Neowin Digital Gallery

^Yes I was about to mention that the light was rather harsh

@moonman, I like your last set of photos, particularly the first and last one (which I already commented on Flickr).

Now, on to some pics:

4120222302_ee1090531f.jpg

4122593439_11d8a1d0f1.jpg

When shooting landscapes, shoot at the smallest aperture possible. Aperture of f/5.0 is usually way too large for that kind of stuff, hence the lack of DOF. You need at least f/16 or f/11 if you have something very close to you on the foreground. Don't go too small or you will start getting diffraction. If you shoot something far away then f/7.1 up to f/11 is more than enough.

For the shot above I would have stood a bit higher and pointed the camera somewhat downwards.

another one of mine :)

<snipped>

comments please :)

I agree with Andre that it would have been good to lift the camera up a bit, also, there seems to be too much space covered by the grass and not enough sky (IMO), as always, make sure to take a bunch of shots and pick the one that you like best.

The DOF recommendation by Andre is also valid, just don't stop it down too much or you might start getting some lens diffraction. What lens are you shooting with? Tip: know it's sweet spot.

EDIT: just saw you're using a P&S, if it has no manual mode to set the aperture then try using a landscape (or similar) setting to make it use a stepped-down aperture.

It was all there. Had to pull the detail out of the file in ACR, as you can tell it's shot in to the sun, so the foreground exposure vs sky exposure is just...screwed. It's not HDR, it's not tonemapped or any of that crap, and I haven't put anything in that's not there. But yeah, it does look a bit surreal :p

my first night shot.. just got my DSLR today!

2up4arm.jpg

I resized it though.. let me what you guys think! (all handheld.. too broke to has tripod)

Argote: All three look really well composed! Would perhaps like to see some more detail on the bird in the second picture, but that's the only niggle... well done

Argote: All three look really well composed! Would perhaps like to see some more detail on the bird in the second picture, but that's the only niggle... well done

I would actually prefer to see the reverse on the bird - a wee bit of a tweak with the blacks etc in lightroom and make that baby a pure silhouette, no?

cheers for the comments on my last pic.. thing is i still have yet to learn the techincal points of photography (aperature etc). intstead i just fiddle about till i think it feels right... here's some more :)

photo002.jpg

photo019.jpg

Alas, months end doth near.

Before the advent of, well...advent :blink: here are the last images I shall take this 30-dayeth.

Took them at work the other day. Actually, I did the grinding (with a Dremel no less!) and had a collegue do the business with the camera. She's a CSI too so I needed to do little to assist in the photography here. Since I only provided the modeling here I decided not to punt this on Flickr however, I may slot this in in my second photobook later next year (or beyond) as it's pretty cool. I did mess around in lightroom though to get more of a colour to the sparks (very white on the originals, not so cool (temperature pun there))

Anyways (previews a bit small, not the best):

sparks01.jpg

sparks02.jpg

which is the better?

Malc

I would actually prefer to see the reverse on the bird - a wee bit of a tweak with the blacks etc in lightroom and make that baby a pure silhouette, no?

I did try that but it just seemed a bit lazy to me hehe. I have other shots which I'll put up as the silhouette.