• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New Super Mario Bros Wii

FoXXX    0

Looks good, it's cool that they brought back the classic scroller game :)

nokiaxion    2
Not sure this will get GOTY but it is a sure contender!

Might be GOTY....It is truely amazing :)

Oh...look at that... :huh:

Im going to play this with friends only...this is confusing me now...

Don't worry about that. It is a fun game. You can pretty much just go on your own way. Plus, saving friends when they are in danger is fun :p

BTW the last level in World 8 must be fun as **** with 4 friends....

Is World 9 really worth it? I was thinking of just putting a cheat that gets me all the star coins then pass all the levels in World 9....

Ah and there needs to be a New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2 without a doubt....

Rudy    457
Might be GOTY....It is truely amazing :)

Don't worry about that. It is a fun game. You can pretty much just go on your own way. Plus, saving friends when they are in danger is fun :p

BTW the last level in World 8 must be fun as **** with 4 friends....

Is World 9 really worth it? I was thinking of just putting a cheat that gets me all the star coins then pass all the levels in World 9....

Ah and there needs to be a New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2 without a doubt....

I was actually pretty disappointed, the only thing you get when you finish all 8 stages is a message saying you've completed everything in the game.....

M_Lyons10    454

Wow. I'd heard about this game, but that screen makes me want a Wii... I love the old Mario games, and this looks like a return to that classic gameplay. I want it. LOL

PyX    140

This game is pure goodness. I don't have a Wii, but I played over at my friend's and... all I can say is WOW!

They really put all the best things customers loved in the whole series and they decided to stick those in this game. I'd recommend it to everyone who loved the 2D Mario's. And it's a good way to make young children discover what it was back in the time, a good way also to convince people that going 3D doesn't necessarily mean better. I mean, yeah the game is 3D, but you can move in only 2 directions and it's perfect at it is.

Congrats to the whole team who worked on this project, it's fabulous!

DirtyLarry    2,097

I searched and did not find anything and I was SHOCKED. I just got as my birthday present from my wife, and the only game I got so far is NSMB and honestly it might be all I need. Am I the only person who is loving this game? Is no one playing it because it is on the Wii and no one takes it seriously? Are people just playing it and because it is so damn good have nothing to say about it?

It really is classic Mario in all regards. It is pretty damn impressive to me how they absolutely kept the great gameplay and feel of the original games but did modernize them just a tad for the Wii. I was real worried when I heard there were motion controls, but so far none of them feel outrageous or out of place at all and seem to be done tastefully and well.

The whole 4 player Co Op thing I just can only imagine being fun on the other game modes, the Free Play and Coin Challenge, but trying to do the actual campaign with just my wife is turning out to be quite the challenge so just cannot see it even being possible with 4 people.

I am on World 2-5 I think it is. Still have so, so far to go, but I am absolutely loving it.

So really curious to hear from people playing it.

And apparantly the search is not working, as it is about 10 threads down from this one. LOL I really did search, strange indeed.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=845968

MODS Go ahead and delete or merge or whatever

DirtyLarry    2,097

So this game is amazing, I just started a thread on it as when I searched I did not find this thread and I was shocked there was not a thread, but apparantly there is. :laugh:

So can someone explain to me the whole save thing?? I know you can save after getting through a Castle, but what is up with the whole Quick Save thing? I have not used it yet as none of the verbiage on it is clear at all, I have no clue what it means you can only use it once. Does that mean only one Quick Save an entire Story Mode, or like Once per night? Just would love some clarification there...

But yeah loving it, have one save game going with me and my wife, and then one save game for just me. Awesome game bringing back the good times.

Eric    1,605

Quick Save is for "I've got to go to work... NOW!" :) It bookmarks your game, but if you don't resume the QS when you start playing again it goes away.

[Threads merged]

DirtyLarry    2,097
Quick Save is for "I've got to go to work... NOW!" :) It bookmarks your game, but if you don't resume the QS when you start playing again it goes away.

[Threads merged]

Okay cool, thanks for the response and the merging. (Y)

Creamy    1

I love the game.

