Suggestion: Banning the +1

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of +1?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not care.

It's pretty easy to agree without just posting "+1"

it's even easier to scroll quickly past +1 posts if you really want to read the longer posts only.

if +1 too much to scroll past, longer and tl;dr posts in long threads are going to be even worse.

I see a lot of people going siding on one or the other side. The thread is split on the issue. You may have just noticed a lot of the dissenters +1'ing their pals, while people that are for this voice their opinion and wait for another chance to.

Why don't you post a poll on the original post and see what the outcome is. Three replies: +1 is ok, +1 is not ok, I don't care either way.

I suppose it will just give the already 'power crazy' moderation team another excuse to feel even more almighty.

Banning +1?? Never heard anything so ridiculous in my life!

I suppose it will just give the already 'power crazy' moderation team another excuse to feel even more almighty.

This is just an idea I put forward, the moderation team didn't have anything to do with my post. They have their own opinions.

The new Neowin roll out had this for a few weeks. Then it got removed.

Yeah, does anyone know why? I would be a great and clean way to satisfy both camps here; users get to show their support to the comment :woot: and others don't have to scroll through a bunch of posts stating the exact same thing over and over. :wacko:

TL;DR: bring back comment ratings. :yes:

Not for me.

hmm, odd :p

how does showing your agreement to a post not contribute to a topic?

how is this reasonably not acceptable?

is +1 being abused to such a degree that threads are being inundated with +1 spam on a daily weekly or even monthly basis?

as for common sense, and lacking there of, i see this happening to a large degree in the real world issues and domestic politics and real world news sub forums on a daily basis, going as far as holocaust denial and advocation of genocide based on race or religion, or lynch mobs or so on, and have yet to see any visible sign of action against such posts or posters. certainly these are more severe than a mere +1 which indicates agreeement with the above or quoted post?

I have no statistics that say as such. also you may have seen no visible action taken against members because that information is kept hidden from members not involved.

imho add it to the word filter and add a 10character minimum to all posts if you really want to avoid +1 posts or anything similar, because no one can reasonably expected to think that such posts are not acceptable under the rules of this site even if they're using the internet for the first time, considering historical and prevalence contexts.

Good idea.

I'm sorry, but I will honestly leave Neowin if I get banned or get a warning for saying "+1"

I see no problem with that unless a users reply history consists of only +1 posts/replies. This is ridiculous.

It's unlikely that you will recieve a warning or get banned.

That's true, you can talk about personal experiences or why you agree, or even talk about a certain part of the post you agree with. All of which will contribute to the discussion better.

You see what I did there? I could have written the above statement, or

+1.

Well said.

Sometimes I dont explain things well, thus leaving my posts up to multiple interpretations. my apologies.

Yeah, does anyone know why? I would be a great and clean way to satisfy both camps here; users get to show their support to the comment and others don't have to scroll through a bunch of posts stating the exact same thing over and over.

the system was abused.

I'm sorry, but I will honestly leave Neowin if I get banned or get a warning for saying "+1"

I see no problem with that unless a users reply history consists of only +1 posts/replies. This is ridiculous.

This isn't meant to sound rude so don't take it personal, but, quite frankly, I (along with the vast majority of people reading) couldn't care less if you agreed or disagreed with said topic. If you agree, expound on the topic, if you disagree, give alternative viewpoints (in a civilized manner of course). Think of all the megabytes, perhaps gigabytes of data that has to be stored on Neowin's servers that consist of no more than "+1" or "this". Storage isn't cheap. Think of the children david. :p

I have no statistics that say as such. also you may have seen no visible action taken against members because that information is kept hidden from members not involved.

that doesn't preclude visible actions. the same posters post the same "opinions"/hate speech over and over again time and time again, and the posts themselves remain.

although i have noticed these sections seemed to have slowed down lately. so maybe i am wrong and you guys banned a bunch of the regulars in these sections. i guess we'll see when the next controversial issue hits the news.

Well said.

Sometimes I dont explain things well, thus leaving my posts up to multiple interpretations. my apologies.

How is writing "well said" any different than typing "+1"? Was that an acceptable post? I know you typed a sentence after that, but that's what I see with most "+1" posts anyways, so I think it's relevant.

This isn't meant to sound rude so don't take it personal, but, quite frankly, I (along with the vast majority of people reading) couldn't care less if you agreed or disagreed with said topic. If you agree, expound on the topic, if you disagree, give alternative viewpoints (in a civilized manner of course). Think of all the megabytes, perhaps gigabytes of data that has to be stored on Neowin's servers that consist of no more than "+1" or "this". Storage isn't cheap. Think of the children david. :p

I'm only quoting this because I find it quite ironic that you say that you (and the cast majority of people reading) couldn't care less if you agree or disagreed with said topic. That also goes the same that the cast majority of people reading couldn't care less if you agreed or disagreed with david's comment (food for thought).

The moderators on Neowin are not power crazy, kthx. Obviously you have no idea of the serious amount of hard work they do to make the site what it is, maybe you should appriciate what they do a bit more eh?

View PostQuigley Guy, on 28 September 2010 - 16:05, said:

get over it...

I hate this kind of post

you get over it and stop +1ing... say something more interesting...

I hate it when someone says they don't agree (-1) with you and you complain about them +1'ing youi !!!!! LEARN TO READ BEFORE YOU CONDEMN! also, +1 to the phrase; "DEAL WITH IT".

How is writing "well said" any different than typing "+1"? Was that an acceptable post? I know you typed a sentence after that, but that's what I see with most "+1" posts anyways, so I think it's relevant.

Yes, I didnt just type "+1".

that doesn't preclude visible actions. the same posters post the same "opinions"/hate speech over and over again time and time again, and the posts themselves remain.

If you see something which you think breaks the rules then click the report button and report the post.

if the post remains, its likely that the staff member that dealt with the report didnt think it broke any rules.

If you see something which you think breaks the rules then click the report button and report the post.

if the post remains, its likely that the staff member that dealt with the report didnt think it broke any rules.

"jews did 9/11" is acceptable but +1 isn't. gotcha.

The moderators on Neowin are not power crazy, kthx. Obviously you have no idea of the serious amount of hard work they do to make the site what it is, maybe you should appriciate what they do a bit more eh?

I beg to differ.

So -1

:)

I'm only quoting this because I find it quite ironic that you say that you (and the cast majority of people reading) couldn't care less if you agree or disagreed with said topic. That also goes the same that the cast majority of people reading couldn't care less if you agreed or disagreed with david's comment (food for thought).

He was talking directly to david. But by posting his long response, I know where he stands and see how he has contributed to the thread. I appreciate his post.

Exactly.

Oh, I mean agreed.

Sorry, (Y)

Oh, you know what I mean...well said.

You misunderstand.

"said topic" doesn't mean "this topic" (Banning the +1). It was a generic summation of future topics that are being discussed. Hopefully that clears up the confusion.

I would say posters should say +1/-1 only if they give a reason behind it.Therefore it's not just '+1's and -1's' everywhere. But banning for agreeing on something? That's stupid. -1.