Images of Internet Explorer 9's new interface leaked

Calum

Why wont it work on XP? Makes no sense.

Why does it make no sense? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft were not still supporting Windows 95 in the year 2004, were they? The only reason XP is still so widely used is because of ignorant PC users/businesses (and perhaps some ignorant developers).

.Neo

Doesn't fit in with Aero or Windows at all.

As if that would stop Microsoft. :p

REM2000

Why does it make no sense? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft were not still supporting Windows 95 in the year 2004, were they? The only reason XP is still so widely used is because of ignorant PC users/businesses (and perhaps some ignorant developers).

but Microsoft are supporting XP until 2014 as it was in general use longer. Win95 was replaced after three years, XP took double that 6 years to be replaced, thus the support after will be longer.

rfirth

Yay! It works! You click on the title bar, and a textbox appears that allows you to type in a URL. Press the enter key, and it navigates to that URL. Also, no tabs yet. Everything else needed to work before tabs. Now, to make something that you can download and try... :)

Known problems: resizing window (other than maximize), no tabs, add favorites button does not function...

post-310832-1270609732863.jpg

Tech Star

WOW! That looks beautiful. :D It is something I would use as soon as it is released and if functioning correctly. :yes:

Howling Wind

Looks ugly to me. Something about it. Its flat and boring. Doesn't fit the rest of Windows UI at all.

Fluxii Media

Yay! It works! You click on the title bar, and a textbox appears that allows you to type in a URL. Press the enter key, and it navigates to that URL. Also, no tabs yet. Everything else needed to work before tabs. Now, to make something that you can download and try... :)

Known problems: resizing window (other than maximize), no tabs, add favorites button does not function...

release this already please. I wanna test it :p

rfirth

And now, without any further delays, I give you... something that looks like an April Fools joke browser! :p

It's a little rough around the edges...

IE9.zip

Hani

Even Microsoft doesn't commit to the Windows UI.

RoomKid

Dude, thats awesome. Hoping to see it soon.

rfirth

Dude, thats awesome. Hoping to see it soon.

Lol, check out post #84... I already uploaded it :p

Explore

Even Microsoft doesn't commit to the Windows UI.

That is true *looks at Zune*

RoomKid

Lol, check out post #84... I already uploaded it :p

Oh silly me. Didn't see it. Thanks :laugh:

Reacon

After using it, I feel this really is just a bad April Fools joke. Even an alpha wouldn't run this horribly, the UI is nothing like Aero, and the default Homepage is Google!

In all likelihood, this is just a badly written program using the Trident engine.

Acid3 also gets a cool 13/100

Stetson

After using it, I feel this really is just a bad April Fools joke. Even an alpha wouldn't run this horribly, the UI is nothing like Aero, and the default Homepage is Google!

In all likelihood, this is just a badly written program using the Trident engine.

Did you even read the thread? It's not supposed to actually be IE9, this is just something that a poster here whipped up because a few people wanted it.

It's not supposed to be the same thing as in the initial post, just inspired by it.

DClark

Looks like something that would have been programmed for WinPho7.

And the Acid3 test practically confirms this is using the IE7 engine (at least it looks identical to the Acid3 results using IE7 mode on the Internet Explorer Platform Preview program).

rfirth

Goodness, that was harsh. Yes, that's pretty much exactly what it was. If you thought it was anything else, that's your own fault.

And yes, this is using the IE7 engine. You can check the the user agent string, for example at whatismyuseragent.com

George P

Looks like some people didn't follow the thread at all.

Argote

It does look a bit like the Zune software (which is freakin' amazing BTW).

Kirkburn

Failures:

- to read the thread

- to understand the purpose of the download

- to implicitly trust a download from a Neowin user

- to think a 200kb download from a Neowin user could be a full browser

- to do any research, especially regarding IE9's existing preview

I really hope your comment was sarcasm (in which case it was quite good!).

• Like 2
Jan

Failures:

- to read the thread

- to understand the purpose of the download

- to implicitly trust a download from a Neowin user

- to think a 200kb download from a Neowin user could be a full browser

- to do any research, especially regarding IE9's existing preview

I really hope your comment was sarcasm (in which case it was quite good!).

This yes.gif

dknm

This is an implementation of the WPF based 'Metro UI' .

You're not likely to see anything similar in the upcoming IE as in the past it hasn't benefited from any overhaul UI wise . Nor should it .

Still , I dig it . Would be a pleasure to use :).

Fluxii Media

I'm on the user-made IE9 mock up browser right now. I like how the Title Bar is the URL bar too... now if you could get tabs like somewhat on the side or somewhere where they are hidden (except a slight bit) and you hover over them they pop out to let you choose. Would be cool.

oh, get settings + bookmarks to work too xD

rfirth

I'm on the user-made IE9 mock up browser right now. I like how the Title Bar is the URL bar too... now if you could get tabs like somewhat on the side or somewhere where they are hidden (except a slight bit) and you hover over them they pop out to let you choose. Would be cool.

oh, get settings + bookmarks to work too xD

Yep, tabs are coming. That's the only thing I really miss when using it. Some settings will be coming, including setting the homepage (maybe you want bing.com :) ), and bookmarks. Also, about the title bar... it's both title bar and URL bar, but it could also be a search box. In my latest version, it will also do a search if you don't type in a URL.

The biggest thing is making it so that it resizes correctly. Since I had to remove the default Windows chrome (as per the original screenshot, no Aero glass border), I have to write the window resizing/moving code myself.

I don't care if nobody ever uses this, because I sure will! :p

Kirkburn

Yep, tabs are coming. That's the only thing I really miss when using it. Some settings will be coming, including setting the homepage (maybe you want bing.com :) ), and bookmarks. Also, about the title bar... it's both title bar and URL bar, but it could also be a search box. In my latest version, it will also do a search if you don't type in a URL.

The biggest thing is making it so that it resizes correctly. Since I had to remove the default Windows chrome (as per the original screenshot, no Aero glass border), I have to write the window resizing/moving code myself.

I don't care if nobody ever uses this, because I sure will! :p

It looks like a great little project to me :yes:

Who cares about download numbers if you enjoy doing it, and it's an interesting experiment.