The Short Lived Free One Year Subscription To TechNet Has Ended

For a TechNet Direct subscription, you don't receive disks; you just download directly from the site. That's why this subscription type is so much less expensive. But this free thing - I don't know. It seems a little hard to believe. How long is the subscription for? Does it have all the Technet downloads available?

Yeah, i browsed around more, it certainly looks like it has all the Technet downloads available.

And i believe these subscriptions normally last for a year, but my profile says "Expiration Date: 1/1/1900", so i'm not sure.

Looks like it requires you to participate in a 2.5 month survey as part of the subscription: I snagged this from SlickDeals:

The next step in the process is to register and login to the IT Advisory Council, the online portal where you will be registering your feedback during the TechNet Plus Pilot program. Within 24 hours you will receive an email with a link to the ITAC portal and instructions on how to register. You will need to do this in order to access the workspace where all research tasks will be posted and carried out.

Remember, the free one year TechNet Plus subscription requires that you participate in all of the Pilot research activities, and will be deactivated if you don't log into ITAC within 24 hours of receiving the login instructions. We'll see you in ITAC and will explain more there.

So, it seems like the real deal.

Yeah, i browsed around more, it certainly looks like it has all the Technet downloads available.

And i believe these subscriptions normally last for a year, but my profile says "Expiration Date: 1/1/1900", so i'm not sure.

Probably once you get the link for the survey and start participating, the date will be updated.

Someone on another forum (dslreports) just reported that they got an e-mail from MS canceling their account...

OK, well maybe I was wrong about it being a real deal. Well, like the saying goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

I wonder if the keys will work for the full version...

This is so awesome. I am downloading Windows 7 x64 right now. :D 1.5MB/s :D Secks!

Downloads work, use IE

I am, they still don't work. The download manager pops up but nothing starts downloading. Got keys, need the ISO's.

Using IE8 and Vista x86

This works, but if you don't do the required surveys (you can ONLY be invited in), your accounts will be cancelled within 24 hours.

So i'd advise everyone to either not be immoral, and don't use it. *OR* be immoral, and get all the keys and downloads you can - fast! :D :p

Can microsoft come back on everyone who downloaded ****?

I only want a copy of vista x64.

I have my copy from my computer but no DVD. I can just use my OEM key with it.

I am really not interested in the keys at all, I am not bothering with them.

I am just taking a Vista X64 with Service Pack 2 iso from them

It's a shame my new pc doesn't come with a backup dvd.

so is this legal?

so is this legal?

Good question... It's in no-mans land!

It's legal as long as you have a subscription. If they cancel it, it becomes illegal, i'd imagine?

Good question... It's in no-mans land!

It's legal as long as you have a subscription. If they cancel it, it becomes illegal, i'd imagine?

Well now on Neowin's front page, it seems they (microsoft) are offering it for three months until September. Someone said about Tax information, I didn't enter anything for tax exempt, because my state has tax, and the total was $0.00 so no reason for tax, so i didnt enter anything for the tax stuff.

but ehh i am just curious to why they are doing this.