Suggestion: Banning the +1

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of +1?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not care.

TC: So...just because you don't like something (nevermind being misinformed of the origins and usage of '+1', et. al.), it should be banned? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I say we ban the forums altogether so that we don't upset someone. :rolleyes:

What happened to forums being a open discussion board.

OP -1

Yea, discussion. Not two character posts. If you agree state why.

Posting "+1" all the time is just lazy and silly... and some what sad.

Neowin needs a "like" feature that is posted at the top of a thread. That way it is in one area and people can see how much others like a thread. That way its visible, out of the way, and doesnt clutter up a post.

That would be perfect.

Wow. I cant believe that the mods are now going to warn people for posting +1 and such... Returning to the old ways of Neowin FTL...

Guess this will be the way for a while until the admins have a change in the staffing system again as happens from time to time. :)

oh god yes, +1 posts by themselves add nothing to the topic at hand. They are fine if the poster then adds his/her viewpoint as well tho.

Delete post counts and the problem goes away :p

oh wow I thought this was just a rant thread, you guys really going to try and moderate the use of +1? What next, trying to regulate correct spelling and punctuation?

Seriously lets all chill, it indicates agreement and is a nice way to be apart without writing an exposition on why or why not you may disagree or that you found a post humours or a comment ftw etc. Im sure a minority use it to ratch up a post count, but again - a minority.

You could always bring back the +1 button for posts and just disconnect it as an aura or whatever it was previously.

I have two things to say:

• +1 is not a Digg invention
  • The use of +1 indicates agreement - and there's no simpler way to see that lots of people agree with a post than to scroll down and see pages of +1

Beyond that, I personally don't have a problem with +1. It's a simple response, but that doesn't make it a bad response.

+1. Seriously, is this all we have to worry about?

http://www.neowin.ne...-tv-commercials

Pages, no. However, there are way too many "+X" comments that do nothing to contribute other than take up space.

http://www.neowin.ne...-the-use-of-pod got up to 23. However, I don't think that forum posts are the same as "news" articles/editorials. Perhaps if this is such a large problem in Neowin's actual news section you can disable the comments there, and just let discussion about the topic go back to the forums rather than be on the news page.

What about the joke section of Neowin? If someone posts something funny, the first person responds with laughter, is it spammy to +1 the laughter? IMO if you're going to have something that is a bannable offense it should be written out clearly in the rules, not merely left to a mod's discretion.

Hmm, I'm not sure where the idea of getting banned for posting +1 came from. weird.

The thread title?

Seriously lets all chill

Excellent suggestion.

I never said you would recieve a warning or a ban if you posted +1.

I'm almost sorry I had to put that in big letters.

edit: actually, no im not, I give up now. :sleep:

It's merely a cop-out for those too lazy to formulate an actual thought and contribute to the discussion. If you have something to say, say it. If you're just nodding along in agreement, adding +1 adds nothing to a thread so don't bother.

Most of these [sic] "+1" posts are part of adding to people's post count! If post count on this forum was not an issue (As it is for 90% of people here!) we in all likelihood would not be having this discussion!

+1 = i am agree with you

you cant ban someone that agree with someone ;)

Not one moderator has said you will be warned or banned for posting a "+1" post! If you look about 4 or 5 posts above your post you will see that a moderator said exactly that! But like most people on this forum, the majority read the post header and perhaps the first post and then shoot down to the end of the thread and post a "+1" post! :rolleyes:

whatever happened to the add rep counter that we used to have? that's effectively "+1"

This is probably where this "+1" business started.

I would say posters should say +1/-1 only if they give a reason behind it.Therefore it's not just '+1's and -1's' everywhere. But banning for agreeing on something? That's stupid. -1.

Once again NO ONE said anything about banning anyone!

Hmm, I'm not sure where the idea of getting banned for posting +1 came from. weird.

This reinforces my point about people not actually reading the thread in it's entirety!

Excellent suggestion.

I never said you would recieve a warning or a ban if you posted +1.

I'm almost sorry I had to put that in big letters.

edit: actually, no im not, I give up now. :sleep:

you said to report such posts and a mod would handle it.

as well as saying something about the is this acceptable warning at the top of new posts text fields.

in context of the OP(including title), it certainly did imply that this could or would be a warnable and eventually bannable offence.

i assume if something is deletable, repetition of such a post even if the poster failed to realize his previous posts were getting deleted would warrant a warn. or at least an admonishment through PM.

I disagree with this, the actual +1 feature built in was removed for members, at least allow for us to still quote and +1 in a post. I do not do this often, and I understand many do, but we should still be able to do this imo.

Wow. I cant believe that the mods are now going to warn people for posting +1 and such... Returning to the old ways of Neowin FTL...

Guess this will be the way for a while until the admins have a change in the staffing system again as happens from time to time. :)

No one said that.

I think we had +1 here before Digg existed or was popular :blink:

I said Digg like, Digg users use it alot so it is a prime example.

oh wow I thought this was just a rant thread, you guys really going to try and moderate the use of +1? What next, trying to regulate correct spelling and punctuation?

I actually think this thread is full of good ideas and discussion.

http://www.neowin.ne...-the-use-of-pod got up to 23. However, I don't think that forum posts are the same as "news" articles/editorials. Perhaps if this is such a large problem in Neowin's actual news section you can disable the comments there, and just let discussion about the topic go back to the forums rather than be on the news page.

What about the joke section of Neowin? If someone posts something funny, the first person responds with laughter, is it spammy to +1 the laughter? IMO if you're going to have something that is a bannable offense it should be written out clearly in the rules, not merely left to a mod's discretion.

The thread title?

That is a great point. I think the news sections, mainly the main page, should have the +1 posts removed. It looks bad for visitors.