[OSx86] My successful hackintosh install

i have also successfully installed osx86 10.5.7 on my pc. everything works great "out of the box" no BIG TIME tweaks needed! i LOVE osx so far must faster than windows.

whats your hardware specs like?

Do any one knew whether my Compaq presario v3700 is capable of installing Mac OS? ;-)

Also...Why there isnt an option to Install leopard in a virtual machine? (VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC)?

I think a VMWare install is possible. The hardware emulated by VPC is probably too obsolete to run Leopard. For one thing, you need accelerated graphics that a S3 Trio wouldn't have.

IDE won't work? I installed it with an IDE DVD drive on to an IDE HDD.

I told him that lol :blush: Apparently it won't work if you have a JMicron chip in your motherboard, as that Jmicron chip is the one that processes the IDE transfers instead of Intel (AFAIK Intel dropped IDE support as of ICH8). As most Gigabyte boards have that Jmicron chip (the purple ports), I assumed it wasn't going to work for him. But it may actually work after all :laugh:

I plan to use EFI-X to get a hackintosh working :D I currently have 10.5.7 on my older Toshiba Equium laptop :) Actually working okay still.

Had to do a reinstall to fix a few issues, like sound and PS/2 keyboard and driver support, now it's running 100%, and I'm hack to watching 720P video. MUCH faster than Windows.

Had to do a reinstall to fix a few issues, like sound and PS/2 keyboard and driver support, now it's running 100%, and I'm hack to watching 720P video. MUCH faster than Windows.

i wouldn't say it runs faster, it runs about the same as Windows 7. I just finished doing a hackintosh install, luckily my motherboard was 100% compatible (gigabyte p35-ds3l) and it was awesome. Except OSX won't read NTFS dynamic disks so i had to go back to windows (N) because all of my data is on those disks. One day i'll go back to a hackintosh, but for now i'll stick with my macbook.

i wouldn't say it runs faster, it runs about the same as Windows 7. I just finished doing a hackintosh install, luckily my motherboard was 100% compatible (gigabyte p35-ds3l) and it was awesome. Except OSX won't read NTFS dynamic disks so i had to go back to windows (N) because all of my data is on those disks. One day i'll go back to a hackintosh, but for now i'll stick with my macbook.

Really? I can read my Windows partition from within OSX. I just installed a driver and it saw my NTFS partition just fine. Read and write.

Really? I can read my Windows partition from within OSX. I just installed a driver and it saw my NTFS partition just fine. Read and write.

Unless you install a third party KEXT, you won't be able to write to NTFS drives.

i know that, NTFS-3g and paragon can do it, except it does not support DYNAMIC drives at all

i know that, NTFS-3g and paragon can do it, except it does not support DYNAMIC drives at all

Oh, I see.

On a side note...

I just did a fresh install of 10.5.7 on my new OCZ SSD drive and OMFG (this is on my Hackintosh)

A score of 259 on Xbench!!!!!!!1111 :woot: :woot: Not too shabby considering a Mac Pro has an average score of 161! *drools*

post-102022-1248579584_thumb.jpg

A score of 259 on Xbench!!!!!!!1111 :woot: :woot: Not too shabby considering a Mac Pro has an average score of 161! *drools*

My baseline 2.66 GHz Mac Pro got around 220 which was mainly due to the 7200 rpm hard disk, so let's not exaggerate. ;) Most other things actually got higher scores than your computer.

Edited by .Neo

I told him that lol :blush: Apparently it won't work if you have a JMicron chip in your motherboard, as that Jmicron chip is the one that processes the IDE transfers instead of Intel (AFAIK Intel dropped IDE support as of ICH8). As most Gigabyte boards have that Jmicron chip (the purple ports), I assumed it wasn't going to work for him. But it may actually work after all :laugh:

From what I can see my Board has an ICH10 chip3, (Gigabyte EP43-DS3)

Here is my Geekbench

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3.00GHz

Gigabyte G31m S2L Motherboard

nVidia 9600GT 512mb

Kingston 4Gb RAM DDR2

so this is nothing revolutionary but everything works on it & it still gets the work done :)

post-272510-1248599680_thumb.png

Apparently it won't work if you have a JMicron chip in your motherboard, as that Jmicron chip is the one that processes the IDE transfers instead of Intel (AFAIK Intel dropped IDE support as of ICH8). As most Gigabyte boards have that Jmicron chip (the purple ports), I assumed it wasn't going to work for him. But it may actually work after all :laugh:

JMicron IDE was fixed long ago. I have it on my GA-965P-S3 and installed Leopard fine. Don't rely 100% on HCLs or wikis. They often can't keep up with the advances made in Hackintoshville.

How do you install general updates? Run Update Software? Or are the updates like the iPhone dept where you have to wait for someone to release the customised patch?

How do you install general updates? Run Update Software? Or are the updates like the iPhone dept where you have to wait for someone to release the customised patch?

My laptop has never failed to update to new versions. I have updated all the way to 10.5.7 without any problems. I'm not sure but I think it depends on your system and the components in there, also what 'distribution' you used to install.

I had osx running great on my setup before also. It was alot of fun, and looked great. Was extremely simple by getting the right setup from insanelymac.

Only reason I do not use it anymore is honestly because of gaming.. I found myself going by to my windows partition way to much to play games. Also, Windows 7 beta came out and I had to play with it. :)

Also...Why there isnt an option to Install leopard in a virtual machine? (VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC)?

It works perfectly in VMWare workstation, it's how I use it. There's even a hidden config option to make VMware recognise it as "Darwin"

I haven't bothered installing it barebones on my main PC, as it would drive me crazy making everything work perfectly. I installed it on two laptops and nearly went insane with one of them :p When I use it, I really really miss the new Windows 7 "snap to" features, but then that's the same when using the XP PC's at work