[Official] Mass Effect 2

Side quests in DA aren't boring at all. Length of the RPG game is very important, so I think they should have created a larger number of side quests in ME2.

I was comparing it to me1 not DA:O

I still don't believe how one user stated that he finished the game in 23 hours. It took me around 45 hours to complete everything and customize every character. I will be quite upset if it's a shorter game since the hype discussed a longer, more polished and deeper story line with cast from the previous game.

Hey guys I have a crazy idea, how about instead of discussing the mystery of the disappearance of the other thread we...I dunno, talk about Mass Effect 2? :p Personally I can't wait to get it :) less then a week now! I've been busy playing Mass Effect again to try and get my remaining achievements and just brushing up on events of the first game, some interesting tidbits of information floating around in ME1, that may or may not pan out in ME2/ME3 (i.e. the "beings of light" created to stop the "machine devils"...rants of a mad man? or something else?). Bring on the end of the week :D

I still don't believe how one user stated that he finished the game in 23 hours. It took me around 45 hours to complete everything and customize every character. I will be quite upset if it's a shorter game since the hype discussed a longer, more polished and deeper story line with cast from the previous game.

Well ME1 was pretty short too, you could finish that one in less then 23 hours I reckon. Still you can blame the kids with short attention spans for this, they [game developers] have to make the games short otherwise these kids will get bored half way through and never finish it and they'll tell their friends its boring and therefore they'll loose sales (and how would you feel if you spend hundreds of hours making a game to have nobody see it? I'd be damn upset honestly). What is more sad though is all these people who "acquire" the game early, I hope you plan on buying the game when it goes on sale because stealing games is not cool.

Edited by Xerxes

As I said in the other mysteriously gone thread (jk) I can run through me1 in far under 23 hours hours if I purely run through the main stuff, it depends on how you play. I do not think me2 will be a shorter game.

^ I don't doubt that but the user stated that he completed all the side quests too in 23 hours. I have to call him out on that one and say that must be absolutely wrong.

Still you can blame the kids with short attention spans for this, they [game developers] have to make the games short otherwise these kids will get bored half way through and never finish it and they'll tell their friends its boring and therefore they'll loose sales (and how would you feel if you spend hundreds of hours making a game to have nobody see it? I'd be damn upset honestly).

Video games are not restricted to children anymore. GTA IV, Bioshock, Mafia are all examples of games targeting a mature demographic. I have to question the parents' parenting skills for buying a game that's rated 18+ for their children.

^ I don't doubt that but the user stated that he completed all the side quests too in 23 hours. I have to call him out on that one and say that must be absolutely wrong.

Video games are not restricted to children anymore. GTA IV, Bioshock, Mafia are all examples of games targeting a mature demographic. I have to question the parents' parenting skills for buying a game that's rated 18+ for their children.

I agree games are not just for kids anymore, but they still are the main demographic and where most of the money is (Nintendo is case and point of this, the Wii targets that demographic and they are raking it in).

To the highlighted text, I think part of the problem there is that parents don't understand the rating system for games (this is a huge problem in Australia and partly why Michael Atkinson won't stop blocking R18+ for games, but that is another story for another thread).

Finally, I don't doubt that guy completed the whole game in 23 hours, but that is his problem. He obviously has far too much time on his hands with nothing better to do. Just because he powered through it so quickly doesn't mean you or I will, I tend to take my sweet time and explore and enjoy what the game has to offer :)

I agree games are not just for kids anymore, but they still are the main demographic and where most of the money is (Nintendo is case and point of this, the Wii targets that demographic and they are raking it in).

No, "kids" are not the target demographic of the Wii. The target is mostly casual gamers and the general public.

It's also not where most of the money is: as far as I know, the largest proportion of gamers are in their twenties, but the range extends strongly in both directions, above and below. Plus, kids do not have much disposable income to pay for games, so in a way the parents are really the target.

I think it's silly to rush through the game like that...how long till me3 comes out? Another 2 years. So its better to enjoy this one as much as possible.

OMG. I'm not that big of a gamer but I can't wait to play this, Mass Effect was one of the greatest games I've ever played. And this comes from a guy who doesn't like RPG games.

I think it's silly to rush through the game like that...how long till me3 comes out? Another 2 years. So its better to enjoy this one as much as possible.

Yeah, but then you don't get to brag about it on online forums. And that's pretty important, y'know... :)

I'm waiting for the Steam preload atm. NA users got the preload today, rest of the world gets it on Wednesday.

OMG. I'm not that big of a gamer but I can't wait to play this, Mass Effect was one of the greatest games I've ever played. And this comes from a guy who doesn't like RPG games.

Yea same here, I am not that big on RPG but when it comes to Bioware, yes please!

No, "kids" are not the target demographic of the Wii. The target is mostly casual gamers and the general public.

