let the games begin: Forza 3 vs GT 5 comparison pictures

I feel I can give a fairly balanced (i.e. un-fanboy) opinion of this in terms of which is better regarding Gran Turismo and Forza..

I previous purchased all of the Sony consoles (Playstation, PSone, Playstation, PSTwo) purely for the Gran Turismo games. I don't know why I'd pay so much just for a game title but for some reason I couldn't help it - I just loved playing them.

As this generation of console dropped I decided it was a bit expensive to keep doing that and besides, there was no Gran Turismo (proper) out yet for the PS3 so I held off. Before christmas I got a HDTV and there were some killer prices on Xbox 360's around - but still nagging at me was the feeling that the Gran Turismo alternative, Forza, could never be up to scratch compared to Gran Turismo. I caved to the pricing on the Xbox 360 though and dutifully picked up Forza expected to be underwhelmed - but actually I (and am still finding) that I enjoy it more than Gran Turismo. I'm certainly playing it more than I ever did play Gran Turismo.

I since had the chance to try out the most recent version of GT:Prologue at a friends house on his PS3 and really didn't get into it - it looked beautiful but it didn't quite feel the same as I remeber Gran Turismo. In retrospect I'm glad I went with the Xbox and Forza.. and can't wait for Forza 3 now!

Since when is forza even in the same stratosphere as GT? Gran Turismo is the undisputed king of driving sims.

Yo dude, I think there's too much 360 on your profile.

Just wait until we see more in game videos/gameplay before saying which one is best.

The Forza model is far better than the GT5 one, the wheels alone say it all, flat wheels on the GT5, structures on Forza.

The detail of the Forza car is going to be higher since the Forza team actually scan the car shape, while the GT looks near right but the dimensions are out.

The Environment of the Forza shot is obviously better but the GT5 shot is inner city, and because of the detail around the city, which would put serious stress on a console it's been dubbed down, so you just can't compare there. While the reflections on GT5 seem better, your probably seeing a lack of reflection due to the city.

TBH while i love the GT series, Forza is definatley looking like the champion now.

The Forza model is far better than the GT5 one, the wheels alone say it all, flat wheels on the GT5, structures on Forza.

The detail of the Forza car is going to be higher since the Forza team actually scan the car shape, while the GT looks near right but the dimensions are out.

The Environment of the Forza shot is obviously better but the GT5 shot is inner city, and because of the detail around the city, which would put serious stress on a console it's been dubbed down, so you just can't compare there. While the reflections on GT5 seem better, your probably seeing a lack of reflection due to the city.

TBH while i love the GT series, Forza is definatley looking like the champion now.

THE GT5 PIC IS OLD,

O L D.

STOP POSTING ABOUT WHAT LOOKS BETTER, THE COMPARISON IS BIASED.

Good gawd you guys are thick...

THE GT5 PIC IS OLD,

O L D.

STOP POSTING ABOUT WHAT LOOKS BETTER, THE COMPARISON IS BIASED.

Good gawd you guys are thick...

yeah, it's an old pic of what GT5P looks like GT5P IS GT5, and will look the same(flat textureless asphalt an all) except the non demo version of GT5 will have some kind of car damage.

yeah, it's an old pic of what GT5P looks like GT5P IS GT5, and will look the same(flat textureless asphalt an all) except the non demo version of GT5 will have some kind of car damage.

Please tell me how you know this?

Again to put some context into this argument.

GT5P came out in 2007, Forza 2 came out in 2007. Look at the differences the Forza devs have made to Forza 3 over Forza 2 on the Forza engine.

PD will have improved the engine, it's not a case of will they or won't they, they will have. We'll need to see to what extent but I wish people would stop saying GT5P will look exactly the same as GT5.

If you want my 2 cents, environments, trees, roads will get the biggest bumps. Car models have always been great, they'll see some improvements though no doubt.

1244592920753m.jpg

Please tell me how you know this?

Again to put some context into this argument.

