just $35 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $18.94.

There is also a 1-year plan on offer for $80 (normally $107.88) - that's 25% off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it here <<
      See all of our current Apps + Software · This is a time-limited offer that ends soon.

Save even more!
      Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts.

Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here.

Miscellany and the fine print!
      In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase.

Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software.

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.

• By indospot
      Microsoft is killing off the Books section in the Microsoft Store
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft is discontinuing the books section in the Microsoft Store, according to a support page updated today. The demise of the books tab is effective immediately, meaning you can no longer buy, rent, or pre-order books through Microsoft's platform.

The ability to buy books from the Microsoft Store, which you could then read using Microsoft Edge, was introduced with the Windows 10 Creators Update, about two years ago, so it's been a short-lived platform. If you have any books you've already bought or rented, you can read them until the end of the rental period, or until July 2019, when they will be removed entirely. On the bright side, you'll get a full refund of the original price of the purchase when they're no longer available. If you have pre-ordered any books releasing after today, your pre-order will be canceled and you won't be charged.

Microsoft's e-books were available through its Edge browser, which has some incoming major changes with the shift to Chromium engine. This, combined with the fact that the platform likely didn't gain a lot of traction, given the existence of well-established players such as Amazon, might have contributed to the death of the service.

Microsoft has given up on a lot of its services in recent months and years, including Groove Music, which has even lost the ability to stream songs from OneDrive recently, so this move shouldn't come as a huge surprise. If you'd like to keep reading your books digitally, you'll have to look elsewhere.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Fantasy author Brandon Sanderson would "love to do something with CDPR"
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

While the author behind The Witcher books is currently having a bit of a dispute with CD Projekt, a $16.1 million one to be exact, another fantasy author is interested in working with the company on a video game, even considering giving away the rights for free. The author in question is Brandon Sanderson, the mind behind the massively popular book series such as The Stormlight Archive and Mistborn, among various other works.

Brandon Sanderson The author is certainly a big fan of how CD Projekt RED handled The Witcher universe, with him expressing his thoughts on a Reddit post about Andrzej Sapkowski's demand. He said "I'd love to do something with CDPR," adding that "They've made by far the best book-to-video game adaptations ever. It's the sort of thing the rest of us salivate over--if for the simple reason that the entire genre (books, film, and games) benefit from something high-quality on the market like the Witcher games."

Sanderson goes on to say that he would even consider giving away CD Projekt the rights to his books for free, but still humorously added that "I suspect they're done dealing with self-important fantasy authors, and are likely more interested in creating their own new IPs."

Following another Reddit post regarding his comment that began trending on the website, Sanderson went on to elaborate on the situation a bit more, explaining that even though he has considered it, he hasn't reached out to the Polish developer through official channels yet for any projects. He did say he found Sapkowski's new demands to be absurd though, adding:

Although we don't know for sure if CD Projekt RED is even interested in jumping into another fantasy universe for a game, Cosmere and Sanderson fans would certainly love to have the studio's hands on the undertaking. Brandon Sanderson's complete thoughts on the matter can be found on the source links below, and at the time of writing, he still appears to be answering questions on the thread.

Source: Reddit 1, 2 | Images via BrandonSanderson.com

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Amazon FreeTime Unlimited comes to Apple App Store more than 5 years after launch
      by Jay Bonggolto

While Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is among the popular entertainment and reading apps for kids, it used to be available only on Amazon's Fire tablets since its debut in December 2012; that is until May last year, when the app landed on Android handsets, leaving iOS users out in the cold. That changes today with the app's launch on the Apple App Store.

Amazon FreeTime Unlimited offers kids aged 3 to 12 an unlimited access to more than 10,000 books, movies, and TV shows on iOS curated just for them. In comparison, FreeTime Unlimited for Fire tablets offers more than 15,000 books, videos, educational apps, and games. Content providers include Disney, Nickelodeon, Sesame Street, PBS Kids, National Geographic, and Amazon Originals for Kids.

The subscription costs $2.99 per month, though Amazon pointed out to Neowin that customers who subscribe to FreeTime Unlimited through the iOS app will receive the family plan for $9.99 per month, offering up to four child profiles access to content across compatible tablets, phones, e-readers, and smart speakers.

For parents, the app features a dashboard that lets them review their kids' FreeTime activity over the past three months and see their favorite books, movies, and TV shows. It also includes discussion cards that provide parents insights into what their kids are reading or watching. However, as TechCrunch pointed out, the app's iOS version does not allow users to change its configuration in order to reskin the user interface.

The app allows parents to set up four different child profiles, with each profile having a specific age range to personalize the kid's experience. Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is now available to download from the App Store, with a free 30-day trial period. Once a user subscribes to the app via iTunes, Apple will automatically renew the monthly subscription unless the user cancels the membership at least 24 hours before the renewal period begins.

Source: Apple App Store via TechCrunch

• By Rich Woods
      Apple announces that it's bringing iOS apps to the Mac
      by Rich Woods

Apple held its WWDC 2018 keynote today, and among the next major updates to iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS, the company announced a new app platform that will bring iOS apps to the Mac. The news came following various shout-outs to refreshed versions of apps like Stocks, Voice Memos, News, and Home.

As you can see from the image above, Apple had to change how some UI elements behave when bringing touch-centric iOS apps to macOS, which doesn't support touch at all, at least at the moment. Things like trackpad and mouse input had to be added, and window resizing.

What's interesting is that this makes both platforms ripe for coming closer together. Many users have asked for touch support on a Mac, and other have asked for mouse support on the iPad Pro. These things seem more likely than ever, especially since Apple announced other macOs features today that allow users to draw on PDF files.

Apple said that the first tester for the new platform is itself, with the refreshed apps that it announced today. Third-party developers will be able to take advantage of the multi-phase project in 2019.