let the games begin: Forza 3 vs GT 5 comparison pictures

Both look amazing, though my choice goes to Forza 3, not that it's better looking, but it appeals more to me. the livery editor is a huge plus and this announced rewind assist also pulls me over to Forza's side, who cares we don't get 800 cars? I think 400 is more than enough...

Most of the cars are the same car with different livery anyway though.

better to wait for the 2 games to be released and then compare.

Someone posting sense?!?! :o :p

It's fine just wait till both games are out and Eurogamer will post their insightful PS3 vs 360 comparison article number 873.

These topics on GT5 vs Forza 3 are really becoming quite asinine. Two unreleased games getting sparred off, you might as well just change the topic title to 360 vs PS3, as that's all it ever becomes...

I think the bigger concern in this economic crisis is how the hell do we prevent ourselves spending hundreds on a steering wheel with two big racing simulators incoming? :(

I'm sitting here in the states tempted so badly to buy a steering wheel and bring it home. However I'm also eyeing up an iPod touch to replace my old 5G. The iPhone gaming scene is picking up a fair bit.

I think we all know that it won't look that good in-game. There, I said it. :boo:

double post

Hey, I know how eager you are to reach to 20k :laugh: :p

Hopefully won't be too long until both GT5 and FIII are out :rofl:

I think we all know that it won't look that good in-game. There, I said it. :boo:

I think we'll see wrenches being thrown at instead of tomatoes :laugh:

We know, mainly because both consoles are horrible at handling Anti-aliasing, which can be seen in large quantities in both shots.

The Forza image still looks cgi computer generated...

But the GT5 looks almost real....very hard to say it is not a real car in that photo.

GT5 ftw!!

It won't they're not in-game screens.

It's a combination of replay mode, of which I know in GT5 Prologue drops from 60FPS to 30FPS and adds AA/Lighting/Shadow improvements, and also PR/media touch ups. In other words even more AA/detail added on top of the replay mode additions.

and @ Munky from earlier (in another topic as well), Jimmy Carr FTW :woot:

Well wichever one of the games you look at. actual racing graphics don't need to be anywhere close to the replay and pause/screenshot graphics.

when playing your' racing a long at high speed, you can't see any track details, you can't really see much of the reflections on other cars than your own. what you can see is only the stuff that is far away and don't move as fast as the stuff around you. And it's not like you focus on the distant mountains when racing in a car :)

of course, the cars and roads will still have the same poly count and textures, which is what's really important. The times when you need and will notice extra high res reflection on the other cars, normal mapping on the road edges++ is when you are in replay or photoshoot modes.

Even so I doubt the difference will be huge anyway, a lot of the improvements aren't taking much away from performance anyway. They're just doing stuff new palces and things they didn't think of before.

In any case, the one graphics upgrade I want is that they actually use Anisotropic filtering. both in Forza 2 and PGR the bilinear/trilinear filtering cutoff line is painfully obvious. even more so because they're racing games, so you're allways going along a road.

These topics on GT5 vs Forza 3 are really becoming quite asinine. Two unreleased games getting sparred off, you might as well just change the topic title to 360 vs PS3, as that's all it ever becomes...

Well, no one is forcing you into the threads ;)

ohh god no, i can see this thread going out of hand when all the fanboys start arguing

In case you haven't noticed we're already at Page 6 and many of the regulars already had their say :p

Doesn't GT5 have a better physics engine? Isn't that the point of the franchise from the very beginning? The producer wanted to make a game that had realistic damage and controls. I know that GT5 is used sometimes for simulations unlike Forza.

If you'd go strictly by the shots in OP,it's clearly that Forza 3 wipes the floor with GT5 when we talk details.

But... they're both touched up shots and GT5 one is really an OLD pic.Regardless,look at the Ferrari logo on the side,door handle,wheels etc...

I'm a big fan of GT but Forza 3 is the only game that actually made me feel GT was surpassed graphically and I'd thought I'd never ever say that. :blush:

5oysuo.jpg

Doesn't GT5 have a better physics engine? Isn't that the point of the franchise from the very beginning? The producer wanted to make a game that had realistic damage and controls. I know that GT5 is used sometimes for simulations unlike Forza.

GT's physics system was never anything to write home about. Everything felt very static and pre-determined. Forza 3 is going to feature 'realistic' Tire wear even up to a point where you could get a blow-out - Now just that one feature blows away every single generation of GT "physic" up to this point. So unless GT5 goes above and beyond with something special, Forza definitely have and always had the better physics engine. Even Forza 2 allowed you to see the real-time movement of the shock absorbers and tire wear was based on the heat of the tires.

They look pretty identical to me except the forza one looks dull and flat.

Different, lighting, different enviroment, different car color.

look at the Forza video wich show red, blue and dark cars, and you'll see that the cars are just as vibrant and reflective as the GT5 car.

bright and grey colors just doesn't show off the shiny and reflections very well comparatively.

It's funny how different people see things.

Forza 3 looks quite a bit more appealing to me.

But it will be interesting to see them side by side playing. That's the real test.

To me, the car in Forza 3 looks more detailed. It has self-shadowing whereas the car in GT5 doesn't show any shadows at all, let alone self-shadows. Of course, there are shadows (and perhaps self-shadows) in GT5. I'm just going by the two screenshots. In any case, one thing that really stands out to me are the environments in Forza 3.

Forza 3 looks very video games

GT5 looks more like a real photo with depth of field and everything.

Both looks great

As already mentioned, play fair, it's an old GT5:P picture against a just released Forza 3 pic. Lets see what they both look like on release :)

For those commenting on the environment, GT5's is blurred out for more attention to be given to the car model. If you want to see a detailed mountian shot from Prologue ....

gran-turismo-hd-20061019041333801.jpg

Edited by AbandonedTrolley

GT's physics system was never anything to write home about. Everything felt very static and pre-determined. Forza 3 is going to feature 'realistic' Tire wear even up to a point where you could get a blow-out - Now just that one feature blows away every single generation of GT "physic" up to this point. So unless GT5 goes above and beyond with something special, Forza definitely have and always had the better physics engine. Even Forza 2 allowed you to see the real-time movement of the shock absorbers and tire wear was based on the heat of the tires.

Gran Turismo has had tire wear since GT3, the tires could not blow up, but it had tire wear. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Gran Turismo has had tire wear since GT3, the tires could not blow up, but it had tire wear. So I don't know what you're talking about.

I knew someone would mention it, have you actually played those games? That tire wear was pathetic and predictable. Plus, as far as I remember, was only enabled during endurance races?

( And why did you create yet another account, don't you get bored of it? )

yeah. Forza has had tire wear too, just like the ancient F1 game on PC from before Forza was even thought of.

The difference is that Forza 3 uses accurate real physics for the tires. to calculate air pressure, friction, contacts surface and wear from all of that. Not a pre determined formula determining wear and grip simply from time and speed driven.