PSP GO Reveal

Didn't see this posted yet, so here goes! Released in the June edition of the PSN's 'QORE':

[Direct Link if the video above doesn't show up]

The PSP Go features a 3.8-inch sliding screen, is 43% lighter than the PSP-3000, has 16 gigs of flash memory, supports Bluetooth, and has all digital content. Just to reiterate, that means that there's no UMD drive. It also supports memory stick micro.

I think the digital content might put some people off. I don't know, it almost seems like a bit of a restriction. Then again, with 16GB plus expansion, it might not be so bad. I just with they could've stuck with the MS Duo that everyone ALREADY HAS instead of switching to the Micro.

@Audioboxer: Whoops, didn't see that! I just skimmed through the first couple pages and didn't see it. Thanks!

Also, didn't see it on the front page. I [generally] just come straight to the forums, and only check the main page every few days so I probably just missed it. Bah!

Mods, please merge/close this! Thanks!

Here is where I am lost. Sony plans to sell this new PSP along with the PSP-3000. However, the PSP Go does not use UMD discs for games, while the PSP-3000 does. So to play new games, will they be available as UMD discs and whatever format they plan on distributing games on the PSP Go? Or will you be forced to purchase the PSP Go for some games?

I'm hoping someone can clarify this as I might as well pickup a PSP-3000 if I can play the same games on it. I still prefer the look of the old one, but the PSP Go is growing on me :)

Here is where I am lost. Sony plans to sell this new PSP along with the PSP-3000. However, the PSP Go does not use UMD discs for games, while the PSP-3000 does. So to play new games, will they be available as UMD discs and whatever format they plan on distributing games on the PSP Go? Or will you be forced to purchase the PSP Go for some games?

I'm hoping someone can clarify this as I might as well pickup a PSP-3000 if I can play the same games on it. I still prefer the look of the old one, but the PSP Go is growing on me :)

They'll probably release most games on both initially, but eventually phase out UMD releases. There are already a couple of games that are dowload only (including Patapon 2 i think)

The current PSP already has the PSN store and digitally distributed games available to it, so you don't need a Go regardless of what the game is released on. The only difference is the current PSP has no internal memory, so for digitally distributed games you need to rely on Memory Stick Duos, where as the Go comes with 16GB of internal flash and also has a memory card slot.

The thing I'm looking forward to most is seeing a collection of $5-10 games like the games on the PSN store. Now that the PSP has gone digital developers don't need to keep chucking out full priced retail games. It's something that makes the iPhone so successful, all the cheaper pick up and play games.

Another thing to point out is whilst the UMD can hold up to 1.4GB I think it is, many digitally released games on the PSP PSN Store just now are compressed and only a couple hundred MB. Patapon 2 is only about 240mb.

They'll probably release most games on both initially, but eventually phase out UMD releases. There are already a couple of games that are dowload only (including Patapon 2 i think)

Hmm..I'm a sucker for Gran Turismo and I'll buy whatever I need to play that game :D

EDIT: after watching the video audio posted, its clear Sony is marketing this as a premium choice over the PSP-3000. I'd expect it to be about $250-300.

Hmm..I'm a sucker for Gran Turismo and I'll buy whatever I need to play that game :D

EDIT: after watching the video audio posted, its clear Sony is marketing this as a premium choice over the PSP-3000. I'd expect it to be about $250-300.

$199-$230 for me.

No way it's costing $300, that will be the same price as a PS3 come fall when it's going to be released.

Internal flash memory is fairly cheap, 16GB will drop to peanuts in no time, where as the UMD drive is proprietary and probably didn't drop in price that quickly.

$199-$230 for me.

No way it's costing $300, that will be the same price as a PS3 come fall when it's going to be released.

Internal flash memory is fairly cheap, 16GB will drop to peanuts in no time, where as the UMD drive is proprietary and probably didn't drop in price that quickly.

$249.99. That 16GB internal memory is really going to drive the price up. I'd be really surprised if it's under $200.

$249.99. That 16GB internal memory is really going to drive the price up. I'd be really surprised if it's under $200.

