Images of Internet Explorer 9's new interface leaked

Images of Internet Explorer 9's new interface leaked: it's minimal, it's Metro!

post-1302-12701547162937.png

Tipster Juan Camargo sent us a hot one: This Chinese page purportedly features a couple of leaked screenshots of IE9's new GUI. I don't know if it's the real thing, but if it is, Microsoft are doing something very bold here. The general design is reminiscent of the new Windows Phone 7, with a clean, angular look and graphics that are "cut" on the edge of the window (like that back button in the top-left corner). Even if it's just a mock-up, it's still quite impressive, and an interesting break from what we've come to know from Firefox, Chrome and Opera, not to mention previous versions of IE.

I'll let Google Translate do the talking here: "New version of IE 9 preview version of the title bar of the platform, integrating the address bar, tool bar, search box, the status bar. Click the page title to display the address bar (and the search box, favorites management, access history viewer), the website finish loading cases, the address bar to display only part of the title page." (Any native Chinese speakers here are welcome to submit a better translation via the comments.)

What do you think, people? April Fool's or the real deal?

post-1302-12701547489559.png

Source: Download Squad

Smells like April Fools to me. Then again... who knows.

Doesn't look bad but it doesn't fit with AERO so i doubt that'll be it. Then again IE9's interface supposed to be new and i don't see how they can change anything without leaving the "Aero" look behind. IE8 full matches with all the other explorer windows.

This has April fools written all over it

... That said, the design idea isn't bad, I quite like the ultra-simplistic look that its got going on. More Aero + More Tabs + More Forward button and the design wouldn't be half-way bad :p

It's fake, so obvious considering Microsoft are incorporating IE8 UI elements into WLM.

LOLOL, I knew the second I seen the image, it was fake. Microsoft wouldn't make a browser like that

It has no real interface, no control and I bet no users of internet explorer had any input... so yeah it could be from MS :shiftyninja:

I hope it is an April fools because I am an IE user and have been tested over the years since the IE team decided they know where users want their buttons and therefore should lock most of them.

that actually doesn't look half bad

My thought exactly. Would fit in nicely with Windows Phone 7 series, Zune, and all the new Metro stuff.

I actually like it but thinks it's a fake because

1. They won't obfuscate the address bar like that (even if they did in WinEx)
  2. Tabs?