Suggestion: Banning the +1

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of +1?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not care.

The less +1's there are, the more people will read through a whole thread. If a thread is 8 pages long, but only 5 without the +1's, it would help give more credit to the people who put time into the discussion.

The less +1's there are, the more people will read through a whole thread. If a thread is 8 pages long, but only 5 without the +1's, it would help give more credit to the people who put time into the discussion.

+1 :D

No we should keep it. -1 to this thread.

+1

And there is a perfect example of when it is used properly.

I personally usually put a +1, and then sometimes a short little sentence to follow up why I do agree.

I truly and sincerely see this whole "issue" to be totally non existent.

I have to say, I'm really not sure what the problem is here. The majority of threads on this site seem to go like this:

Original Post: Hey everyone it's my birthday today

Reply 1: Happy Birthday

Reply 2: Happy Birthday

Reply 3: Happy Birthday

Original Post: Hey everyone, I just passed my exams

Reply 1: Congrats

Reply 2: Congrats

Reply 3: Congrats

Original Post: Story about immigrant on benefits killing a cat, copied and pasted from The Daily Fail

Reply 1: Kill her

Reply 2: Kill her

Reply 3: Kill her

Original Post: Hey everyone, should I buy an iPhone or Android

Reply 1: iPhone

Reply 2: Android

Reply 3: Blackberry

What difference does it make if one or two of the posts in those threads are a simple +1 to convey agreement? It's not as if we're talking about someone interrupting Shakespeare.

Also, during debates in Parliament, MPs often call out "Hear hear" to convey agreement and emphasise a point. It may not add anything to the debate but it's still important to the debate as it can be supportive or give readers and idea of where the debate is headed. +1 is exactly the same and it provides members with a simple way to emphasise a point in a debate that might be getting bogged down with crap comments, OT comments, flames, etc. To ban or moderate this away would be at least pointless or most likely stupid.

I've never come across a thread that has been taken over by +1's and really wonder why the OP has got his knickers in a bunch over it. If you don't like +1 comments then just scroll past them. It's not that difficult. Personally, I'd rather see a +1 then have to waste time reading through some poorly worded/or misspelt comment that just says exactly the same thing as the comment that it's agreeing with.

I think it would be quite funny if when someone uses +1 it changes it to something else like "i concur, your wisdom knows no bounds my fellow homosapien" and instead of -1 you could say "what the **** you stupid ******, shut the **** up"

+1

I personally usually put a +1, and then sometimes a short little sentence to follow up why I do agree.

+1

+1, to an extent.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I've used "+1 / +2" at somepoint in the past, though I always try and quantify my reasoning behind it - so for instance, +1 on your post, 'cause really, I don't see it as being a significant issue. Anyone who has been using the internet for more than 5 mins should be able to navigate through a forum and visually "skip" short comments.

I merged the threads, thinking it would keep the poll, but it did not. So I added the poll again. My apologies.

To anyone who already voted (there were 10 votes) feel free to vote again.

DL

Wow. I cant believe that the mods are now going to warn people for posting +1 and such... Returning to the old ways of Neowin FTL...

...Unbelieveable.

Why do you even bothered participating in a forum if you aren't going to read the topics you respond to.

Yes, good point. It might also cut down on people making posts just for the sake of it.

I dont think we should get rid of +1 but its silly for people to reply to a post with just +1 and nothing else, thats the problem. The poll should be about posting +1 only.

the whole premise for this thread is the irrational fear that overnight and in total contrast to the entire history of neowin that if action isn't taken against +1 and one word posts neowin is going to turn in digg.

none of this can be proven through examples of threads on neowin, in which the biggest example of +1 spam so far linked is a thread with a whopping 23 +1s in it, which is far from the exaggerated perception of threads that are 15 pages long being 10 pages of only +1 posts. as it stands this very thread is probably the absolute worst example of +/-1 spam on all of neowin.

it is prime example of people on the internet wanting website and the internet in general to adapt to their whims and desires instead of adapting to the customs of the internet. to put this in real life context this is on the level of moving to a country like france and requiring your 4 wives to wear a burqa whenever going out in public and demanding shiria law based marriage counseling and imposition of sharia law for common and criminal law matters. i sue this example because there certainly has been a backlash against such practices, and such action have been taken by people who seemingly want all the customs of the natural nation coupled with all teh benefits of their adopted nation, which are incompatable.

it is silly to think neowin is going to magically turn in to digg. to the average internet user +1 doesn't look bad, it looks like someone agrees with the post they are quoting, the OP or the post above theirs. i see it on fb fairly often(well about as often as i see on fneowin) and fb isn;t magically going to turn into digg either.

most of the time on neowin when you see +1, it is accompanied by a sentence, paragraph or essay sized post. it is used in posts with multiquotes as well.

