Windows 7 RTM Discussion

If it has RTMd, have they actually finished it properly by implementing new icons for those which weren't updated? I still find it silly that some icons were updated but others weren't (I'm looking at you Computer, Recycle Bin and Back and Forward buttons!).

Your assuming MS even care about updating the icons! :laugh: I mean seriously, there are probably icons from Win 3.1 still floating around in there somewhere, people just need to get over it! (yeah it does bug me too but I got over it).

The same peeps who are complaining about the 'icons' (LMAO what is that about?) are the same ones who are shoving every build on their system when it increments +1 in build number <---- and what is that all about too?? LOL!

RC7100 and lovin it :D

7100 should be made RTM (without the new icons) :rolleyes:

Some people just get irk over icons not changing over others. While I like seeing new things, I don't mind when simple things remain unchanged.

If they don't put new icons i wont get it.

Me either. Icons, sounds, and wallpaper are the only things that matter when it comes to an OS. I barely ever look at my desktop but if it doesn't have some damn good NEW icons, an awesome wallpaper, and a bunch of new exclusive to Windows 7 gadgets, I'll gladly pass!

To be honest, I don't care much if they don't update the sound pack. Going from Windows 98 to Me, wasn't the only changed sound the Microsoft Sound? But they're probably keeping Windows 7's welcome sound until the very last minute; after all, they changed Media Center's welcome sound, so why not?

And the icons... well, at this point, the icon set is fine. At least they've finally fixed some old artifacts during the betas.

Also to all the thurrott bashers out there... (I was once one of those) The guy may come off as arrogant sometimes, but he really is a decent guy. And dont go saying he doesnt know what hes talking about because he does more so than 90% of the people here. In fact I bet money anyone bashing him here has less access then he does. He actually goes to redmond and sits down with REAL Microsoft employees. He does have people that willingly give him stuff. I also know Rafael wouldnt be wasting his time writing a book with him if he was a bad guy. Yeah he doesnt always have his facts right but who does? Hes correct most the time.

+1

And the icons... well, at this point, the icon set is fine. At least they've finally fixed some old artifacts during the betas.

Honestly, I don't get why Microsoft updated a random few system icons with a completely different style while leaving the rest alone. It really isn't that big of a deal but God forbid Microsoft actually started to focus a bit more on overal consistency. They could at least phase out those remaining graphics from Windows 3.x till Windows XP instead of introducing yet another style. ;)

A limited number of icons were updated because the programs they were associated with were also changed (Paint/Wordpad/Notes/Calc).

It must be a great OS if the only thing people can bash are the icon styles. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't get why Microsoft updated a random few system icons with a completely different style while leaving the rest alone. It really isn't that big of a deal but God forbid Microsoft actually started to focus a bit more on overal consistency. They could at least phase out those remaining graphics from Windows 3.x till Windows XP instead of introducing yet another style. ;)

Exactly. I wouldn't care about new icons if some hadn't already been changed into a completely new style.

A limited number of icons were updated because the programs they were associated with were also changed (Paint/Wordpad/Notes/Calc).

Then surely they should have updated the icons in the same style as the rest, if they felt they had to update the icons? Or, surely they should have updated all the icons to the same style as the new ones?

I love change and I always appreciate new icons, but not if others aren't going to be updated and still remain in the old style. Look how out of place the Windows Media Player icon looks now...

Also to all the thurrott bashers out there... (I was once one of those) The guy may come off as arrogant sometimes, but he really is a decent guy. And dont go saying he doesnt know what hes talking about because he does more so than 90% of the people here. In fact I bet money anyone bashing him here has less access then he does. He actually goes to redmond and sits down with REAL Microsoft employees. He does have people that willingly give him stuff. I also know Rafael wouldnt be wasting his time writing a book with him if he was a bad guy. Yeah he doesnt always have his facts right but who does? Hes correct most the time.

I've gotta say, I don't quite get all the hate directed at Thurott. He's definitely knowledgable, and even though I don't agree with him all the time, he usually takes pains to explain his positions.

His knowledge of Microsoft products and technologies is pretty thorough, and perhaps that makes him look like an MS shill at times. I've heard him heartily criticize decisions out of Redmond, though, so I wouldn't quite classify him as a 'fanboi'.

And, yes, he's taken his shots at Apple (is that the problem? Really?), but I've never heard him say anything out-and-out unfair. I've heard him praise Apple on many occasions, too.

<shrug>I don't know...</shrug>

omg 16 pages, so it actully the RTM then? sorry to lazy to read 16 pages

Don't assume that it's RTM until Microsoft confirms it.

I'm running the latest 64bit build as my main OS on both home pc and laptop..it's perfect. I can't fault it.

I'm also running the 32bit on my htpc, which I have to say was the simplest install ever. No more codec hell!

Installed the MPC filters, install mediabrowser, switched the default decoder over and off we go. Full DXVA hardware decoding :D It also connects to my WHS without the need for Powerpack 3 beta for WHS (i'm not risking that yet, but it enables true win7 support). I've backed up the partition and restored it back from the server, no issues encountered.

for those worrying about having to reinstall if there's another RTM build, Simply upgrade. You can force the installation to upgrade previous versions even though the RTM builds are blocked from upgrading pre-release builds.

Edited by ZombieFly

I said the same :) 90% = general public, so yes he knows more than the general public does, but he still know very little about the stuff he is talking/writing about (the general public knows less and much less than very little). Other than that he is a decent guy, day by day delivering a valuable service to a potential 90% of the market and that is what matters at the end of the day, but regardless of that, don't confuse him with an expert because he simply isn't one.

Wow...17 pages....this is nuts, without a mention from Microsoft themselves...

This is what you call consumer demand