Microsoft : Office 2010 RTM (Released to Manufacturing)

installed it finally... its really good. like the cool effect office shows when it startup and very nice to see the file menu as a tab

I've just noticed that too. Office team did a very good job :)

Any hint on when they will release office web apps?

Not that I'm aware of. I just tested it with Office 2010 RTM and it still shows up as a "technical preview". I'm guessing it'll be released before June 15, the date Office 2010 is set to be released to retail stores.

Not that I'm aware of. I just tested it with Office 2010 RTM and it still shows up as a "technical preview". I'm guessing it'll be released before June 15, the date Office 2010 is set to be released to retail stores.

Ok, thank you. I appreciate that a lot.

I just tested it with Office 2010 RTM and it still shows up as a "technical preview".

Are you saying that this is still a tech preview? Or are you talking about SkyDrive?

post-51387-12720052286659.png

Hard to imagine they would release RTM versions of SharePoint and Office 2010 along with a TP of Web Apps.

Are you saying that this is still a tech preview? Or are you talking about SkyDrive?

Hard to imagine they would release RTM versions of SharePoint and Office 2010 along with a TP of Web Apps.

Those are web apps services that can be hosted on a server (meaning businesses can provide the web apps along with Microsoft) and not the ones that the public will access over skydrive.

Ok, thank you. I appreciate that a lot.

You're welcome. :)

I was referring to Windows Live SkyDrive. It's a web-based service so there's no download required when the final version is released. Also, there's no rush because the retail release date for Office 2010 is June 15.

I was referring to Windows Live SkyDrive. It's a web-based service and Office 2010 isn't available in retail stores yet.

Yeah, I've been using SkyDrive for several months and it hasn't changed much at all; and they only opened up Word to a few select testers (not sure why). I hope that's not what the final version will look like.

Yeah, I've been using SkyDrive for several months and it hasn't changed much at all; and they only opened up Word to a few select testers (not sure why). I hope that's not what the final version will look like.

Grrrr... quoted me after I edited my post, haha. A select few testers, you say? I just tested it and Word was available to me. Perhaps they recently made it available to everyone.

Grrrr... quoted me after I edited my post, haha. A select few testers, you say? I just tested it and Word was available to me. Perhaps they recently made it available to everyone.

Interesting. I still get the "coming soon.."

post-51387-12720068789198.png

Over time SkyDrive should be the core of every MS online service, office is the first obv step in that. I can't wait for them to just have everything connect to it.

Me too, but Excel and Powerpoint work. As far as Word, I wish it would come online because I use that the most. I do see that Excel and Powerpoint are still Tech Previews too! :(

Over time SkyDrive should be the core of every MS online service, office is the first obv step in that. I can't wait for them to just have everything connect to it.

That's funny. That's what .NET was supposed to be 10 years ago when Microsoft confused the hell out of everyone while trying to describe what it was. It later became their development framework, of course. Even funnier is that there are still remnants of it in Office 2010. Go to the "Save to Web" and it'll ask you for your password with the same ugly .NET Passport logo they used when all that confusing **** first rolled out.

post-51387-12720076590175.png

And do I need to mention the privacy catastrophe that is brewing with all of these integrated online services? Those services index every letter you type into those things. I want my documents to stay right on my goddamn hard drive. We banned Gmail at my workplace because my lawyer was concerned that Google could claim rights to any patentable idea I transmitted to my colleagues through their servers.

Oh, snap. I don't have access to it as well. I confused the simplistic document editor with Word. For some reason, I thought it was designed that way to make it load quickly. I didn't know the Web Apps were basically web "copies" of their Office counterparts.

I didn't know the Web Apps were basically web "copies" of their Office counterparts.

As far as I know, they're not. They're quite limited, but they're designed that way.

As far as I know, they're not. They're quite limited, but they're designed that way.

True, that was a bit of a stretch. It sure as hell seemed like it though. I played around with the PowerPoint 2010 web app and it felt like I was using PowerPoint 2010. I could see myself making good use of this. For example, I might come across a computer that doesn't have Office 2010 (or any version for that matter). I won't be able to e-mail myself to print out my document. Instead, I can simply log in with my Windows Live ID and print it straight from my SkyDrive.

True, that was a bit of a stretch. It sure as hell seemed like it though. I played around with the PowerPoint 2010 web app and it felt like I was using PowerPoint 2010. I could see myself making good use of this. For example, I might come across a computer that doesn't have Office 2010 (or any version for that matter). I won't be able to e-mail myself to print out my document. Instead, I can simply log in with my Windows Live ID and print it straight from my SkyDrive.

Exactly! They do have a small subset of the main functionality. However, they still allow the basic functions that are the most commonly used. That is more than enough for me! :)

Office web apps aren't suppose to replace Office, like what Google wants to try and do. So they have enough to let you do the basic tasks you might have to do if you're away from your office/home PC and don't have office installed etc.

Besides, dropping the price for office (home and student) is another plus, no outlook though. :(

I like the encrypt and password protect in 2010 since they placed it in the file tab and is easily accessible.

I have never used this feature in 2007. I had few files which need to be confidential but now i had it password protected.

Microsoft did an awesome job with the grouping.

Installed the 32-bit version of Office 2010. So far so good.. the performance has definitely increased over the beta (logically), as well as compared to Office 2007.

I like the encrypt and password protect in 2010 since they placed it in the file tab and is easily accessible.

I have never used this feature in 2007. I had few files which need to be confidential but now i had it password protected.

Microsoft did an awesome job with the grouping.

That just goes to show you how the ribbon does infact bring front hidden features, I had no idea you could password protect files. :p

One annoyance is SharePoint Designer 2010 only connects to SharePoint 2010 so I need SPD 2007 installed. Now there's only 32-bit version of SPD 2007 so I can't use 64-bit Office and it can't co-exist with 32-bit components. They could really have made this scenario work as Expression Web also uses Office components and is 32-bit only at the moment yet I can install 64-bit Office with Expression Web installed. Or they could have made SPD 2010 connect to MOSS 2007.