Apple: 'Windows 7 is antiquated technology'

Yes, a small business can run it's IT leg without Windows, but an enterprise shop, sorry no. As ZX2 said, when you need more than "also ran" software, most best of breed apps for IT are Windows products. And even if you ignore all othe software Active Directory is so feature rich that for a medium to large shop, you would be crazy not to use it.

No, it really isn't. A lot of stuff has been improved in Windows 7, it is superior to Vista in almost every way,

+1. I thought Vista was a darn fine OS; quite an improvement over XP. But for the last four months or so, I've been using Win7 RC x64 as my sole OS and it has made Vista a distant memory (and XP might as well be a long forgotten memory at this point). The Release Candidate build of Windows 7 is the best OS I've ever used by far, and I've used every OS Microsoft has put out since Windows 95 as well as various versions of Linux and OSX. I can't wait for my RTM copy of Win7 Pro to get here. :D

OSX nor LInux can run the helpdesk or call management software I have to at my job.

Oh, I'm also in the IT field.

Having the same "type of apps" is a LOT different then having "the best app for the job" which in many(not all) cases Windows.

Lets also not forget that once Microsoft sold a UNIX distro, before they created Windows.

So technically Microsoft has "been there done that" with Unix long before OS X was released.

I can agree on a business level that Apple are behind, we use call management stuff as well but we have a Windows Boxes we RDP into for that as using Windows or SSH and multitasking/network troubleshooting is horrible.

Basically it comes down to most businesses using Windows and thats why they will have that type of software available.

Its what OS works best for you I guess.

+1. I thought Vista was a darn fine OS; quite an improvement over XP. But for the last four months or so, I've been using Win7 RC x64 as my sole OS and it has made Vista a distant memory (and XP might as well be a long forgotten memory at this point). The Release Candidate build of Windows 7 is the best OS I've ever used by far, and I've used every OS Microsoft has put out since Windows 95 as well as various versions of Linux and OSX. I can't wait for my RTM copy of Win7 Pro to get here. :D

Yeah your right its so superior! LOL

It's been available for what, 2 days, and this dude says it's giving everyone headaches? ROFL!

Ya, they're definitely scared.

Oh and btw, every Mac user I've ever met has problems with his/her mac, so they really have zero room to talk.

Do you work in IT... Most businesses work on the basis of:

-Does it work for us

-Cost

-Time

-Training

-etc

-etc

If Windows XP works for the business then why would you fix something thats not broken, why would you outlay more money for issues that might be caused by the upgrade, how long is it going to take for people to be trained for the new OS as not everyone is as computer savvy as you or me.

Any smart business also consider is an OS still supported and how much longer will it be supported. Is it the most secure option and how expsensive will it be to secure an older version.

In one sentence you say nothing has really changed and in the next you say everyone has to be retrained? Pick one.

Any smart business also consider is an OS still supported and how much longer will it be supported. Is it the most secure option and how expsensive will it be to secure an older version.

In one sentence you say nothing has really changed and in the next you say everyone has to be retrained? Pick one.

:o

Well then they won't need to be retrained will they? But its something the business would need to look at each time there is an upgrade in anything is what I'm saying.

Lets just see how many people run Windows 7 I'm guess no1 will upgrade their company any time soon, and support for XP will continue because of this.

Do you work in IT... Most businesses work on the basis of:

-Does it work for us

-Cost

-Time

-Training

-etc

-etc

If Windows XP works for the business then why would you fix something thats not broken, why would you outlay more money for issues that might be caused by the upgrade, how long is it going to take for people to be trained for the new OS as not everyone is as computer savvy as you or me.

My company (over 40,000) plans to be fully migrated by end of 2010.

I never reply to these types of threads.. but Apple is smoking crack.

Anyone look outside and see that the economy is in the ******?

Who will be the big winner? NETBOOKS... not mac

:o

Well then they won't need to be retrained will they? But its something the business would need to look at each time there is an upgrade in anything is what I'm saying.

Lets just see how many people run Windows 7 I'm guess no1 will upgrade their company any time soon, and support for XP will continue because of this.

Well considering I work for a Fortune 100 company and we are already in phase II testing and we have 40,000 desktops I'd say it's worth considering XP won't be around forever. What I'm hearing from you is the same thing I heard from many complacent admins during the move from 2000 to XP, and they all seemed suprised when XP took over rather quickly.

Sounds like you work in a small shop where you get to pick and choose what you use based on personal preference and that is great, but you don't repesent the medium to large enterprise, nor most home users for that matter.

The only "Windows headaches" are the ones Apple is feeling because of Microsoft's success. It is quite amusing to see how much attention they are giving it... way more than their own product offering.

Can't say I blame them.

I agree... "Get a Mac" has taught me so much about the features in Vista... Shadow Copies, UAC, Aero Glass, etc. And yet their commercial have told me almost nothing about Mac OS X.

The other thing that annoys me greatly about Apple is how fickle they are.

Back in the 80s, IBM was the enemy. But then during the 90s, Apple realized they needed IBM and started to work with them on the PowerPC. Then Microsoft became the enemy. Then they weren't after Microsoft invested $150 million in Apple. Then they became the enemy again. Except they're not when Apple realizes they need Microsoft for things like Office, ActiveSync, etc.

I hate their corporate attitude, but at least they make nice products.

Well considering I work for a Fortune 100 company and we are already in phase II testing and we have 40,000 desktops I'd say it's worth considering XP won't be around forever. What I'm hearing from you is the same thing I heard from many complacent admins during the move from 2000 to XP, and they all seemed suprised when XP took over rather quickly.