You think? I think it's quite possible to be under $200 (or just $200), dropping the UMD drive will probably eat up most of the costs (if not all) of the 16GB memory. Plus, the screen is a whole half an inch smaller, that must account for some kind of additional price drop at manufacturing level. With the PSP at $170, and memory stick micros themselves only being $50 at RRP (with bulk purchase level being lower, and internal memory probably being even cheaper again), plus dropping the UMD drive, I think we could see a $200 PSP Go.

I just hope it's not much more then ?160, and ultimately ?160 or less (the PSP-3000 is ?140). I really want this, but I'm not paying more then a Wii for one, that's ridiculous.

However keep in mind the 360 was modified for no other reason than to play copies, iXtreme doesn't do anything homebrew wise, there are people who will mod devices for piracy only.

That's not true at all, you can mod a 360 far more than for just pirating games. iXtreme was developed for that reason.

One of the very first hacks was to run Linux on the 360. From there you can run all the usual emulators.

Believe me, the new PSP Go will be hacked. It's foolish to think otherwise. Just like the DSi, Nintendo tried to make changes to combat piracy. It never lasts.

PS3 again, will be hacked. It just takes time. 20GB really isn't that much to download and there are other ways of playing it other than a BR burner.

That's not true at all, you can mod a 360 far more than for just pirating games. iXtreme was developed for that reason.

One of the very first hacks was to run Linux on the 360. From there you can run all the usual emulators.

Believe me, the new PSP Go will be hacked. It's foolish to think otherwise. Just like the DSi, Nintendo tried to make changes to combat piracy. It never lasts.

PS3 again, will be hacked. It just takes time. 20GB really isn't that much to download and there are other ways of playing it other than a BR burner.

The whole point is to prevent piracy for as long as possible. If you keep back piracy for years chances are some of your large hits are going to come out when they can't be pirated forcing pirates into buying them. If the PS3 ain't hacked for GT5 or God of War 3 there's going to be lots of pirates shelling out for once, rather than pirating all the multiplatform games on their 360s if they're multiplatform owners.

The DSi wasn't going to be able to prevent piracy as they still had the exact same slot loading drive, all that was required was a new cartridge. The new PSP will be the first portable device to have neither a removable battery or physical medium.

If you remember correctly most of the PSP exploits at first were born through exploits on the UMD discs (Lumines/GTA for example).

We'll see how long it lasts.

PS3?

If they can prevent it being cracked for a lengthy period of time that'll get devs back on board.

The new PSP is most likely going to need to be a software exploit, no removable battery and no way to attach a piece of hardware like the DS slot cards.

I think the main question out of the door is how safe will these digital only releases be on the old PSPs.

I hacked my first PSP phat with software.

I hacked my first PSP phat with software.

So did half the world :p

But back in the day you constantly had people waiting on exploits for various firmware revisions until the pandora battery came along and/or the ability to downgrade. Things will be trickier this time around without a removable battery and no exploits coming off UMDs.

It's a case of do you buy the PSPGo and never update it's firmware meaning you can't use the device in a hope version 1.0 eventually gets software hacked, or update the firmware hoping a universal hack comes along which is going to be difficult without a battery.

If the PSP stores can be browsed region free and any game work on your PSP that should help out with people upset about waiting months between english releases.

So did half the world :p

But back in the day you constantly had people waiting on exploits for various firmware revisions until the pandora battery came along and/or the ability to downgrade. Things will be trickier this time around without a removable battery and no exploits coming off UMDs.

It's a case of do you buy the PSPGo and never update it's firmware meaning you can't use the device in a hope version 1.0 eventually gets software hacked, or update the firmware hoping a universal hack comes along which is going to be difficult without a battery.

If the PSP stores can be browsed region free and any game work on your PSP that should help out with people upset about waiting months between english releases.

Good points. What i'm wanting to know is, if the games are going to be software only are they going to be encrypted like drm of some sort to prevent redistribution of them via torrents?

The whole point is to prevent piracy for as long as possible. If you keep back piracy for years chances are some of your large hits are going to come out when they can't be pirated forcing pirates into buying them. If the PS3 ain't hacked for GT5 or God of War 3 there's going to be lots of pirates shelling out for once, rather than pirating all the multiplatform games on their 360s if they're multiplatform owners.

The DSi wasn't going to be able to prevent piracy as they still had the exact same slot loading drive, all that was required was a new cartridge. The new PSP will be the first portable device to have neither a removable battery or physical medium.

