Windows 7 RTM Discussion

Well I am NOT happy! An update from WU STILL KILLS my 7600 build install. It goes completly dead. Won't boot and system restore and startup fix say they work, but nothing won't boot. Only option was to reinstall again. How can applying an update from Windows Update keep killing my computer? It's happened in so many builds since the RC build. Not good enough!

Well I am NOT happy! An update from WU STILL KILLS my 7600 build install. It goes completly dead. Won't boot and system restore and startup fix say they work, but nothing won't boot. Only option was to reinstall again. How can applying an update from Windows Update keep killing my computer? It's happened in so many builds since the RC build. Not good enough!

The release candidate build was the last official Windows 7 release from Microsoft. It worked in that build and therefore you cannot blame Microsoft for this by saying "Not good enough!". You chose to use a build which wasn't officially released or backed by Microsoft. Wait until the released RTM version - if it still doesn't work by then, then possibly it will not be good enough.

Maybe there is some sort of way you can send feedback about this bug?

Do you even know where Redmond is? It's only 7:02 AM PST there!

lol, I just did a Googlie for Washington Time :ninja: , now that I did Redmond Washington Time... sorry but they're quick with the press release it seems.

Unsupported builds are unsupported.

That's the 6th time someone has said that to me.

Honestly.

I'm only 14, I'm not in my 30s like some people on here so I don't know all these people.

Still, you should know someone like Paul by now if you are really intrested in the tech/PC world.

Come on MS...

The release candidate build was the last official Windows 7 release from Microsoft. It worked in that build and therefore you cannot blame Microsoft for this by saying "Not good enough!". You chose to use a build which wasn't officially released or backed by Microsoft. Wait until the released RTM version - if it still doesn't work by then, then possibly it will not be good enough.

Maybe there is some sort of way you can send feedback about this bug?

Not sure if they are related but I have had this problem quite a few times back on Windows Vista as well. Updates would fail with no apparent reason on a completely clean install. It wouldn't go to the point where my system didn't boot anymore but in some cases reinstalling Windows again was the only solution.

Windows Update on Vista always has been a bit problematic for me when installing large amounts of updates (after a clean install for example). :/ Hopefully things will turn out better with Windows 7. :)

That said, I agree with you that you can't expect perfect behaviour from a leaked non-official build.

My issue is, that is occured with thew RC build as well. What is even more frustrating is "startup repair" is useless. System Restore won't roll back the dodgy driver. I don't have high hopes for it to be fixed!

Not sure if they are related but I have had this problem quite a few times back on Windows Vista as well. Updates would fail with no apparent reason on a completely clean install. It wouldn't go to the point where my system didn't boot anymore but in some cases reinstalling Windows again was the only solution.

Windows Update on Vista always has been a bit problematic for me when installing large amounts of updates (after a clean install for example). :/ Hopefully things will turn out better with Windows 7. :)

That said, I agree with you that you can't expect perfect behaviour from a leaked non-official build.

If it's happening on official builds, especially Windows Vista, then there must be a problem somewhere. I've never experienced it. Windows Update has always worked perfectly for me, but I'll take your word for it :)

My issue is, that is occured with thew RC build as well. What is even more frustrating is "startup repair" is useless. System Restore won't roll back the dodgy driver. I don't have high hopes for it to be fixed!

Yes, this issue looks familiar :wacko:

Interestingly enough, I started a thread about my identical problem on a TechNet forum. Nobody's been able to give any kind of answer, but there's been at least one other report in the past 24 hours. Wonder if this is what Larry Osterman refers to as a "recall-level" bug?

For the record, I think my issue was related to a SATA driver; when I installed Win7 on an ATA drive on the same system, the behavior stopped.

Did you try using the /bootrec in the command line to rebuild the master boot record?

/bootrec help = tells you the options

/bootrec fixmbr

/bootrec fixboot

I am pretty sure those are the commands, it's been awhile since I've had to use them. There's also one to find available OS to add.

If it's happening on official builds, especially Windows Vista, then there must be a problem somewhere. I've never experienced it. Windows Update has always worked perfectly for me, but I'll take your word for it :)

Actually I'll confirm I had this problem with vista as well and hated it. If windows update got messed up sometimes following the error codes and suggestions to fix it wouldn't work. The only thing to do was reinstall. I found out however that the best bet was once updates automatically started downloading DO NOT REBOOT. let them all finish and install. Opening the WU control panel and then picking updates will make them download a bit faster, anyway you just have to be patient and on the first boot get it all done in one swoop without interrupting it or it destroys windows update and you will not get updates (at least in my case) from WU/AU.

Thought it was only me having that issue. Hopefully 7 does resolve that.

We are close, but have not yet signed off on Windows 7. When we RTM you will most certainly hear it here. As we?ve said all along, we will RTM Windows 7 when it?s ready. As previously stated, we expect Windows 7 to RTM in the 2nd half of July.

@ Andrew, I'm assuming that's from the Windows Team Blog? If so, that was posted a week ago, so could easily be out of date.

7600.16385 is NOT rtm.

Wzor is reporting bull****...

It is rtm when microsoft announce it on the official windows 7 blog.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/default.aspx

16385 is just a pre rtm like 16384.

That blog entry just points to 16385 making sense as the actual RTM. MS said they were close and 5 days later Wzor reported it as being voted RTM, this would make sense if MS said they are very close right? It doesn't disprove anything about Wzor's information, whether you believe it or not.

So how on earth do you know that it is not RTM or that they are reporting bull****? They are much more likely to know the truth than you with an outdated link. In any case it is still unconfirmed.

Now when MS do announce the RTM, will they actually give any build string? They didn't with Vista from what I can find, so I doubt they will now. If that is the case how will an announcement help us? We'll have to wait another week or two (from that same source) for it to hit technet/connect, so it might not even be on the 24th unless "Gold" partners get it significantly earlier.

Now when MS do announce the RTM, will they actually give any build string? They didn't with Vista from what I can find, so I doubt they will now. If that is the case how will an announcement help us? We'll have to wait another week or two (from that same source) for it to hit technet/connect, so it might not even be on the 24th unless "Gold" partners get it significantly earlier.

You, dear sir, have made a very good point. The Windows 7 team is not going confirm that 16385 is signed off. It would be very nice if someone at Microsoft did though.

This forum has members that either work at MS or have close ties. Maybe we could coax one of them to verify for us. It's just a thought. :)

Is anyone as sad as me and has http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/default.aspx as their homepage??

Well I've bookmarked it, but the same thing went through my head. :(

This forum has members that either work at MS or have close ties. Maybe we could coax one of them to verify for us. It's just a thought. :)

Ye that's all we can hope for, but we'll most likely first get a slew of "confirmed rtm" builds/posts which will make it even harder for me to wait until it hits Connect.

You, dear sir, have made a very good point. The Windows 7 team is not going confirm that 16385 is signed off. It would be very nice if someone at Microsoft did though.

I'll laugh if no one verifies the RTM until after the real deal is out and turns out it's not 16385.