Staff Re-shuffle

It matters because members are asking. This is a forum, not a multi million dollar corporate website with trade secrets. Reading this thread has been quite illuminating.

If anything is taken away from this debacle, I think that it's quite apparent that the staffing on this forum needs addressing top to bottom. Some kind of unification and coherency would be beneficial, because very few sing off the same hymn sheet resulting in confusion and upset members.

Joel: Your condescending tone towards members is/was quite frankly uncalled for. While I understand the point you're trying to make, there is no reason for you to talk down to members like you have in this thread.

As a former supervisor you ought to know better.

+1 I agree with both Posters.

Agreed (Y)

I have no idea why you're so defensive over this Joel, my condolences if you're frustrated/annoyed or whatever over what's gone on, but us members, most of us, don't mean any harm nor are we purposely seeking all the private matters that you may or may not have been involved in internally.

So please back down a little, it's becoming pretty disrespectful at times, none of the admins or mods are acting like you have, in fact they've been open enough to let this topic probably continue longer than it has had to, and did finally give us a clearer answer.

Reading through this thread, I don't feel like this is much of a great community with the way the members have been treated. Members asked what was going on and how many pages did it take to finally get a half-way decent response? And then certain former staff has the attitude he does. Shouldn't building a great community be a little more forgiving when the members of that community want an explanation to something?

I do, however, appreciate Tom's response though. (Y)

Joel: Your condescending tone towards members is/was quite frankly uncalled for. While I understand the point you're trying to make, there is no reason for you to talk down to members like you have in this thread.

I was going to post something along similar lines, but after having been warned in the past for posting a well used British phrase to describe someone as being cocky, I figured I would get a ban for it.

To be fair, he didn't know any better in his last few months as a supervisor, when he decided it would be fun to insult the entire membership.

This thread makes about as much sense as a Warcraft guild breakup

Well, here's the condensed version:

• Announcement is made that several staff members have left, Tom is now an Admin
  • Members request what caused such a large number of staff to leave
  • Announcement of which staff left
  • More requests for what the cause was
  • Staff states reason is a private matter
  • Announcement that some staff has returned
  • Former staff member(s) tells us it isn't any of our business
  • Tom posts decent explanation to the cause
  • Former staff member(s) continues to tell us it isn't any of our business

Condensed version, but you get the point :D

• Announcement is made that several staff members have left, Tom is now an Admin

Thanks for the rundown I thought I was going to have to drink myself silly in order to get it lol :D

No, you've mixed it up a bit. It's "former staff member tells us that we should have no expectation of disclosure, just because we ask for it."

To be fair, he didn't know any better in his last few months as a supervisor, when he decided it would be fun to insult the entire membership.

Let me guess; thread ratings are your life.

Good ol' Neowin, my favorite soap opera...

It's funny seeing how some members think they own the site, demanding full disclosure about everything. It's just the Internet people, get over it.

It's funny seeing how some members think they own the site,

Of course not, but we are major stakeholders in it. Without us, none of this drama would be relevant anyway as the site wouldn't even exist.

It's funny seeing how some members think they own the site

If it wasn't for free membership it wouldn't be worth owning.

I'll expand ;)

Staff do a wonderful job at keeping us informed of new and exciting things. They control what and how information is provided

Moderators (unpaid) help remove spam, and otherwise make sure all topics are clean and not breaking any board rules

Members (like you and me) make up the most part of the forum. Without these members, the forum would not exist. Members should be given the most support and guidance (especially new comers) And should feel as though they are part of the community. Welcomed in every post and on any question

So how about re-arrange of how (some) "senior" members feel that attacking (even abusing) other members is ok?

Yes provide all the info (as much as possibly allowed) and respect to the members. For they are the forum's lifeline

If it wasn't for free membership it wouldn't be worth owning.

I'll expand ;)

Staff do a wonderful job at keeping us informed of new and exciting things. They control what and how information is provided

Moderators (unpaid) help remove spam, and otherwise make sure all topics are clean and not breaking any board rules

Members (like you and me) make up the most part of the forum. Without these members, the forum would not exist. Members should be given the most support and guidance (especially new comers) And should feel as though they are part of the community. Welcomed in every post and on any question

So how about re-arrange of how (some) "senior" members feel that attacking (even abusing) other members is ok?

Yes provide all the info (as much as possibly allowed) and respect to the members. For they are the forum's lifeline

I took the time to read the whole thread and some members were definitely a bit too arrogant. Senior members (I know who you're referring to) just tried to put them in their place.

You can see I'm a subscriber, yet I know my place and don't complain about every little thing that happens between the staff. It's their problem to solve, not ours.

I've also been here long enough to know that the staff actually cares for us as members, there was no need for such a long thread talking about conspiracy, shadiness, takeovers and whatnot. Let the staff do what they do best, manage. If someday they fail, well, the Internet is a vast place. We'll also "manage".

Whilst Joel has a point, the way it has been conveyed was a little harsh on people rightly wanting answers to what has happened. Hopefully you all have the answers, if you have any questions or something you want to bring up privately PM me and I will respond. Thanks

Let me guess; thread ratings are your life.

So what was that about the condescending attitude being uncalled for?

And you don't think the way he said that was condescending? Consistent behavior like that from anyone else is less than acceptable, so why pass this off as okay when it comes from a Veteran?

Anyway, that's not the purpose of this thread.

And you don't think the way he said that was condescending?

No.

Consistent behavior like that from anyone else is less than acceptable, so why pass this off as okay when it comes from a Veteran?

Anyway, that's not the purpose of this thread.

Use the report then instead calling him out.

Really in the end it doesn't matter. If there's a really big change in the site and you're not happy about it, just leave.... No one is forcing you to come here, you keep coming back because it's a nice forum

Well, I usually don't like to close threads started by an Administrator but this is just getting silly. Well, more silly than McDonalds buying Neowin and Celine Dion singing inspiration Neowin music.

If you want to skip to what is important in this thread then read Tom W's posts.

Other than that,

[Thread Closed]