Mac OS X Lion Discussion

It saves the file without you having to save it (plus it's local and doesn't require a second HD).

Oh, that's great. Now, will Time Machine and Versions coexist together? Doesn't Versions 'do more' than Time Machine? (new to Mac)

Oh, that's great. Now, will Time Machine and Versions coexist together? Doesn't Versions 'do more' than Time Machine? (new to Mac)

My guess is that Versions won't keep files that have been deleted. It also doesn't do full system backups.

They'll co-exist

Versions is a bit like shadow copy or whatever from WIndows BUT it does a bit more. On supported applications it will save the file without the user saving

In case you guys were wondering, this is how you get an app out of full screen (shows up in the menu bar, which shows up when your cursor is at the top of the screen): post-17580-0-53705300-1298573757.png

Edit: Also, just noticed this in the All My Files section in Finder (note the Cover Flow): post-17580-0-97325700-1298573857.png

What does that button next to the view modes do?

What does that button next to the view modes do?

That's the sorter (so you can get that view that you see in All My Files in whatever folder you want). Kind of cool that you can even sort by which application will open it.

post-17580-0-38938400-1298575123.png

Just installed a fresh version of Snow Leopard on a new partition; updating it to 10.6.6, then getting the Lion dev preview from the app store. Amazing how much time and data this takes, Rogers is gonna kill me...

Just installed a fresh version of Snow Leopard on a new partition; updating it to 10.6.6, then getting the Lion dev preview from the app store. Amazing how much time and data this takes, Rogers is gonna kill me...

:laugh: I thought it was pretty cool that it comes through the App Store though.

So, QuickLook is white now. I don't like that so much.

How about the menus that pop-up when you right-click icons in the dock? Are they still black, or were they made white as well?

No, they'll just charge you to death

So, QuickLook is white now. I don't like that so much.

How about the menus that pop-up when you right-click icons in the dock? Are they still black, or were they made white as well?

Still black.

:laugh: I thought it was pretty cool that it comes through the App Store though.

Yeah, although I'm not sure I will like it if that's how they publish the update - will fresh installs of Lion be possible?

Yeah, although I'm not sure I will like it if that's how they publish the update - will fresh installs of Lion be possible?

Updates should come down through Software Update. I would imagine DVDs for fresh installs will be available for the final product, but Apple is definitely trying to leave optical media behind.

You can't do a fresh install of Lion? :/

Not right now. Had to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard on another partition, update it to 10.6.6, redeem a code in the MAS and download the Lion installer.

Not right now. Had to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard on another partition, update it to 10.6.6, redeem a code in the MAS and download the Lion installer.

*sigh*

So, no chance for a leak to test it without a developer account :(

*sigh*

Yeah, I wanted to install a copy here. If it comes through the App Store I believe it will be impossible to get, and if I have to waste like 2 hours to install Snow Leopard + updates before, it’s a let down for the moment.

It will probably be more like Leopard $129 than Snow Leopard.

This. Lion is a true update with major new features, not just a bunch of optimizations with some perfections or the so-called "refinements".

If it comes through the App Store I believe it will be impossible to get

People already cracked FaceTime in a matter of hours, I'm guessing the same will happen eventually with Mac OS X Lion.

i hope its still $29 to uograde

Doubtful. However I don't think they're going back to €129 either.

Looking very nice. I can't say I'm a fan of the inverted toolbar buttons (depressed if not selected), but everything else looks good.

I think they're going to for that slider look you see in Time Machine preferences as well (among other places).

screenshot20110224at211.png

I imagine the button in the Finder toolbar slides around when selecting a different view mode.