let the games begin: Forza 3 vs GT 5 comparison pictures

Admit it isn't fact or official though. You're getting flak for making statements like this

And FYI Gamestation is a real shop in the UK, as well as Game :rolleyes: Two who have listed september.

I'm just going by record. So far Gamestop information was always valid not matter what the SKU was. I don't know about those 2 UK stores you listed. They might be as well listing sooner so people give them money earlier and pre-order. They are pretty sure people won't be taking their money back but they'll have money at the disposal sooner. That's what online sites do.

I can assure you if there's any company who would be rushing pre-orders and use the earlier release date GT5 for their capital gain it would be GameStop. The fact they have May 2010, tells me they are pretty sure, otherwise they would put earlier date without a single doubt.

Actual date is 05/03/2010

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDet...roduct_id=75118

Edited by Boz

Not sure about all of the sites audioboxer listed but the general way pre-orders are done in the UK is to take the payment only when they actually ship it. I pre-ordered GT5P and GTA4 few months in advance and the money went out the day they were sent to me.

I'm just going by record. So far Gamestop information was always valid not matter what the SKU was. I don't know about those 2 UK stores you listed. They might be as well listing sooner so people give them money earlier and pre-order. They are pretty sure people won't be taking their money back but they'll have money at the disposal sooner. That's what online sites do.

I can assure you if there's any company who would be rushing pre-orders and use the earlier release date GT5 for their capital gain it would be GameStop. The fact they have May 2010, tells me they are pretty sure, otherwise they would put earlier date without a single doubt.

What a joke, just like Blu-Ray was going to fail and HD-DVD was going to win, then Blu-Ray was going to fail and Digital Downloads were going to win, we all know how your predictions end up, at this point NO RETAILER will have the exact date every site has a different date and just because Gamestop might have been accurate before and treating it as fact is a bit ridiculous, unless Gamestop are run by Polyphony/Sony i will wait and see.

What a joke, just like Blu-Ray was going to fail and HD-DVD was going to win, then Blu-Ray was going to fail and Digital Downloads were going to win, we all know how your predictions end up, at this point NO RETAILER will have the exact date every site has a different date and just because Gamestop might have been accurate before and treating it as fact is a bit ridiculous, unless Gamestop are run by Polyphony/Sony i will wait and see.

Well HD-DVD should by all rights have won, it was a better format, it was finished(BD is still being modified even after the "final" 2.0 version), it was cheaper, the media was cheaper and easier to get into production.

The reaosn it failed is mostly due to Misinformation from the BD group and that the BD group was willing to throw away a lot more money while the HD-DVD group also consisted of parties who where firmly behind digital distribution and wasn't willing to throw money at what is never going to be a main movie format. HD-DVD never was, and BD never will be a replacement to DVD. it's partly a stopgap and partly a secondary format for the small sub group of movie collectors who won't just watch a movie but collect it.

As for Digital distribution, it's a war still being fought. and where DD is gaining ground every day, with NetFlix and even iTune showing serious US muscle. Despite DD being msotly a US only thing for now it's surprisingly strong, and growing much faster and healthier than BD is. With Sky bringing DD and digital TV to all UK xbox owners and Zune movies getting released in 16 or 18 european territories soon, I wouldn't call him out on that just yet.

DD is here to stay, and for 99% of people renting a movie digitally not having to deal with the disk and queues and all that is a much better option that renting it physically and especially buying a movie they'll watch once.

But please keep on, you're only making your self appear pitiful and ridiculous

You really believe that? lol

Last year they told me that GoW3 was going to be released on Mar 2009 and that I should preorder. Yeah right :rolleyes:

I believe Gamestop more then online sites.. Gamestop is one of the largest game sellers in the States is a B&M store. Their dates are mostly dead on. We've seen leaks for hardware as SKUs and it's always true be it PS3 or Xbox 360 or peripherals or games.

I understand it pains some of you that you will have to wait until May next year but it's not coming out this year, you'll see.

In Europe usually it does come sooner. So I'm guessing around March or April for Europe and May for North America.

Lol, Boz, the chosen one with dates.

