[Official] Mass Effect 2

WastedJoker

Did I mention I'm enjoying this more than I did Fallout 3? It's not as varied as it but it's a much tighter engrossing experience. ;)

Spoiler and die :angry:

Spookie

Spoiler and die :angry:

Haha! I won't, not much to spoiler. I've been doing all the side quests. :p

It's a nice touch that you can curve your bionic powers how you like, for example the further you are from the current selected target the greater the bank on the curve. With a good aim you can get it to curve over 45 degrees blowing people out of cover. :D

WastedJoker

So how are the graphics?

ViperAFK

The graphics are much better as is the performance. Even navigating the menus is more responsive.

And the game massively improves on all the flaws of the original. If you haven't bought it yet slap youself :)

Spookie

So how are the graphics?

Second to none with a solid framerate. Realize I went complete dark on this, never read a preview or any details on the game other that going: "OMG THATS WORF!", so it completely blind sided me. I'm loving the characters too. A couple of stereotypes but dialogue more than makes up for it.

WastedJoker

what about particle effects?

Massiveterra

It's so easy to forget that this game uses Unreal Engine

Spookie

Sort of- the stereotypes are there. The latest Unreal engine doesn't 'do' massive open vistas that Bioware clearly tried to do on some planets. But it does make the combat more more satisfying.

what about particle effects?

Look great to me, no real knock on performance either.

Yusuf M.

In my opinion, it's the best looking game based on UnrealEngine 3.

Sethos

I just started a new game in Mass Effect, just to get a save-game on the PC - I played the game on the 360 and I'm getting Mass Effect 2 for the PC, so I'd like to be able to continue 'my' story. So before I spend my weekend on replaying the game, is it possible to choose something like "I played Mass Effect before, these are the choices I made; 1, 2, 3 etc." or are you just thrown into a new-game with the same customization option as in the first?

Massiveterra

I just started a new game in Mass Effect, just to get a save-game on the PC - I played the game on the 360 and I'm getting Mass Effect 2 for the PC, so I'd like to be able to continue 'my' story. So before I spend my weekend on replaying the game, is it possible to choose something like "I played Mass Effect before, these are the choices I made; 1, 2, 3 etc." or are you just thrown into a new-game with the same customization option as in the first?

here, this should help you out

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14235013/mass-effect-2/videos/me2_spc_import_011910.html

Yusuf M.

When you start a new game, you have the following options:

1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Import ME1 Character
  4. Import ME2 Character

If you select "Import ME1 Character", you're brought to a screen to select any available career you have. After that, you'll see a brief summary of the career you selected which highlights pivotal moments in the game (e.g. Who died, etc). It also outlines some of your stats.

Sethos

When you start a new game, you have the following options:

1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Import ME1 Character
  4. Import ME2 Character

If you select "Import ME1 Character", you're brought to a screen to select any available career you have. After that, you'll see a brief summary of the career you selected which highlights pivotal moments in the game (e.g. Who died, etc). It also outlines some of your stats.

So basically, no possibility to manually pick the major choices without having the save-game?

They should really have an option like that, in case you didn't play the game on the same platform :(

ViperAFK

In my opinion, it's the best looking game based on UnrealEngine 3.

Definitely. no retardedly huge characters, and everything isn't brown with a massive amount of specular lighting dropped on top haha.

Massiveterra

LOL yeah the game doesn't look like Vasoline was splashed everywhere LOL

I think art direction has a lot to do with this

Yusuf M.

So basically, no possibility to manually pick the major choices without having the save-game?

They should really have an option like that, in case you didn't play the game on the same platform :(

Basically, no. :p

Think of it as a perk for those who played the original on the same platform they played (or will play) Mass Effect 2 on.

LOL yeah the game doesn't look like Vasoline was splashed everywhere LOL

I think art direction has a lot to do with this

It's the art direction, for sure. I'm glad BioWare went with a more "realistic" approach as opposed to Epic's over-the-top buffed up pseudo-realistic approach (e.g. Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, etc).

Sethos

Can't wait to see the difference between ME1 & 2 (Y)

I also decided to do a minimalistic signature, really excited about this game - ME1 got off to a slow start but once the atmosphere and story got to me, I was hooked.

Really hope they managed to keep that 'epic' feel of the game and everything hasn't gone up in Gears of War combat and explosions.

Think of it as a perk for those who played the original on the same platform they played (or will play) Mass Effect 2 on.

I'm thinking of it as a major oversight from the developer, perk my ass - Why would it matter what platform I played the game on? I paid for it, I completed it, I loved it.

I just can't see the problem in adding a 'returning player' option when starting a game that lets you manually pick every major point you chose in ME1 and then let you continue, in case you wanted to switch platforms or perhaps spice up the story / change choices you weren't satisfied with from the previous game.

I mean, they created a fantastic feature with the carrying over of a character, why not go that extra yard and cover all bases?

Nagisan

And a kick in the balls to anyone who played ME1 on a different platform or misplaced their old saved games. Not going to re-play ME 1 simply to "continue" the character I had when I did play through it.

Either way, they should have really made an advanced option you could pick if you wanted to, to pick the major decisions along the storyline (such as who died and what not).

WastedJoker

And a kick in the balls to anyone who played ME1 on a different platform or misplaced their old saved games. Not going to re-play ME 1 simply to "continue" the character I had when I did play through it.

Either way, they should have really made an advanced option you could pick if you wanted to, to pick the major decisions along the storyline (such as who died and what not).

The benefits of an imported save aren't that massive, really. Bioware have limited the benefit for those exact reasons.

Yusuf M.

It sucks, yeah - but that's how it is. I'm sure BioWare would have added that option if they thought it was important. And by that option, I mean the option to select major plot points that would affect Mass Effect 2's storyline.

Anyway, I decided to go with a Mass Effect 2 avatar (for now). :p

Sethos

It sucks, yeah - but that's how it is. I'm sure BioWare would have added that option if they thought it was important. And by that option, I mean the option to select major plot points that would affect Mass Effect 2's storyline.

Anyway, I decided to go with a Mass Effect 2 avatar (for now). :p

Could also very well be that no one at Bioware thought of it because it seems like a complete oversight, nothing else. As for saying it has no

benefits isn't the point, it's about the immersion of the game, which is kinda important in an RPG - So continuing 'your'

story definitely allows you to become more engrossed in the story and that shouldn't be dismissed as 'nothing'.

EDIT: For **** sake, the new board is formatting posts like some momo on crack, putting

words and sentences down to a new line wherever the hell it pleases

+longgonebn

I played the first hour of ME2 as I said. I was a bit confused with the new characters, and who were old characters. Which is why I am going to play the first game again before continuing ME2.

Massiveterra

Since there is an option to let Shepard die at the end of ME2 (not a spoiler, part of the marketing) I wonder how they're going to work that into ME3

+longgonebn

Since there is an option to let Shepard die at the end of ME2 (not a spoiler, part of the marketing) I wonder how they're going to work that into ME3

I thought the whole him dying thing was

him "dying" at the start at the game and them rebuilding him, and nothing to do at the end

Massiveterra

I thought the whole him dying thing was

him "dying" at the start at the game and them rebuilding him, and nothing to do at the end

I've read countless articles and listened to several podcasts with Bioware where they outright said, "the end is a suicide mission where you have the option of dying. And yes, Shepard can die in the end as part of the story and will carry over to Mass Effect 2."

They have used the terms "suicide mission" countless times in their marketing. Sorry if it is considered a spoiler, but because Bioware outright says it in countless interviews, I assumed it's not a spoiler