Sounds like you work in a small shop where you get to pick and choose what you use based on personal preference and that is great, but you don't repesent the medium to large enterprise, nor most home users for that matter.

Small uuuuummm nooo definitely not a small company.

The other thing that annoys me greatly about Apple is how fickle they are.

Back in the 80s, IBM was the enemy. But then during the 90s, Apple realized they needed IBM and started to work with them on the PowerPC. Then Microsoft became the enemy. Then they weren't after Microsoft invested $150 million in Apple. Then they became the enemy again. Except they're not when Apple realizes they need Microsoft for things like Office, ActiveSync, etc.

I hate their corporate attitude, but at least they make nice products.

I don't think they care to be honest, its all marketing and hype, it brings money to both companies as they both invest in each other.

The fact we are all talking about it like this puts a smile on their faces I'm sure.

What's funny is that he mentions that you can't easily upgrade Windows 7 on your computer with previous Windows.

When did Snow Leopard do that flawlessly? It's a freakin' disaster. I have a Mac Pro (fully packed) and an i7 machine. Updating to Snow Leopard was probably the most horrible experience I've had in my 20+ years of computing. Everything crashed and got screwed up. To the point I had to finally do a fresh install thinking everything would be great and even with fresh install Snow Leopard was a disaster.

Public perception is changing and Apple will end up hurting themselves with this type of nonsense and smear campaign.

They are indeed very scared. The reviews about Windows 7 are incredible from every public media source and this is what scares them. They just don't have anything anymore to highlight on OSX.

As for some people, I've used my Mac Pro as a primary machine in work for over a year, my productivity was cut in half. From idiotic things like not being able to sort file structures by folders alone was an incredible time waster. Window and app management in OSX is simply ridiculous. Who came up with it must be shot. It has to the be the same person who thought of one button mouse and these are just tip of the iceberg. From applications to crashes and 5 times reinstalls not to mention awful support for FAT32 and NTFS drives (OSX screwed up more than one of my drives) and overall networking. The fact that you have to make tons of clicks to do something very simple not to mention the fact that I have to always think about ejecting my external drives cause there is a very high chance it will screw up my data if I don't tells you how awfully OSX is built.

It's a joke.

What's even funnier is that you still have to install and run Windows on your Mac for many reasons. You have to run Microsoft Office on OSX because iWork is so simplistic and incompatible with the rest of the world it's not even funny. I don't know any user who uses their Macs to do work that doesn't use Microsoft Entourage for example as Mail is simply again too simplistic. Let's not get into the fact that you can't even attach the images but it embeds them into your mail or if I use Mail and get attachments from other computers I can't see attachments or some stuff is missing when I open it with Pages.

I mean it's a disaster. When I got back to Windows Vista/7 on i7 not only that my machine started screaming my productivity got boosted up and I could not only find a ton of apps that I simply didn't have on OSX but I actually didn't have the need to dual boot to do some mundane things.

Windows 7 has been an amazing experience so far and I'm super happy about Security Essentials as that completes the security step and now it's just perfect.

More

Yep, they are scared.

Antiquated? Didn't Microsoft just update the codebase with Vista?

Also, before yesterday the public didn't even have access to Se7en. How does he know they are frustrated?

He's speaking out his @$$ IMO.... Typical Apple. Smug superiority only goes so far....

Antiquated? Didn't Microsoft just update the codebase with Vista?

Also, before yesterday the public didn't even have access to Se7en. How does he know they are frustrated?

He's speaking out his @$$ IMO.... Typical Apple. Smug superiority only goes so far....

This is how Apple operates, circa WWDC 2009:

"Windows 7 is terrible because it's just an improved version of Vista."

"Mac OS X Snow Leopard is the greatest OS in the world because it's an improved version of Leopard."

"Windows 7 is antiquated technology because it's built on top of Vista's kernel."

"Mac OS X Snow Leopard is the greatest OS in the world because it's built on top of 40-year-old Unix technology."

I love reading apple stuff. It just makes me laugh. It doesn't even bother me, the fact that he is clearing talking out of his arse. He's got jokes.

Wow, what an absurd statement by Apple... I particularly liked the comment about bundles software. I can't wait for Apple to get hit with an anti-competition ruling one day... ;)

Wow, what an absurd statement by Apple... I particularly liked the comment about bundles software. I can't wait for Apple to get hit with an anti-competition ruling one day... ;)

That would assume they'll have majority of marketshare which is pretty laughable thought.

- Hi, I'm a PC.

- Hi, I'm a sleek cool Mac.

- Well, I get work done.

- I don't need to get work done as I can do cool stuff that is artsy and much better computing experience.

-Well, I have a bigger market share.

- um, Mac sales are up. Mac don't need a bigger market share as we have an elite community.

- define elite.

- well um, Mac owners feel and believe their membership in the Mac community is better than simply owning a PC.

- Is it because they spent three to four times as much for hardware and software than the average PC user for performance that doesn't even match up?

- No, Mac owners know their Macs are better than PCs.

- How do they know this?

- We tell them when they make a purchase.

If I ever would have considered buying a Mac or allowing any of my intermediate family to buy a Mac, I would seriously reconsider given their current campaign strategy. Every person who asks me about those ads, I tell them it is a desperate company searching for hopeful market share. The only thing they do OKAY is the iPod. See, that's my opinion and that's because I'm a PC. I give them no other props.