GT5P came out in 2007, Forza 2 came out in 2007. Look at the differences the Forza devs have made to Forza 3 over Forza 2 on the Forza engine.

Because it's the same game? Forza 2 and Forza 3 are different games. Considering the amount of time PD needed to just model 800 cars or whatever plus tracks plus damage plus adjustments and code that goes with that, it's not hard to imagine that GT5 will look the same only will have more features. They sure ain't going to drastically overhaul the engine. It is what it is.

And GT5 Prologue came out March 28th 2008 in Europe and April 15th 2008 in North America. Forza 2 came out May 2007. As I said.. GT5 is the same game that will have things that were missing from GT5 Prologue feature wise while Forza 3 is the next gen Forza game. If GT5 was to look completely different it would be called GT6 not GT5.

Touched up bullshot 1 vs Touched up bullshot 2?

Think I'll wait until both games are out and actually complete for this.

And good try passing that off as a GT5 Shot from E3. It's a GT5 Prologue shot from last year... You only need to look at the URL for more proof, let alone I know it's from GT5 Prologue anyway. A game that FTR came out in the same year as Forza 2.

The GT definitely has some bullshot signs. Check where the "rubber meets the road." Something fishy there. But as a poster above noted, Forza 3 will be the best looking and best playing sim racer on the 360 while GT5 will likewise be the best available on the PS3.

Most GT5 shots are polished up.. Even the the E3 video is touched up. The fact is that we can see how Forza 3 looks like. There's plenty of HD gameplay video and it really does look that good. GT5 so far is all fog and videos with no real gameplay or actual screenshots from the game.

I hate the fact that you can't see any gameplay from GT5 and this game is supposed to come out this year? I don't think so.

Because it's the same game? Forza 2 and Forza 3 are different games. Considering the amount of time PD needed to just model 800 cars or whatever plus tracks plus damage plus adjustments and code that goes with that, it's not hard to imagine that GT5 will look the same only will have more features. They sure ain't going to drastically overhaul the engine. It is what it is.

And GT5 Prologue came out March 28th 2008 in Europe and April 15th 2008 in North America. Forza 2 came out May 2007. As I said.. GT5 is the same game that will have things that were missing from GT5 Prologue feature wise while Forza 3 is the next gen Forza game. If GT5 was to look completely different it would be called GT6 not GT5.

What matters is when the development snapshot for Prologue was taken away from the GT5 trunk if you want to call it that, and polished for release, and that was in 2007 for Japan.

And saying they are the same game shows your ignorance between the differences of prologue versions and retail versions in the past.

Oh well, you won't back down, we'll just have to wait till GT5 is unveiled and see if you're left with a red face. We already know NASCAR and WRC are big additions since Prologue, yet prologue is the same game...

WRC isn't a big addition considering previous GT games already had Rally cars and stages, just an official license and a few other names - It's nothing groundbreaking for the series. Nascar on the other hand is a new addition but then again ... Driving around a oval won't get more interesting with Gran Turismo's sterile feel.

WRC isn't a big addition considering previous GT games already had Rally cars and stages, just an official license and a few other names - It's nothing groundbreaking for the series. Nascar on the other hand is a new addition but then again ... Driving around a oval won't get more interesting with Gran Turismo's sterile feel.

Yeah I was wondering why people were bigging that up myself. Hell, the WRC games sucked.

It's the only motorsport I like and follow, I'm not looking forward to GT5, I'm looking forward to DiRT 2 :yes:

The CMR series is home to rally games :) :yes:

I'm sorry but if you don't think they're large additions you can't be in touch with the car world.

Not only is it official licensing that should bring along the ability to add official events and more licensed cars, it'll mean GT5 being sponsored and promoted within these events in real life.

Then from a player point of view it opens GT5 up to more racing fans. WRC and NASCAR are hugely popular racing events.

What matters is when the development snapshot for Prologue was taken away from the GT5 trunk if you want to call it that, and polished for release, and that was in 2007 for Japan.

