• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Staff Re-shuffle

Vice    1,593
Yes I agree. Apologies this wasn't done but it wasn't clear at the time as it happened all within a few hours. What was clear was that members would notice straight away and a thread was made by a member so we made this thread based on the very little information we had at the time.

I understand :)

Subject Delta    108

Well Tom's explanation has cleared things up a bit and I thank him for that, but to people like Brad and Joel your apparent attitudes don't help people remain calm and relaxed, which is what issues like this really call for.

Joel    27

No one made you uncalm and unrelaxed, except for you yourself. So asking others to make you feel better NOW is really just unrealistic.

Martyn    5

Those are some big names to lose, and it would be good to have some transparency over what has happened. The members who resigned are some of the most loved and respected members on Neowin, and it is worrying to see this exodus, although I hope I can still enjoy their posts in the future as veterans.

It is rather worrying though, in my opinion Neowin has become a lot more locked down from the end user over the last few years, mainly since all the Stardock stuff occured.

Brad.    7
Well Tom's explanation has cleared things up a bit and I thank him for that, but to people like Brad and Joel your apparent attitudes don't help people remain calm and relaxed, which is what issues like this really call for.

Wait, what? I'm on your side and feel exactly how you feel, I wasn't sure how quickly we'd be told the latest news so kept my mouth shut for a while.

Subject Delta    108
No one made you uncalm and unrelaxed, except for you yourself. So asking others to make you feel better NOW is really just unrealistic.

Don't make me laugh, it is posts like this that make other people annoyed. I am not asking anyone to make me feel better, but to have you keep going around making posts like this backed up by arrogance is frustraiting for anyone it is directed at, and it contributes nothing to the thread.

Wait, what? I'm on your side and feel exactly how you feel, I wasn't sure how quickly we'd be told the latest news so kept my mouth shut for a while.

Sorry, may have gotten you mixed up with someone else

houlty    2

I think people are looking too much into it.

I mean yeah, sure, it would be nice to know what happened (for that gossip side of us), but as long as Neowin 'as we know it' isn't changing in a substantial way i don't think we have a right, or indeed need, to know.

Having said that though, a more open policy would make some members feel more involved and valued.

Brad.    7
Sorry, may have gotten you mixed up with someone else

Doubt it, people usually get the wrong end of the stick with what I say :p

I'm happy that Tom has stepped forward and told us basically what we were looking for, it's a shame that one Moderators departure led to another.

Joel    27
Don't make me laugh, it is posts like this that make other people annoyed.

So, people saying that this website somehow owes them an explanation is not annoying? I'm trying to tell you that, whatever you want, it may not be in the cards. I'm not speaking from arrogance, but familiarity.

Subject Delta    108

I am well aware that there is usually a culture of silence around here, but I hoped an event of this size may be a small exception to that rule, but my main problem is with your attitude and manner of posting, not what you are actually trying to state

+Audioboxer    2,876

Jeeez Joel, remember you probably know everything and we don't. You're in a different position than us, so that arrogance directed at members is uncalled for. Many of us were close to some of these staff members and it's a bit of a shock to see them all leave so suddenly. You can't blame run of the mill members for getting mixed emotions from that, we don't get to see the staff rooms and staff relationships like you have for a lengthy period of time, understandably of course, but bear it in mind when you see "concerned" members running around.

If someone had said we're having staff discussions internally surrounding the site/staff positions a week ago, stay tuned for "results", it's less of a shock than waking up one day and seeing a clean out. Communication is key to avoiding things going out of proportion.

That said, thank you for a slightly better detailing of what happened Tom. Please do understand for future reference if anything big changes again getting something useful out to the members quickly tends to avoid the bulk of these discussions (Y)

Aperture    0

When can we go back to posting normally again? =D

We don't have a right to be told anything, so despite our collective morbid curiosity, can we go back to flaming the current staff for x, y, z reasons and leave the retirees to rest their croaky heads in peace? I'm sure as hell going to miss em' - but nothings ever for good.

Joel    27
Jeeez Joel, remember you probably know everything and we don't. You're in a different position than us

Yes, and years worth of backstory are most likely not going to get told. So, you can never really know the whole story. Almost any explanation made will sound inadequate in that light. What part of me saying that is arrogance?

+Audioboxer    2,876
Yes, and years worth of backstory are most likely not going to get told. So, you can never really know the whole story. Almost any explanation made will sound inadequate in that light. What part of me saying that is arrogance?