If you remember correctly most of the PSP exploits at first were born through exploits on the UMD discs (Lumines/GTA for example).

We'll see how long it lasts.

I don't actually believe in the non-removable battery. EU law is forcing devices to have removable batteries. Same goes for iPods etc.

But like I was saying, hardware mods will always exsist no matter what the security is. Of course people would prefer not to void their warranties, and most mods evolve into software as time goes on.

There was a time even the DS was a hardware mod before the days of pass keys and flash cards. Along with PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox & Xbox 360. All started off with hardware mods and are now all software. 360 is a mix of both in all fairness.

I don't actually believe in the non-removable battery. EU law is forcing devices to have removable batteries. Same goes for iPods etc.

But like I was saying, hardware mods will always exsist no matter what the security is. Of course people would prefer not to void their warranties, and most mods evolve into software as time goes on.

There was a time even the DS was a hardware mod before the days of pass keys and flash cards. Along with PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox & Xbox 360. All started off with hardware mods and are now all software. 360 is a mix of both in all fairness.

Don't believe it as in it isn't happening or don't believe in the ethics? As it's definitely happening.

Hardware mods do usually always exist, but that's also why I'm surprised there isn't at least a modchip for the PS3 of some sorts. Before the 360 got iXtreme there was modchips that would play backups.

Possibly just because it's Blu Ray drives which will operate differently from DVD drives? I mean some of these Chinese manufacturers must of at least had a go, if you're the first to crack a console/handheld with a hardware solution you'll make a sea of money. Look at the R4 and Wiikey.

Good points. What i'm wanting to know is, if the games are going to be software only are they going to be encrypted like drm of some sort to prevent redistribution of them via torrents?

They'll be encrypted and bound to the same laws as PS3 PSN games I believe.

A maximum of 5 pieces of hardware, PS3 or PSP can download them and use them. The PSN store is universal, you use the same login for PSP and PS3.

As long as they continue supporting the TIFF format (who actually uses or carries that on the PSP?), it will be exploitable! :)

Digital formats are still vulnerable to savegame buffer overflows. Of course the UMD was necessary because the folks that wanted to downgrade obviously couldn't run ISO's and neither would they need to. If another savegame buffer overflow were to be found (probably in the older catalog of PSP games), it would still behave the same with the digital copy.

Smart of Sony to create an unremovable battery in that respect. I'm sure they buffed up the hardware security as well, just as they have with the other revisions.

Edited by psygn

Yep, I agree.

The PSP being hacked is one of the things that actually contributed to the success it achieved later in its life. Had it not been for the explosion of the home-brew scene on the PSP, it would've flopped as most anticipated when it first arrived. Most people who bought a PSP, bought it with the home-brew scene in the back of their mind.

The PS3 will be hacked but as always its a matter of when. It would be practical to just throw games onto a flash drive, because I really don't see many people going out to purchase a BD burner atleast not when the price is still at premium.

I'm looking forward to E3 and I'm hoping Sony don't continue their trend of building great products at extremely premium price points. The original PSP struggled in this regard, I believe my bill for the original PSP was around $550 walking out of the store, this was a huge miss especially when the DS was like $200 bucks at the time.

If Sony wants to succeed with this, they need to sell it for $179 or $199, afterall, its not that much of an upgrade to the PSP-3000.

I think Sony will be much more open when it comes to security wise. They've thrown out the UMD drive, and its basically downloading games. Which I'd assume would be much easier to exploit then a system where you need a physical disc. Then again who am I to know? :)

You think? I think it's quite possible to be under $200 (or just $200), dropping the UMD drive will probably eat up most of the costs (if not all) of the 16GB memory. Plus, the screen is a whole half an inch smaller, that must account for some kind of additional price drop at manufacturing level. With the PSP at $170, and memory stick micros themselves only being $50 at RRP (with bulk purchase level being lower, and internal memory probably being even cheaper again), plus dropping the UMD drive, I think we could see a $200 PSP Go.

I just hope it's not much more then ?160, and ultimately ?160 or less (the PSP-3000 is ?140). I really want this, but I'm not paying more then a Wii for one, that's ridiculous.

Companies still charge a premium for flash memory. Just look at the iPod touch. The 32GB is $100 more than the 16GB.