[OSx86] My successful hackintosh install

It runs extremely fast and stable for me, and I can run all updates without any worries. I'm actually more productive on it than I was on my Windows PC just because the software I use works faster on a Mac. I can pretty much do everything I did on the PC:-

Adobe creative suite

Microsoft Office

iTunes

Scanning to PDF

Burning CDs, DVDs, ISOs

Converting FLAC to Apple Lossless

Bittorrent

FTP

HTML coding

Chat

Burn lightscribe discs

Organise, tag and edit my photos

Play videos of pretty much any format

Download youtube videos

I can also use dropbox to access files remotely for free

These days there's a program for anything. And if you're not sure what you're looking for a google of "mac alternative for XXXX" usually brings up results. For the very odd piece of windows software that isn't available you can install Crossover and run them on the mac.

lol you can chat faster? i wasn't aware.

It runs extremely fast and stable for me, and I can run all updates without any worries. I'm actually more productive on it than I was on my Windows PC just because the software I use works faster on a Mac. I can pretty much do everything I did on the PC:-

Adobe creative suite

Microsoft Office

iTunes

Scanning to PDF

Burning CDs, DVDs, ISOs

Converting FLAC to Apple Lossless

Bittorrent

FTP

HTML coding

Chat

Burn lightscribe discs

Organise, tag and edit my photos

Play videos of pretty much any format

Download youtube videos

I can also use dropbox to access files remotely for free

These days there's a program for anything. And if you're not sure what you're looking for a google of "mac alternative for XXXX" usually brings up results. For the very odd piece of windows software that isn't available you can install Crossover and run them on the mac.

lol you can chat faster? i wasn't aware.

I had 10.5.7 up and running pretty well the other day, and I couldn't get Quartz Extreme to work with my 8800GT. I tried a KText that was in the OSXTools that seemed to be for my problem, and it ended up pwning my setup. Now it doesn't boot anymore. Probably faster to reinstall than to troubleshoot. I need to find a good way to image my Mac OS X partition so that I have a backup before doing something like that.

NVDarwin drivers seem to work quite well for the 8800GT, with Quartz enabled. I was running a custom flavour on an AMD system with the G92 8800GT. Only issues I had were the lagging mouse issue and only 10mbit ethernet.

Edited by O.G

I had 10.5.7 up and running pretty well the other day, and I couldn't get Quartz Extreme to work with my 8800GT. I tried a KText that was in the OSXTools that seemed to be for my problem, and it ended up pwning my setup. Now it doesn't boot anymore. Probably faster to reinstall than to troubleshoot. I need to find a good way to image my Mac OS X partition so that I have a backup before doing something like that.

If you find good imaging software please share. I think that's a great idea! Takes away all the worries about bricking your machine.

I'm trying to get one going. I tried on the computers at school and I could not connect to the internet. I could connect to machines on the LAN and got an IP from the DHCP but I couldn't connect.

I agree, it was really easy! It's amazing how:

- It detected my PCI Wi-Fi as an AIRPORT EXTREME CARD OUT OF THE BOX! This did not happen with Leopard.

- Sound driver was really easy to install.

- 64-bit kernel WORKS (but then one specific app is still unsupported - I run my kernel 32-bit, but everything else 64-bit)

- Performance is ridiculously fast, about 50 times faster than my white Macbook.

etc. etc.

Really impressed with it.

Funny how it's detected as an iMac, and the memory is listed as 667Mhz (it's 800), but I don't care, it's only cosmetic. :laugh:

Hellooooooo Snowie :cool:

post-102022-1251531908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pharos

Yeah i made it work too, but since its a horrible OS it was not worth the GB space it took ^^

Haha, I have to say Snow Leopard is a fine OS, but I find that Windows 7 makes me more productive.

I think I just can't live without Aero Snap anymore, it's just so useful and practical to me. Also I can close minimized windows on the fly without having to open them, can't do that in OS X.

For example, you minimize a Safari window, and then you decide you have no use for it anymore. If you right-click it, only "Open" shows up. Why can't you close without having to reopen it? Being able to close windows when using Expose view would also be wonderful... Little things like this add up and it makes me switch back to Windows all the time :pinch:

Trying out a Snow Leopard DVD I found for PCs today...Leopard works perfectly on my Dell Studio 540, maybe this will work too?

Has anyone had any luck with using Leopard kexts on Snow Leopard? For example, I can't find an AppleSMBIOS from netkas or an APIC driver. Didn't reboot to try yet, but maybe it'll work without those.