But its disappointing that you can't unlock anything.I mean...At least let me play some other character than Mario, Luigi or Toad....

DirtyLarry    2,097
I love the game.

But its disappointing that you can't unlock anything.I mean...At least let me play some other character than Mario, Luigi or Toad....

Yeah I watched one or two of those movies you can unlock with the big coins, and while some were helpful, I would like a little more incentive for collecting the large coins... Other than that though really have no complaints yet.

MR_Candyman    114

It's fun. My friend has it and we and another friend got together and beat the game within an hour. The next time we went on to clear more stages. Not 100% done yet, but it's really got no replay value for me, but I've never really been able to replay mario games except mario 64

nokiaxion    2
I was actually pretty disappointed, the only thing you get when you finish all 8 stages is a message saying you've completed everything in the game.....

Well what did you expect? A gift card? :p

Yeah I watched one or two of those movies you can unlock with the big coins, and while some were helpful, I would like a little more incentive for collecting the large coins... Other than that though really have no complaints yet.

This is what you unlock with the big coins:

World 9

Another thing I missed is "alternate paths": If you finish a level way 1, it gives you the normal path. If you finish a level way 2, it gives you another shortcut path or maybe a path to a mushroom house.

Livin in a box    54

Haha, I'm still on the castle in World 1. I hardly ever play it though.

Rudy    457

I finished everything in a couple days....love it while I was playing it but I wouldn't replay it again

gigapixels    99

The only problem I've found with this game is when you have 2 (or more, though I haven't done more than 2) really good people playing. My friend and I grew up on the original Super Mario Bros. games, and we can play those with our eyes closed. But when we play this together we run into each other and cause problems because we're both thinking the same thing. It's tough getting used to and leads to many deaths :rofl:

Livin in a box    54

I play with my 5 year old brother who's actually pretty good as he's played the DS version to death, but I imagine what it can be like...I don't think the characters should be able to bump into each other. They should just slip past.

gigapixels    99
I play with my 5 year old brother who's actually pretty good as he's played the DS version to death, but I imagine what it can be like...I don't think the characters should be able to bump into each other. They should just slip past.

Yeah, that's the one thing I would change about this game.

Livin in a box    54

That and more things to unlock, and maybe an online co-op mode would have been a good addition too.

nokiaxion    2
Haha, I'm still on the castle in World 1. I hardly ever play it though.

You must suck or simply not like these type of games

I finished everything in a couple days....love it while I was playing it but I wouldn't replay it again

A couple of days? You must have played Mario alot :p

The only problem I've found with this game is when you have 2 (or more, though I haven't done more than 2) really good people playing. My friend and I grew up on the original Super Mario Bros. games, and we can play those with our eyes closed. But when we play this together we run into each other and cause problems because we're both thinking the same thing. It's tough getting used to and leads to many deaths :rofl:

Thats stupid and would make this whole game pointless. Teamwork is the key. You or he tells you or him to jump first then you follow him. Teamwork and communication.

Same thing as above.

Yeah, that's the one thing I would change about this game.

I wouldnt. Would make it alot less fun.

DirtyLarry    2,097
Thats stupid and would make this whole game pointless. Teamwork is the key. You or he tells you or him to jump first then you follow him. Teamwork and communication.

All I will say to this is you have never played with my wife. I tend to be the exploring get all the coins type, while she just likes to plow on and get through the level. And she has played all of the games in the series before, in fact the N64 we have is hers actually. In my solo game I have 41 lives. In our CoOp game I think we both have 8. Both games are only on World 2.

So yeah, way easier said than done. :laugh:

gigapixels    99

Yeah on my own saved game I have 52 lives and on our co-op I have 27 and he has around 18 or something.

I may come around to the teamwork idea at some point, but since we're so used to kicking ass solo it's just taking some time to get used to dealing with each other.

Explore    2

I think i am getting this game for Christmas.

buckboii    3

looks good lol.

Creamy    1

What do you think about this "Vs"-Mode where you collect coins? I've given it a couple of runs but it wasn't really that fun...