A pre-order date means nothing untill we get any sort of confirmation.

And one of these "online sites" is the biggest and essentially only game retailer in the UK.

Okay.. if it does come in May I expect apologies here ;)

at this point NO RETAILER will have the exact date every site has a different date and just because Gamestop might have been accurate before and treating it as fact is a bit ridiculous, unless Gamestop are run by Polyphony/Sony i will wait and see.

Gamestop is not ran by Sony but they get release dates from publishers directly. So in this case they got 05/03/2010 from Sony. They don't imagine dates.

Websites are talking about Christmas and similar to rip you for your money because of the hype and rumors and you'll end up giving them money and wait until May for the game. Fantastic for them, not so great for you.

And Richard Hammond... seriously dude can you make any posts that are not condescending or insulting or just provoking? It's just unbelievable.

Edited by Boz

You really believe that? lol

Last year they told me that GoW3 was going to be released on Mar 2009 and that I should preorder. Yeah right :rolleyes:

Well yeah.. and we are lucky if we get it in May is what I'm saying.. It's more realistic date. What's unrealistic is that we will get it Sept or October 2009. Zero gameplay, zero photos.. I mean nothing but an E3 another teaser trailer. That's definitely not something that appears to me as ready to launch.

May 2010 I definitely believe.. that's a year (a less than a year actually) and we will probably start getting hyped up with screenshots, gameplay and similar around Holidays (so Sony can sell more PS3 units based on the promise that GT5 is in 2010) and then it will hit us with the game in Spring. Usually they release GT series around March anyways, so May is not really surprising.

I'd definitely say that those UK sites are trying to make a buck with super early pre-orders based on rumors (like they did with GOW3 and release in 2009) and while Gamestop is more realistic and listed the actual date of product on the shelves.They never sold pre-orders for GOW3 because it was never a definitive date.

Edited by Boz

Actually May 2010 seems dead on for the release of GT5, when you think about it the game might be finished/close to being finished but it's all in Japanese! they gotta translate it first and that takes time. So I'm thinking close to the end of this year for Japan and next year sometime for the rest of it, seems pretty plausable to me. I'm happy to be proven wrong, if it comes sooner fantastic means I get it sooner so all is good :)

Well yeah.. and we are lucky if we get it in May is what I'm saying.. It's more realistic date. What's unrealistic is that we will get it Sept or October 2009. Zero gameplay, zero photos.. I mean nothing but an E3 another teaser trailer. That's definitely not something that appears to me as ready to launch.

May 2010 I definitely believe.. that's a year (a less than a year actually) and we will probably start getting hyped up with screenshots, gameplay and similar around Holidays (so Sony can sell more PS3 units based on the promise that GT5 is in 2010) and then it will hit us with the game in Spring. Usually they release GT series around March anyways, so May is not really surprising.

I'd definitely say that those UK sites are trying to make a buck with super early pre-orders based on rumors (like they did with GOW3 and release in 2009) and while Gamestop is more realistic and listed the actual date of product on the shelves.They never sold pre-orders for GOW3 because it was never a definitive date.

i thought it had already been pointed out that most reputable sites (like the ones Audioboxer posted) don't charge until items have been picked in the warehouse.

and where are you getting the "facts" that gamestop definitely get all their dates from publishers? what makes them more special than any other retailer? i'll tell you.... nothing!

oh, and we're not disputing that it could come out in may, we are disputing the you are considering this a fact, when all it is based on is assumptions (regardless of whether you consider these informed assumptions or not)...

Gamestop most definitely just makes up release dates. Their computer systems require them to have a date in the system for releases, and if they don't have one, they make it up. Periodically the dates will expire for long-anticipated games and they need to make up a new one.

Even the SKU could be a placeholder.

Gamestop is not a reliable source for any purpose. I think a large number of people here (including myself) can tell you at least one story about being stiffed by GS or EB on preorders, even excluding console releases (which are kind of out of their control). They are bad for the industry (driving local game retailers out of business and buying up regional chains) and have terrible customer relations. The majority of their revenues come from high margin resales of games which is a constant source of agitation with the publishers and platform holders who don't get license fees on resales (local stores would do the same thing, but local stores at least have a more customer friendly policy on trade-in prices).