And saying they are the same game shows your ignorance between the differences of prologue versions and retail versions in the past.

They were always the same games.. Prologue was just a simpler version. There's a reason why IGN puts GT5 Prologue shots under GT5 category. Obviously everyone is aware that GT5 will look like GT5 Prologue visually but will have more things.

And Prologue was just done in GT4 and now with GT5.. it's not a long time tradition and I'm pretty sure I've been playing GT games longer than you.

Even with GT4 the difference between GT4 Prologue and GT4 was not present visually, it was mostly feature wise:

GT4 Prologue

024gt4p_itrdc2_640w.jpg

GT4 Retail

gran%20turismo%204_082703_003_640w.jpg

And I think you are taking things very personally. I really "DON'T CARE" I'm just pointing out facts. I will buy both but I personally am not expecting any major improvement in graphics dept. GT5 will look very similar to GT5 Prologue but will have a bunch of new features and things that were missing from GT5P. If you expect something completely different in graphics you are in for a disappointment.

Boz you love "stating facts".

I just hope all this fact stating doesn't bite you in the ass seeing as it's surrounding a game you know hardly anything about.

I don't expect anything majorly different, I do expect damage, better lighting, better shadows, general engine improvements and better scenery.

GT4 Prologue/GT4 came at the end of the PS2s lifespan, how could it be pushed much further? Did you think about that? GT5 Prologue came 1 year after the PS3 was on shelves, GT5 is coming out years later. It's going to look better.

Then from a player point of view it opens GT5 up to more racing fans. WRC and NASCAR are hugely popular racing events.

Actually, it's not, at least not the gaming realm. That is why DiRT 2 is taking a different approach and it's becoming more "extreme sport" like.

Nascar is even less popular, like everywhere apart from the Southern states of US. I don't know one person who likes Nascar in real life and all my mates are gear heads.

Most GT5 shots are polished up.. Even the the E3 video is touched up. The fact is that we can see how Forza 3 looks like. There's plenty of HD gameplay video and it really does look that good. GT5 so far is all fog and videos with no real gameplay or actual screenshots from the game.

I hate the fact that you can't see any gameplay from GT5 and this game is supposed to come out this year? I don't think so.

There are plenty of gameplay videos of GT5 around the web.

Actually, it's not, at least not the gaming realm. That is why DiRT 2 is taking a different approach and it's becoming more "extreme sport" like.

Nascar is even less popular, like everywhere apart from the Southern states of US. I don't know one person who likes Nascar in real life and all my mates are gear heads.

GT has already established itself as a car related experience as well as a game, look at the amount of units it ships. People who just have an interest in cars even dip their heads in when they may not be typically a large gamer. You don't sell over 50 million units, GT3 itself reaching almost 15 million, unless you're appealing to car fanatics on another level than "just a game". I mean, 15 million units for an exclusive that is a car game is impressive.

Things like DiRT won't get advertisement and branding through NASCAR and WRC like GT will.

People who watch NASCAR and WRC in real life will be subjected to things like this (GT branding)

Gt_by_citroen_paris_motor_show_2008.jpg

NASCAR isn't popular in Scotland, I don't know anyone interested in it, but just because no one here likes it doesn't mean there isn't other people across the world.

The more demographics you appeal to the further you could branch your franchise out.

There are plenty of gameplay videos of GT5 around the web.

No there's not, GT5P yes, GT5, no.

Your correct in the sense the engine won't change much BUT that isn't to say GT5 will look identical to GT5P. You can see the engine has progressed, the first look at the engine was the GT:HD tech demo and it progressed quite alot from there in the form GT5P and I'm sure they have been listening to user feedback on GT5P and will further tune the engine (plus it wasn't even techically finished in GT5P, it was a work in progress). While I don't expect any radical changes in the overall look, it will be different; damage for one will change things, the cars could potentially handle differently if they further tweak the physics engine (which they have done in GT5P, Spec II I think it was made some minor tweaks so we know they are constantly looking at that) addition of night racing, possibilty of variable weather (this is just a rumor at this stage) will change things. They also may add/remove filters to change the overall look as well, all minor things that can make a big difference. So yes, what we see in GT5P is essentially what we are getting, but it will still be different from GT5P as Polyphony "bolt on" additional functionality.