if people feel the need to increase their post count by whatever means necessary, nothing short of removing post count from being displayed only in their profiles or at all is going to stop that, not word filters, min character limits or deleted posts, or even warns,. people that care about post count will simply find loop holes to increase their post counts, to the detriment of people who simply post alot due to having that kind of free time and something to say about a topic or post often.

personally my pet peeve is grammar nazism, but it doesn't seem to be against the rules here so i don't report it and not campaigning against it based on the fear that gramar nazi style posts are going to be incredibly rampant. if at some point this forum decided to grammar nazi at the mod level using warns bans and post deletions, neowin will no longer be a site for me, as i don't post on sites that demand 100% university english 404 essay paper level of language. if i see alot of it in a sub forum over the course of the week i might add a comment about it in one of my posts at most, but not the entire content of that post.

I said Digg like, Digg users use it alot so it is a prime example.

Digg users use +1 a lot because it's commonly used in forums all over the internet.

That is a great point. I think the news sections, mainly the main page, should have the +1 posts removed. It looks bad for visitors.

Why does it look bad for visitors? As I said above, +1 is common notation on the internet so any visitors who saw it in the news section would feel right at home. There are much bigger problems with the way that comments work in the new section than a couple of users adding +1

I very much doubt that you could find a single thread that could be reduced by even a single page by simply removing the +1's. I don't think you or the couple of people who are supporting you do yourselves any favours by exaggerating the extent of the "problem".

the whole premise for this thread is the irrational fear that overnight and in total contrast to the entire history of neowin that if action isn't taken against +1 and one word posts neowin is going to turn in digg.

none of this can be proven through examples of threads on neowin, in which the biggest example of +1 spam so far linked is a thread with a whopping 23 +1s in it, which is far from the exaggerated perception of threads that are 15 pages long being 10 pages of only +1 posts. as it stands this very thread is probably the absolute worst example of +/-1 spam on all of neowin.

it is prime example of people on the internet wanting website and the internet in general to adapt to their whims and desires instead of adapting to the customs of the internet. to put this in real life context this is on the level of moving to a country like france and requiring your 4 wives to wear a burqa whenever going out in public and demanding shiria law based marriage counseling and imposition of sharia law for common and criminal law matters. i sue this example because there certainly has been a backlash against such practices, and such action have been taken by people who seemingly want all the customs of the natural nation coupled with all teh benefits of their adopted nation, which are incompatable.

it is silly to think neowin is going to magically turn in to digg. to the average internet user +1 doesn't look bad, it looks like someone agrees with the post they are quoting, the OP or the post above theirs. i see it on fb fairly often(well about as often as i see on fneowin) and fb isn;t magically going to turn into digg either.

most of the time on neowin when you see +1, it is accompanied by a sentence, paragraph or essay sized post. it is used in posts with multiquotes as well.

if people feel the need to increase their post count by whatever means necessary, nothing short of removing post count from being displayed only in their profiles or at all is going to stop that, not word filters, min character limits or deleted posts, or even warns,. people that care about post count will simply find loop holes to increase their post counts, to the detriment of people who simply post alot due to having that kind of free time and something to say about a topic or post often.

personally my pet peeve is grammar nazism, but it doesn't seem to be against the rules here so i don't report it and not campaigning against it based on the fear that gramar nazi style posts are going to be incredibly rampant. if at some point this forum decided to grammar nazi at the mod level using warns bans and post deletions, neowin will no longer be a site for me, as i don't post on sites that demand 100% university english 404 essay paper level of language. if i see alot of it in a sub forum over the course of the week i might add a comment about it in one of my posts at most, but not the entire content of that post.

Sharia, not shiria ;)

Other than that, +1

...Unbelieveable.

Why do you even bothered participating in a forum if you aren't going to read the topics you respond to.

When a mod says something like:

Let us know when a +1 is posted and we will deal with it"

Used in context to the threads title, one would assume they mean handing out warns... I actually DID read the whole thread.

Seems like an utter waste of a mods time to have to round sorting out a post ever time someone says "+1" or something similar.

I don't mind the "+1", if I see it I read what they were agreeing with, I don't see anything wrong with It personally.

And after topics like this we will now no doubt get a "+1" followed by someone saying how you can't do that anymore, which would only fill up topics pointlessly.

When a mod says something like:

Let us know when a +1 is posted and we will deal with it"

Used in context to the threads title, one would assume they mean handing out warns... I actually DID read the whole thread.

the title says "banning +1" not "banning people who post +1".

that is also why i said in a later post that sometimes im not good at explaining things which means its intrepreted wrong.

This reinforces my point about people not actually reading the thread in it's entirety!

I didnt want to sound mean :laugh:

the title says "banning +1" not "banning people who post +1".

that is also why i said in a later post that sometimes im not good at explaining things which means its intrepreted wrong.

I have that same problem! :(