I appreciate that and understand things may have deep roots that for obvious reasons are better left in private, but do we really need to act like this to members?

Coming into this thread and acting like you're due an explanation for this is really quite laughable.

Tom has now given you guys a little more to chew on. Don't finish it too quickly, or you'll find yourselves hungry for info again too quickly.

You should know better saying things like that is making us look like idiots for showing concern/interest in a board we enjoy visiting and for friends either on staff or on the board we post alongside.

There's little point in stamping your feet and throwing threats of leaving as a member when you know so little [and so much may have no impact on you at all], but I can see many people in here are posting genuinely, not just to chip in on some "drama".

Joel    27
I appreciate that and understand things may have deep roots that for obvious reasons are better left in private, but do we really need to act like this to members?

You should know better saying things like that is making us look like idiots for showing concern/interest in a board we enjoy visiting and for friends either on staff or on the board we post alongside.

Well, there was a clamor for just a little info, which had already been given. Then there was a clamor for more info, which was then given. I bet you know what comes next (and has already been stated); transparency. Full disclosure. Someone will ask for it, if they haven't already. Wait and see.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Well, there was a clamor for just a little info, which had already been given. Then there was a clamor for more info, which was then given. I bet you know what comes next (and has already been stated); transparency. Full disclosure. Someone will ask for it, if they haven't already. Wait and see.

Joel you can hardly call the first announcement "info" or even a "little info".

The most sensible headed of us members know full transparency would probably do more damage to the board than good, but Tom's second explanation let's people know (which was only just posted, yet you were telling members prior to it to stop discussing/asking)

a) It was internal issues with staff

and

b) It's nothing to do with "outside" sources

Those two things alone squash any speculation of outside sources or anything wild like that. People on this board know about the involvement of Stardock with Neowin and other things, so like it or not with little information it was always something that had a chance of coming up.

And yeah, some people will always harp on for full access to the staff forums, but as I said at the start of the post most sensible members know staff sections need to be protected from public access for good reasons.

vincent    155

Reason's been given, close this thread now please.

Joel    27
a) It was internal issues with staff

and

b) It's nothing to do with outside sources

And if it had to do with external issues and that McDonald's took over Neowin, so what?

ToneKnee    326
And if it had to do with external issues and that McDonald's took over Neowin, so what?

I work for McDonalds, so get back to work.

:p

Fred Derf    217

A free Big-Mac with every banning?

Oh wait, there's no way that I'm wearing any costume!

Vice    1,593

Why are you being so confrontational it is not needed. I think you are Flame baiting with comments like this.

+Audioboxer    2,876

You can't just be so candid with statements like that.

A change of power or administration of anything in life can have a lot of repercussions and changes. Telling your staff and/or members about things like that at the last minute the majority of the times will cause uproar.

When you're about to make large changes staff need to know in advance, be educated about what's happening, and then the members next. All prior to the launch of such changes.

Seeing 8+ members of staff kick the bucket then the members finding out someone had taken over/changed the way Neowin will operate is not a sensible away to approach change. So if that's the way things had played out it would've been handled very badly.

But of course your remark was yet again rhetorical just to try and make me look stupid...

A free Big-Mac with every banning?

Oh wait, there's no way that I'm wearing any costume!

Hey, it softens up the kick in the ass and the door locking behind you :p

Miuku.    364

You know, I've seen more than a few posts on the Neowin front page criticising other businesses and organisations because they weren't forthcoming with information - now that the tables are turned suddenly everyone who dares to ask "What happened?" is out of line and essentially a presumptuous idiot?

Joel    27
Why are you being so confrontational it is not needed.

I'm not. I'm trying to get you guys to see that, even if Neowin was taken over by one-armed, one-eyed, flying purple people eaters, SO WHAT? Any results of that that you can imagine could have happened under the staus quo also. There are some people in this thread acting as if their constitutional rights have been infringed by not knowing the whole story.

You know, I've seen more than a few posts on the Neowin front page criticising other businesses and organisations because they weren't forthcoming with information

Yes, to their shareholders. Neowin's shareholders are all aware of the situation, thank you.

Vice    1,593
I'm not. I'm trying to get you guys to see that, even if Neowin was taken over by one-armed, one-eyed, flying purple people eaters, SO WHAT? Any results of that that you can imagine could have happened under the staus quo also. There are some people in this thread acting as if their constitutional rights have been infringed by not knowing the whole story.

It isn't what you are trying to assert it is with the way in which you are conducting your posts. This is disappointing.