University Tells Student to Alter Religious Views

Conservative and professor do not mix the majority of professors are liberal.Universities in general are liberal.

Gee, I wonder why...:rolleyes:

You're making a point with no real proof and no real point, She is not becoming a professor in the first place, she's becoming a counselor, It does not matter what her beliefs are, the problem is they shouldnt interfere with schooling/work especially in a job like this where its completely counterproductive.

The person who is teaching her is most likely a liberal especially if shes going to be kicked out of school for her beliefs.

Gee, I wonder why...:rolleyes:

because 40-50 years ago while the vast majority of conservatives were going to vietnam while liberals where hiding in college to skip the selective service.

The person who is teaching her is most likely a liberal especially if shes going to be kicked out of school for her beliefs.

Wow you're thick, She is not failing cause of her beliefs, shes failing cause she cannot seperate her beliefs from her work. Would you like an atheist working with your kids if he might have an influence on what they believe?

because 40-50 years ago while the vast majority of conservatives were going to vietnam while liberals where hiding in college to skip the selective service.

If true this goes to show who were the smarter ones. Hint: The ones fighting an imperialistic war the US couldn't win weren't.

Wow your thick, She is not failing cause of her beliefs, shes failing cause she cannot seperate her beliefs from her work. Would you like an atheist working with your kids if he might have an influence on what they believe?

Um what? Whos thick? You just said shes not failing because her beliefs but then you say she cannot separate her beliefs from her work. Thats why shes being kicked out. I believe that has everything to do with her beliefs.

When the university gives out a degree, it is saying they feel the said individual is fully capable of performing the duty within that field. If professors at that university feel that her beliefs will prevent her from performing her duty upon graduation, they should be able to withhold her graduation. If they give out degrees when the student in question does not fit the criteria, they could lose their accreditation.

Its like at Army boot camp. If you can't pass certain drills, you won't graduate.

Um what? Whos thick? You just said shes not failing because her beliefs but then you say she cannot separate her beliefs from her work. Thats why shes being kicked out. I believe that has everything to do with her beliefs.

I do not have words to describe how stupid what you just said was. I can only hope one day you understand. Thanks for the headache.

No it doesnt.

I can believe that grass is Purple. But when I am teaching a science class about grass, I put my belief aside and teach the grass is green.

What she is doing is teaching the grass is purple.

Seriously?

I can't believe you are even making that statement. It's way more than double facepalm.

Rephrase. The main reason for getting an education is not to acquire knowledge, but to get a degree. If you just want knowledge, spends lots of time at a public library, sit in on a few classes and do a lot of online coursework. I didn't spend $85,000 to get knowledge without the possibility of getting a job for the time and commitment put into my studies. My argument was to point out that education is a two way street. It is a business. You give the institution money, and if you can meet the criteria (grades, 3-5 years, elect.) of the program (your major), they give you a degree.

Rephrase. The main reason for getting an education is not to acquire knowledge, but to get a degree. If you just want knowledge, spends lots of time at a public library, sit in on a few classes and do a lot of online coursework. I didn't spend $85,000 to get knowledge without the possibility of getting a job for the time and commitment put into my studies. My argument was to point out that education is a two way street. It is a business. You give the institution money, and if you can meet the criteria (grades, 3-5 years, elect.) of the program (your major), they give you a degree.

What do they call university learning? Higher education. You typically go from high school to university to continue learning what you learned in high school.Not to be taught views.And certainly this is a case of the liberal point of view since someone that is most likely conservative is being kicked out.

Conservative and professor do not mix the majority of professors are liberal.Universities in general are liberal.

True on the surface, but not in practice. Two of my favorite professors were conservative.

There have been many times where Secular and Religious thought have come to odds. This is one of those times.

The Religious thought on homosexuality is in direct conflict with the Secular one here. It is plain to see that between the two there is no chance of a middle ground.

The university has a right to refuse to teach, along the same rights that businesses have the right to refuse service.

Either Miss Keaton needs to change her religious views in order to continue her education in a secular university, or change to a religious one.

+1 to the School.

T

What do they call university learning? Higher education. You typically go from high school to university to continue learning what you learned in high school.Not to be taught views.And certainly this is a case of the liberal point of view since someone that is most likely conservative is being kicked out.

I guess. From my experience there was very little in common between high school (which was about social engineering unless an AP course) and college, which was more about critical thinking skills.

If true this goes to show who were the smarter ones. Hint: The ones fighting an imperialistic war the US couldn't win weren't.

I think you need to brush up on your history, LBJ refused to invade Laos and Cambodia to destroy the Ho Chi Minh Trail as to keep international favor. If he did the entire NVA army would have been destroyed within a few months.

You don't get it. She will be HIRED BY A SCHOOL to be a consoler after graduation. She has NO RIGHT to voice her opinion when working with kids. What she does outside of school is her own business

What if a Gay student came into her office to talk about a problem. Her beliefs would not let her do her job effectively.

What if? Why not give her a chance to try and do the job then decide?

It is a graduate program. It is a privilege to enter the program, they can dismiss someone for not conforming to their view of what an acceptable graduate candidate should meet in criteria. There is nothing under the 1st Amendment to protect her. This is not a freedom of religion or speech issue.

Not if they are a publicly funded university.

Private schools have more freedom in that aspect, but schools that are funded by the state do not have that kind of freedom.

The university is going to get into a lot of trouble for doing this. They will have to show proof that she had allowed her religious views to affect her judgment and how she behaved in an professional setting with patients. Since the article makes no such mention, that she just mentioned it in the classroom and outside of the classroom, the school is wrong and facing an expensive $$$ judgement against them

Its hard to choose sides on this one. I don't believe that any university should dictate your beliefs nor expell you for them. If you look at the article though it states that on several occasions there were papers that she turned in about gays and lesbians that had professors concerned about her beliefs. I am sure there intention is not to tell her she can't be a Christian, but rather that her beliefs about gays and lesbians might interfere with her professional Councillng later on. Its ok to have opinions, but in that field of work you need to be as fair and neutral as possible

If we can't voice our opinion at school, work, or in public, then we truly have come to a sad point in our country.

Freedom of speech is protected in our constitution, and universities receive massive funding from the government, thus, speech should be protected.

Teachers and professors voice their opinions all the time, and the ONLY time you ever hear people complain is when the school kicks them out for having DIFFERENT views.