• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Zoom7000    148
In my solo game I have 41 lives.
Yeah on my own saved game I have 52 lives and on our co-op I have 27 and he has around 18 or something.

How do you guys manage to get so many lives?

DirtyLarry    2,097

Well my first way was to replay World 1-1 and 1-2 a decent amount of times. Pretty much guaranteed no less than 5 lives if you do the level right on 1-1 and there is a trick on 1-2 to also get lives pretty quick, check out the movie in the castle called Infinite 1-ups for the "pattern" on 1-2. Not sure why they named it that as it is not infinite but you do get at least 4-5 I think in the course of 10-15 seconds.

So basically I am a freak and like to make sure I have a lot of lives, but with that said I also have a bunch just from going through and getting all of the coins, discovering places, etc. I would say half of the ones I have are from going back to 1-1 and 1-2 and the other half come from just playing the game.

c3ntury    133

Playing it now and damn this game is awesome.

Im addicted :D

colealtdelete    18

This game is incredible!

gigapixels    99

No clue, to be honest. I don't die much when I play solo... I think that's the only reason.

spenser.d    1,100

My roommates and I played this game to death for a few weeks after it came out. Now it's ended up like all of the rest of their Wii Games - collecting dust. It was a lot of fun while it lasted though :yes:

-Spenser

Geoffrey B.    1,415

i learned the hard way about quicksave. I did a quicksave when i had done everything and just started World 9 (after getting all the star coins for the other worlds) and did a quick save them my wife started playing and Bam gone. Back to finishing up the levels for the star coins.

Creamy    1
i learned the hard way about quicksave. I did a quicksave when i had done everything and just started World 9 (after getting all the star coins for the other worlds) and did a quick save them my wife started playing and Bam gone. Back to finishing up the levels for the star coins.

Man, I wish I had time to play it all through....I'm excited about World 9! :)

iamawesomewicked    80
I was actually pretty disappointed, the only thing you get when you finish all 8 stages is a message saying you've completed everything in the game.....

To be fair, that's all you got with the other sidescrolling mario games.

Explore    2

Got this game for Christmas.

All i can say is that it's really fun :)

Mainer82    40

The game is extremely fun and it's more difficult then I thought it would be which is great. Love playing this with my wife as well.

PreKe    147

One easy way to gather lives is in world 6, IIRC. A bit into the map you have to pass these cannons shooting Bullet Bills. Bump into one of them as you walk between points on the map, and you'll enter the mini-game to free the Toad in a chest.

The "secret" is to let the screen fill with as many Bullet Bills as possible before touching the last thing which makes the chest appear. If you have enough BBs on-screen, they will all "pop", and you will get increasing scores for each kill. With enough BBs being killed at once, you'll get a few additional extra lives.

Just like when you have the invincibility star and bump into a lot of enemies. You will get more and more points, up to a point where you start getting extra lives instead.

Joel    27
I tend to be the exploring get all the coins type, while she just likes to plow on and get through the level.

You just described my daughter and me playing LittleBigPlanet.

DJD    44

Wish i had a wii, just so that i could play this game.

DirtyLarry    2,097
You just described my daughter and me playing LittleBigPlanet.

:laugh: Must be a women thing. Actually totally makes sense, just get things done and out of the way the easiest way possible, while as men we need to know every single option available to us before we make a decision.

Joni_78    49

I haven't played anything for years because I think games are just getting worse every year. I just got this game yesterday and I feared they have ruided it too somehow but it turned out too be even better than I expected. Best game since SMB3!

nokiaxion    2
All I will say to this is you have never played with my wife. I tend to be the exploring get all the coins type, while she just likes to plow on and get through the level. And she has played all of the games in the series before, in fact the N64 we have is hers actually. In my solo game I have 41 lives. In our CoOp game I think we both have 8. Both games are only on World 2.

So yeah, way easier said than done. :laugh:

Well if you refuse teamwork/communication, then pick her up and just go thru the level....

I may come around to the teamwork idea at some point, but since we're so used to kicking ass solo it's just taking some time to get used to dealing with each other.

Of course it takes time but once that time is spent, it is worth it :)

:unsure: Getting lives in Mario games is simply too easy. It is just a natural thing. I was up to 93 in World 7. Some friend of a friend played and put me down to 77 :( I want hatless Mario!!! :p

Man, I wish I had time to play it all through....I'm excited about World 9! :)

Bah you aint missing much...

KoL    36

Love the game. I think it would have been cool if they included the mega mushroom from the DS game and the Yoshi's abilities from Super Mario World.

DirtyLarry    2,097
Love the game. I think it would have been cool if they included the mega mushroom from the DS game and the Yoshi's abilities from Super Mario World.

I thought the same thing, was very surprised to not see the Mega Mushroom.

KoL    36

^ Yeah

Another thing is that this game would have been great to play with classic controller.

jerzdawg    338
^ Yeah

Another thing is that this game would have been great to play with classic controller.

you cant? I swore I saw on the back of the box that you were able to... I cant be certain til I get home and check..

upon checking.. it doesnt support it... that is strange that they didnt allow for that..

Just found this on google.. Controller cover

nsmb1grip4.jpg

This post was from August.. I guess that was before Nintendo announced the classic controller wouldnt work... lol

Edited by jerzdawg

Creamy    1

Really? What abilities did Yoshi have in SMW that he doesn't have now? :)

Solid Knight    517

I love this game but I can't fathom why they decided it'd be a good idea to make all players pause and their input ignored every time somebody got a power up, hit, or died. I've died some many times from this. I'd be pressing the jump button but at the same time the pause would occur which means my button press was ignored and I end up falling off a ledge.

lt8480    51
you cant? I swore I saw on the back of the box that you were able to... I cant be certain til I get home and check..

upon checking.. it doesnt support it... that is strange that they didnt allow for that..

Just found this on google.. Controller cover

nsmb1grip4.jpg

This post was from August.. I guess that was before Nintendo announced the classic controller wouldnt work... lol

Bah! that's not a classic style controller.... this is a classic controller :) I still have two of these lying around, they really should make an adapter

mach_-_nes_controller.jpg

KoL    36
Really? What abilities did Yoshi have in SMW that he doesn't have now? :)

There were 4 Yoshies. Green, Red, Yellow and Blue.

Red when eat a koopa shell he can breathe fire. Yellow can stomp the ground and Blue can fly.