Back in the day, EB was pretty good, Funcoland was excellent, and when Gamestop was still owned by Barnes and Noble at least they pretended to care about customers. It took a drastic turn for the worse after they spun off into a separate public company.

Is May 2010 a reasonable potential date? Sure. Is it the real release date? Almost assuredly not.

Also May 3, 2010 fails the sniff test, it's a Monday. Games ship on Tuesdays and they're generally in stores on Wednesdays (except Nintendo major releases, which typically street on Sundays).

Gamestop most definitely just makes up release dates. Their computer systems require them to have a date in the system for releases, and if they don't have one, they make it up. Periodically the dates will expire for long-anticipated games and they need to make up a new one.

Even the SKU could be a placeholder.

Absolutely not true.. at least not from my experience and what people who work at gamestop that I know well have told me.. they are putting dates they get.. once the publisher moves the date they update their system.

For the titles they want to have just a placeholder SKU and they know it's coming sometime in 2010 they will put 12/31/2009.. This means that the game will be released sometime in 2010 with no specific date.

So far every rumor with Gamestop when they entered SKU has been proven right. With new Xbox 360s, with new PS3s with different hard drives, games etc etc. They are selling stuff and deal directly with companies and publishers and have to be very careful with release dates and similar because of the lawsuits (they are not like walmart or similar who leak games before release dates). That's why they get dates.

For the website it says 03/05/2010 because it's a ship date to them. That means you would get it Tuesday or Wed. that week. The stores themselves get shipments of games on Tuesdays. When they get a game from a publisher (at their warehouse on Monday) it takes them a day or two to distribute to their own stores.

Listen, I'm not saying it's a fact. I'm just saying that I believe them more then online sites. Forza 3 is coming in October which is still far away but pre-orders, collectors editions and all info is already known, so why shouldn't be if GT5 is coming out this year close to that time (or sooner). I've pre-ordered hundreds of games through them and the only time I didn't get it by announced date was when the publisher moved the release. If the game was indeed coming out this year, they'd already have the SKU ready along with collector's edition a while back which wasn't the case. It just seems more logical that their date is actually correct.

Edited by Boz

• 2 weeks later...
These have to be touched up, looks too good to be true..

10 times the polycount.

the only car I can even spot any specular highlight defects on are the race car with the round headlights on the smooth round bumper. even then it's very slight. And that's a shape where it's practically impossible to avoid, best case you can mininmize it by increasing local polycount to crazy numbers and do massive admouns of cleanup of the mesh after cutting out the headlight.

so I'm impressed good work on the cas meshes, and especially on the shaders, the white toyota could have been an actual photo.

Looks like plastic...really shiny plastic.

yeah... like the real car :p

The difference is that it doesn't look like CGI plastic, it looks liek the actual plastic and paint they use on the car(s). and all the edges, even the tiny ones are all beautifully chamfered. dunno if that's done on the model or in the shader as both methods work equally well for stuff like that, but the end result is some truly amazing cars.

Looks like plastic...really shiny plastic.

Yeah, cars with the metallic paint job still look too shiny. The other ones look great though.

Looks good, but they'd probably be best put in the official Forza thread, not in this train wreck of a topic!

Why do some cars have drivers others not? I've noticed that with Forza 3 shots :p Ghost cars!

I think maybe they picked these cars based on the kind of cars their target market owns (I've got a Versa, and it looks pretty much spot on, although as noted the lighting on that leading edge is a little bit weird...you're going to have that in a game).

I'm not sure if anyone else here remembers the lead up to Forza 2, but many many screenshots were released looking equally stunning. The thing was, all of the screens were from the replay mode (which added a significant amount of "bling" to the visuals at the cost of a lower framerate) and we didn't really see any gameplay stuff right up until release. Of course then we were able to see the true in game visuals, which were a lot less jaw dropping.

I just think its important to remember that this release will show exactly the same scenario - i.e. remember that these screenshots are what you will see in replays, but probably not gameplay!

That aside, it does look like they've made leaps and bounds over FM2 :)