How do you know the Forza 3 shots arn't "touched up"? it's not like Polyphony are the only company that do this you know...as to the release date, I'm fairly confident it will release this year, considering how secretive Polyphony have been about it I doubt they'd break their silence to make a bold faced lie. While yes you can argue they never stated when it would release I think it's fairly clear a '09 release is hinted.

Edited by Xerxes

How do you know the Forza 3 shots arn't "touched up"?

Because we've seen the actual HD footage from the live game. It's not touched up..that's how it looks like.

as to the release date, I'm fairly confident it will release this year, considering how secretive Polyphony have been about it I doubt they'd break their silence to make a bold faced lie. While yes you can argue they never stated when it would release I think it's fairly clear a '09 release is hinted.

Who hinted it? Making games and selling them is a business. In order to actually sell the game you have to release infomation about availability to retailers and other companies nad people involved. I've never seen a game that had a release date not stated and then suddenly it just pops on the retail shelves. That's not how it works. For most games you already know at the beginning of the year when they'll be released. E3 was basically a showcase of games but those who are coming out are stated to be released. There's no such confirmation or any hint of it about GT5. I personally think they'll be releasing it next year around March at best. Considering what they've seen with Forza 3 I'm sure now they are going to be delaying the game even more to try to outdo it more (just a feeling) because graphics now don't give them the advantage which was actually the case with Forza 2 vs GT5 Prologue.

Because we've seen the actual HD footage from the live game. It's not touched up..that's how it looks like.

Who hinted it? Making games and selling them is a business. In order to actually sell the game you have to release infomation about availability to retailers and other companies nad people involved. I've never seen a game that had a release date not stated and then suddenly it just pops on the retail shelves. That's not how it works. For most games you already know at the beginning of the year when they'll be released. E3 was basically a showcase of games but those who are coming out are stated to be released. There's no such confirmation or any hint of it about GT5. I personally think they'll be releasing it next year around March at best. Considering what they've seen with Forza 3 I'm sure now they are going to be delaying the game even more to try to outdo it more (just a feeling) because graphics now don't give them the advantage which was actually the case with Forza 2 vs GT5 Prologue.

I think you underestimate Polyphony, Forza 3 is damn good but no one knows the full extent of GT5. I think dismissing GT5 because Forza 3 looks smoking hot is a mistake. Personally, I don't think Polyphony are too worried about graphics, GT has never been about graphics, it's always been about the cars. Forza has always looked better then GT anyway, as Forza has always offered a superior complete visual experience (mainly thanks to the extra horsepower they had to play with in the Xbox/X360) while Polyphony were more concerned about making the cars look as realistic as possible and the racing environments were always secondary. I think GT5's main "problem" is insisting it runs native at 1080p, as it sacrifices detail for resolution (as running at 1080p @ 60Hz bears a cost on visuals) Forza 3 they are making it as good as they can and then running it at the highest resolution that allows that detail, while Polyphony are trying to shoehorn the game into 1080p which I beleive is a mistake (I get the feeling that was a Sony decision, considering how obessed they are with "Full HD" gaming). However, personally I see all this bickering about who has the superior game is rather pointless. I just don't see a problem, if you got a 360 get Forza 3 or if you got a PS3 get GT5 and if your lucky enough to have both systems why not get both! it's not that hard and if your so hung up on who has the highest detail or best features etc...perhaps you need to rethink your priorities? game on!! :D

Edited by Xerxes

The more demographics you appeal to the further you could branch your franchise out.

Yes but there is also a very true saying.."Jack of all trades, master of none"

And it fits the GT series perfectly when it comes to WRC (at least from prior games, can't comment on GT5 obviously).