It's also not where most of the money is: as far as I know, the largest proportion of gamers are in their twenties, but the range extends strongly in both directions, above and below. Plus, kids do not have much disposable income to pay for games, so in a way the parents are really the target.

While kids might not be the target demographic, I bet they are the main source of revenue for the Wii. While yes they personally have little "disposable income" to speak of, however, who actually buys the games/consoles for them? the parents do of cause. Kids have a huge influence on what their parents buy and often parents just get them what they want just to shut them up. So while yes the average gamer might be a 20 something with sizable amount of disposable income burning a hole in their pocket, but they are vastly overshadowed by the children and the potential gold mine that awaits. That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

Edited by Xerxes

I just finished the intro (

talking to the Illusive Man ( what kind of ****ty name is that )

)

All I can say is the story so far blows (

Regenerating Sheperd who incinerated into dust after falling through the atmosphere? Couldn't they have thought of something more realistic? Also they blew up the NORMANDY! WTF!!!!

). The hacking minigames are more annoying and repetitive than ever. Also there seems to be an achievement for everything, and you keep getting constant annoying reports through popups of each achievement progress. The character names and dialogue feels out of place, and cheesy. Also what is up with Sara from Chuck being in the game? The great combat/cover system makes up for god awful story.

I don't think I can finish the game if the story, and dialogue keeps making me cringe all the way through.

Edited by s3n4te

My main problem is, I cannot really remember the story of mass effect anymore, lol, played it and completed it, so I just hope that when I get ME2 I wont be too in the dark about story.

Obviously cannot wait for this game, I love the space theme RPG, makes a change from medieval times.

)

Regenerating Sheperd who incinerated into dust after falling through the atmosphere? Couldn't they have thought of something more realistic? Also they blew up the NORMANDY! WTF!!!!

). The hacking minigames are more annoying and repetitive than ever. Also there seems to be an achievement for everything, and you keep getting constant annoying reports through popups of each achievement progress. The character names and dialogue feels out of place, and cheesy. Also what is up with Sara from Chuck being in the game? The great combat/cover system makes up for god awful story.

I don't think I can finish the game if the story, and dialogue keeps making me cringe all the way through.

It doesn't get better, while I don't have the game yet (I decided to not download it and pay respect to BioWare) but the reviews I've seen for the game all say the story sucks. When it comes to games I don't tend to over analyze them, looking for plot holes and such just ruins it in my opinion. Still I was able to enjoy NFS: ProStreet and C&C:RA3 (while most people hated them and called them the worst games ever made), so guess I have a gift (or curse :p) to just enjoy a game no matter what :p

Edited by Xerxes

Biowares already said ME2 is much longer as opposed to the first, no need to worry about that.

While kids might not be the target demographic, I bet they are the main source of revenue for the Wii. While yes they personally have little "disposable income" to speak of, however, who actually buys the games/consoles for them? the parents do of cause. Kids have a huge influence on what their parents buy and often parents just get them what they want just to shut them up. So while yes the average gamer might be a 20 something with sizable amount of disposable income burning a hole in their pocket, but they are vastly overshadowed by the children and the potential gold mine that awaits. That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

This is obviously the wrong thread for this discussion, and I apologise for continuing it, but I had a check up of what stats I could find - this image appears to be the best I could find so far: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/presen/e/img/slide/l54.jpg - it's a survey from 2008 in Tokyo. It suggest kids are an important demographic, but there's still a hell of a lot of users around their thirties. In other words, we're both right to an extent :)

)

Huh? Im exactly opposite, as everything you mentioned makes up for rather annoying system where shepard constantly sticks to wrong walls or just decides to hide behind a wall while sprinting despite the fact he was no where near it. All i can think of at moments like that is how immensely it could have been improved if done from 1st person. Popups are rather discrete and nowhere in your way, hacking mini games are improvement in both execution and variety over first game as well. Names? Names? Huh? Dialogue is pretty much same as in 1st game, thou there seems to be more options and variety. Only thing that sometimes annoys me is the fact that you have to guess what will Shepard actually say after selecting dialogue option. Sometimes its like "no, crap, i didnt wanna say that!!!". Also thank god "Sara from Chuck" is there, at least some reason to finally push for romantic option :D And anyway - whats wrong with actors lending their faces to game characters they are voicing? This is neither the first nor the last time its happening.

And as far as story goes -

I dont see how regenerating Sheppard is any less realistic then, take Jurassic Park? Thin atmosphere perhaps? Also whats wrong with normandys destruction? I am totally confused what were your expectations about this game? Especially, presumably, having played first game and seeing its setup and mood. You kinda remind me of Roman from Party Down :D

For me its perfect sequel for me1. Like Empire Strikes Back - bigger, better, meaner! Yes, also fun...