[OSx86] My successful hackintosh install

Very interesting. I might be interested in trying this. Does anyone know if this would work by chance in a Virtual Machine like Virtual PC?

Thanks,

Congrats on your build, you'll enjoy it! ;)

If you're not going to play games, you could try windows in vmware, since the 4gb ram would help a lot and save you from rebooting all the time.

id have to dual boot to be able to sync and flash custom roms to my winmo ppc. thats the only downfall. i also own a 9800gt, i wonder if it would work ok or not? also as far as printers would hp be supported? i hate insanleymac, they never answer your questions!

My HP PSC1310 needed a driver to work, and the scanner and copier need a special software for them to work not just the driver, unlike in windows where all 3 would work out of the box.

My HP PSC1310 needed a driver to work, and the scanner and copier need a special software for them to work not just the driver, unlike in windows where all 3 would work out of the box.

Drivers are on the web for that model. Are you saying that after installing the drivers the scanner doesn't work? Hmmm also why does the copier need software on the PC/Mac to run ... should just copy and print standalone .. no? :huh:

Most of the HP AiOs, at least from the last few years have software for OS X available. Although printing duplex is a right PITA with some of them the way the GUI of the print preferences are laid out (HP problem ... not Apple)

I do post some questions which went unanswered at insanelymac anyway i installed OSX many times but now running windows 7.

got a question here, i am using linksys WUSB54G usb network adapter do you think this will work out of box if i install OSX or need drivers for it??

thanks

I do post some questions which went unanswered at insanelymac anyway i installed OSX many times but now running windows 7.

got a question here, i am using linksys WUSB54G usb network adapter do you think this will work out of box if i install OSX or need drivers for it??

thanks

Apparently it does work.

Fun :) Thanks for sharing. You mentioned having to use a program to edit the 'About this Mac' screen; what does it show by default then?

I've been running my OSX86 setup for about a year and a half (no dual boot), and when I had my macbook pro, there was nothing it could do that my OSX86 computer can't.

@Rob: For me the about this mac screen was fine.

If you're not going to play games, you could try windows in vmware, since the 4gb ram would help a lot and save you from rebooting all the time.

That's a good idea! I might just do that.

arent u gonna show us your work-hack-station? :p

Sure thing. I made this desk myself by buying the individual pieces at Ikea. It's 2 metres long, so at one end I have my computer and at the other end, beneath the window, is where I do all my sketches and stuff. It works perfectly for me.

post-18827-1248301608_thumb.jpg

Fun :) Thanks for sharing. You mentioned having to use a program to edit the 'About this Mac' screen; what does it show by default then?

Mine said something along the lines of "unknown processor". Can't remember what it said about the RAM. The system utility picks everything up perfectly so I'm not sure why "about this mac" didn't.

Just for gloating rights I decided to run geekbench to see how my hackintosh would stack up against genuine macs:-

Genuine iMacs (2009):-

post-18827-1248306331.png

My Hackintosh:-

post-18827-1248306339.png

So it's slightly faster than the best iMac currently on the market via the Apple Store. It costs $A3,699 for the iMac in Australia, so I saved roughly $A2,500 doing it myself!

i'm running Leopard on my GA P5QL Pro.. only problems i had were wifi, i tried 3 cards, eventually gave up and hooked a cable up.

I also dont have full shutdown, fans and lights stay on so i have to turn it off manually, anyone know how to fix this?

i'm running Leopard on my GA P5QL Pro.. only problems i had were wifi, i tried 3 cards, eventually gave up and hooked a cable up.

I also dont have full shutdown, fans and lights stay on so i have to turn it off manually, anyone know how to fix this?

For your wireless try the Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 802.11n USB Wifi adapter or the EDIMAX EW-7727In 802.11n Wifi PCI adapter . If you go for the EDIMAX because it's PCI then you'll need to install a driver for it from here.

You can download a shutdown fix that might work for you - here.

Just for gloating rights I decided to run geekbench to see how my hackintosh would stack up against genuine macs:-

Genuine iMacs (2009):-

My Hackintosh:-

So it's slightly faster than the best iMac currently on the market via the Apple Store. It costs $A3,699 for the iMac in Australia, so I saved roughly $A2,500 doing it myself!

What benchmark app is that?

i have also successfully installed osx86 10.5.7 on my pc. everything works great "out of the box" no BIG TIME tweaks needed! i LOVE osx so far must faster than windows.

i have also successfully installed osx86 10.5.7 on my pc. everything works great "out of the box" no BIG TIME tweaks needed! i LOVE osx so far must faster than windows.

Good morning! (if you're in GMT+10). Did you just do that over the last few days? That's awesome. What's the specs?

I'm liking OSX, but not as much as the Win7 beta I was using. There's a couple of features like "snap to" in Win7 that I miss, and messenger for mac is archaic. But it looks nice and certainly gets the job done!

Got Leopard installed last night, running very nicely. n_n Now all Apple needs to do is make it so we don't have to jump through hoops to get it installed on regular PCs and I'd never touch Windows again, I haven't since I installed it, my Vista partition is collecting dust.

Yep I installed from an IDE drive too. I had Leopard on here as a dual-boot for a while. With some persuasion everything worked bar sound (SBLive) so I obviously didn't spend much quality time in Leopard. That's one of the main reasons it's gone now.