Images of Internet Explorer 9's new interface leaked

Calum

Tabs? Toolbar? Forward? Bookmarks?

Its nice but its not pratical.

How would dismissing all of that from the final design make it unpractical? I have customised the interface of Firefox to display absolutely nothing apart from the web page because keyboard shortcuts allow me to carry out any function I desire, including switching tabs, showing/hiding the address bar, going back and forward etc. Microsoft could design IE 9 exactly like that, but include a keyboard shortcut for all functions (and later present that to the user) and it would be very much practical.

thealexweb

April fools defo otherwise it's Microsoft's doom.

azz0r_wugg

How would dismissing all of that from the final design make it unpractical? I have customised the interface of Firefox to display absolutely nothing apart from the web page because keyboard shortcuts allow me to carry out any function I desire, including switching tabs, showing/hiding the address bar, going back and forward etc. Microsoft could design IE 9 exactly like that, but include a keyboard shortcut for all functions (and later present that to the user) and it would be very much practical.

lol ... YOU could ... the other 70% of Internet users who use IE couldnt.

What a ridiculous reply.

Calum

lol ... YOU could ... the other 70% of Internet users who use IE couldnt.

What a ridiculous reply.

This is where you are wrong. If using keyboard shortcuts was the usual way of accessing functions in software and not using a pointer to click buttons, you wouldn't be saying this. It's all about what users are used to and how the majority have learnt to use software. Such a design would not be practical in the sense that most users are used to pointing and clicking, but it would certainly be practical in the technical and operational sense. Is it harder to press a few keyboard keys than it is to point and click? No. If all users were taught that they could use key sequences to execute functions, instead of pointing and clicking, they would be able to use a browser with that design just as easily as they use the current Internet Explorer and that is what I am getting at. It's very much practical.

insanelyapple

They just started to putting everywhere Ribbon UI and now, shazam! "Sorry guys, Metro UI looks better"? Compairing to Apples UI consistency, MS one is like chick that swap notoriously guys, cuz they dont please her in bed.

Anyway, i hope thats just April Fools...

Elliott

This is where you are wrong. If using keyboard shortcuts was the usual way of accessing functions in software and not using a pointer to click buttons, you wouldn't be saying this. It's all about what users are used to and how the majority have learnt to use software. Such a design would not be practical in the sense that most users are used to pointing and clicking, but it would certainly be practical in the technical and operational sense. Is it harder to press a few keyboard keys than it is to point and click? No. If all users were taught that they could use key sequences to execute functions, instead of pointing and clicking, they would be able to use a browser with that design just as easily as they use the current Internet Explorer and that is what I am getting at. It's very much practical.

And what makes those key commands apparent? A help button? Oh crap, where is it? :p

hdood

They just started to putting everywhere Ribbon UI and now, shazam! "Sorry guys, Metro UI looks better"? Compairing to Apples UI consistency, MS one is like chick that swap notoriously guys, cuz they dont please her in bed.

Can you say METRO RIBBON???

WAWAWAWAYEAH!

Calum

And what makes those key commands apparent? A help button? Oh crap, where is it? :p

:pinch: Good point :p

goji

I like it...?

DigitalE

I quite like it.

goji

If its real its probably just a concept... Looks a lot to me like windows whistler

Whistler would be such a crazy throw back in aero era. I'd love it.

team_NOOB

Looks really good! Looks like it might even be customisable somewhat kinda like the new firefox interface.

Ci7

actually it look good.

remember people it is not final , thing change especially it is not even beta yet

qdave

It's good, but there is no url bar and no tabs.

ViperAFK

It's not real

Xilo

And 100% consistent with Microsoft track-history. I buy it.

More consistent with Apple's track-history than Microsoft's.

Mr. Gibs

:pinch: Good point :p

The default help button for almost every windows application of course: F1 :rofl:

Tech Star

Wow. I was actually really liking it before thinking this might be an April Fools joke.

Someday I would like a theme like that for FireFox or something because it looks that good.

Elliott

The default help button for almost every windows application of course: F1 :rofl:

Until that one app that breaks it and uses F10 by accident. Then your ****ed. :laugh: :p

soumyasch

Reminds a lot of their Pivot browser.

Pivot%20-%20Copy.png

Guest xiphi

Doesn't really look that bad. Even if this is just a joke, I bet someone will take this and run with it by actually making a metro looking browser.

RoomKid

It really does look sexy but its no where near true.

bogas04

LOL , seems like a longhorn version :p

At least firefox can have similar theme :D

rfirth

Doesn't really look that bad. Even if this is just a joke, I bet someone will take this and run with it by actually making a metro looking browser.

That's actually exactly what I'm going to do :p