[OSx86] My successful hackintosh install

Is there any way to know which hardware will work before actually installing? Any compatibility checker software or list out there?

I have a HP dv6846tx laptop and would like to try the OS out. But read conflicting reports about USB ports, wireless adapters and graphics card not working.

Is there any way to know which hardware will work before actually installing? Any compatibility checker software or list out there?

I have a HP dv6846tx laptop and would like to try the OS out. But read conflicting reports about USB ports, wireless adapters and graphics card not working.

WiFi is a tricky one for a lot of people. personally for me i've never seen it work... but it can work.

google: OSX86 wiki - has a half confirmed compatibility list.

or googling: <hardware name> OSX86 - usually brings up a list of topics/posts/info regarding that device.

I'm looking at what graphics card to add... Features I would like:

> Fast

> Dual display

> Quiet-ish

> 100% compatibility

< No need for things such as SLI

< No need for HDMI

hope this helps you - http://www.insanelymac.com/osx86db/

Got mine installed, However it OSX doesn't like my 1950XTX, the fan stays on Full speed as soon as it boots :( may have to either get a new card or change the fan

1) Does it report 2.66 in the BIOS? The About This Mac screen almost always shows incorrect info on OSX86 installs.

4) Sleep mode? Hardly works on any Hackintoshes....

Sleep, Restart and shutdown works... But im having issues like the pioneer dvd writer SATA 20x will forced eject itself out when pressing F12 or the eject button.. Any idea how to solve this issue... for the time being using windows 7...

thanks

So it ejects when you press eject? F12 is eject on a mac keyboard. This is by design?

Yes. F12 when pressed for few seconds will eject the DVD/CD drive but when pressed instantly will show dashboard unless you disabled it.

I am using non-apple USB keyboard, A4TECH.

What really bothers me is that when pressing the eject button or the F12 to eject the DVD drive, it will force eject the drive and i can't push it back, what i need to do is to shutdown, only then i will be able to push the DVD drive tray.... very annoying... well this is the little inconvenience i got to put up with, when using hackintosh...

If you know of any work around please do let me know...

Thanks

Regards,

well after two weeks im still running my osx86 install. i even was able to upgrade to 10.5.8 with zero issues. but now that i .... cough...have the windows 7 rtm...cough it's bye bye for osx! :D

An odd question for everyone who got their OS X running almost perfectly. How is it like using OS X 100% of your time? Can you do anything you want or used to do in windows?

An odd question for everyone who got their OS X running almost perfectly. How is it like using OS X 100% of your time? Can you do anything you want or used to do in windows?

for the most part, there are alot you cant do either compared to windows. i missed alot of the free apps for windows, most osx programs you have to pay for, that's a huge turn off for me. also i have a winmo ppc and i cant sync or flash roms unless im in windows. that's one reason i dumped osx for 7 rtm this morning!

It runs extremely fast and stable for me, and I can run all updates without any worries. I'm actually more productive on it than I was on my Windows PC just because the software I use works faster on a Mac. I can pretty much do everything I did on the PC:-

Adobe creative suite

Microsoft Office

iTunes

Scanning to PDF

Burning CDs, DVDs, ISOs

Converting FLAC to Apple Lossless

Bittorrent

FTP

HTML coding

Chat

Burn lightscribe discs

Organise, tag and edit my photos

Play videos of pretty much any format

Download youtube videos

I can also use dropbox to access files remotely for free

These days there's a program for anything. And if you're not sure what you're looking for a google of "mac alternative for XXXX" usually brings up results. For the very odd piece of windows software that isn't available you can install Crossover and run them on the mac.

The Only thing i i cant do on OSX that i can do on windows is Play Games other then that i use osx 95% of the time and when i do need to run a windows app that is not cpu intensive i do it in VmWare.

jsut a qiuck question, is it better to use the retail disk, and install or use something like, <snipped>?

Edited by Colin-uk

jsut a qiuck question, is it better to use the retail disk, and install or use something like, <snipped>

i used a custom disk. I just re did mine, working perfect.

Core 2 Duo e6400 @ 3.0ghz

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L

3 Hard Drives around 1TB (all sata)

1 LG Bluray/HD DVD combo Drive (sata)

1 LG DVD Burner (IDE)

XFX 8800GT (works great in OSX, games play great in OSX now)

Atheros WiFI card (actually a D-Link)

Got Drivers for everything, everything works except it takes YEARS to convert a song in itunes, dunno why. And I restored the OS from my macbook hard drive, works great. Except can't sync my iPhone :s. Guess i gotta wait until my laptop gets back from repair.

Wished my x-fi worked though (never going to happen)

Edited by Colin-uk

*yawn* Tired! Not bored..

I want to build a machine, I've had Macs since 2001 and have gotten into building withdrawl! So far, my temptation is to build an i7 box inside a zalman case (ugh, so expensive). Unfortunately adding up the numbers.. WOW!

LOL. In the end it might run Win7 too! I dunno, I *really* love the BSD backend and have gotten used to the style of doing things to the point I might never get used to Windows again.... but it'd be a ball of fun!

I'm looking at what graphics card to add... Features I would like:

> Fast

> Dual display

> Quiet-ish

> 100% compatibility

< No need for things such as SLI

< No need for HDMI

My 8600gt might not qualify as "fast" but it excels at the other things you asked for (I have a fanless heat sink)

There is a 10.5.6 VM image that run on allot of different configurations. I use it on 3 different machines, (I have 3 real licenses for Mac OSx).

So it's slightly faster than the best iMac currently on the market via the Apple Store. It costs $A3,699 for the iMac in Australia, so I saved roughly $A2,500 doing it myself!

Ding.

Hit the nail on the head about why canny folk wont buy apple kit. Overpriced and doesn't do anything a self build or any other PC can't...in some cases it does less.

There's really nothing to getting your own Hackintosh up and running. I just used the Retail Leopard Disc and Boot132/Chameleon to get up and running within an hour. The trick is knowing which KEXTs to use in the /Extra/Extensions, or rather how to modify/augment the same based on your sys specs. Although I must admit, I did use very Vanilla compatible components. (GA 965p-DS4, E6600 OC'd to 3.6GHz, S-ATA devices in AHCI mode, 7600GT with EFI strings)