Mac OS X Lion Discussion

I just explained why it's there...

Off topic just a bit, but do you mind sending me a PM [to keep thread on track] how on earth you changed the color of the selected options?

In windows, if you cut a file, it is deleted only after its completely copied over at the other destination.

For individual files, that's true. For folders, it isn't. When moving a folder, each file within it is deleted after it is moved, so if you cancel a folder move partway through, you end up with part of the folder in one location, and part in another. And I think a lot of Windows users don't realize that moving a file works similarly on OS X to how it works on Windows. If you drag a file from one location to another on the same volume, it is moved. If you drag it to a different volume, it is copied.

This does, however, bring up a flaw that I hate about moving folders on OS X: If you move a folder on top of another folder of the same name, all of the contents of the original one are replaced by the new one, not merged as they are on Windows.

But there is no harm for Apple to put that feature in future versions of OSX for us MAC users :D

Ever heard about a program called MoveAddict , Full Cut/Copy/Paste functionality in your lovable Mac .

Ever heard about a program called MoveAddict , Full Cut/Copy/Paste functionality in your lovable Mac .

What happens if you cut a file and then accidentally cut something else? Does the cut file disappear in cyberspace or is there a safety net preventing that from happing just like in Windows 7?

Apple really needs to fix those 10 billion different scroll bar styles throughout their applications. It's not funny anymore. The way Mac OS X Tiger spiraled out of control when it came to window themes, Mac OS X Snow Leopard is spiraling out of control when it comes to scroll bars.

I think it's weird Pages still has the regular Aqua scroll bars when running on Lion... :/

From what I saw they changed the zoom button "+" to something that look to be crossing arrows to reflect the new full screen mode. So spotting what applications have a full screen mode should be easy. Can't find the screen shot anymore though. I'm really glad they're finally updating the red star dock badges with the ones used by iOS. I expected them to do that with Leopard.

Looks like they increased the drop shadow of active windows again. Or is that just me?

You joking right ? You don't know how cut/paste works do you? :D

In my past use of Windows for 10 years or more, I never had destruction of data.

In windows, if you cut a file, it is deleted only after its completely copied over at the other destination. If you cut a file and start doing something else, it doesnt get deleted. It stays in its place and cut command is cancelled if you initiate any other file transfer. In short its perfectly safe.

Most MAC users don't miss it because they don't know how useful that feature is. :)

i've been an OSX user for the last 7 years and i miss it to death, soooo annoying not being there. It's one of the reasons why I think Windows Explorer is better then Finder.

Apple really needs to fix those 10 billion different scroll bar styles throughout their applications. It's not funny anymore. The way Mac OS X Tiger spiraled out of control when it came to window themes, Mac OS X Snow Leopard is spiraling out of control when it comes to scroll bars.

Well it does look as though the iOS scrollbar will become the main one. Am I right in thinking that in the case of iTunes it's different because it's Carbon based?

For individual files, that's true. For folders, it isn't. When moving a folder, each file within it is deleted after it is moved, so if you cancel a folder move partway through, you end up with part of the folder in one location, and part in another. And I think a lot of Windows users don't realize that moving a file works similarly on OS X to how it works on Windows. If you drag a file from one location to another on the same volume, it is moved. If you drag it to a different volume, it is copied.

This does, however, bring up a flaw that I hate about moving folders on OS X: If you move a folder on top of another folder of the same name, all of the contents of the original one are replaced by the new one, not merged as they are on Windows.

You still won't lose any files though so it's not that big of a deal.

Well it does look as though the iOS scrollbar will become the main one. Am I right in thinking that in the case of iTunes it's different because it's Carbon based?

An application being Carbon based has nothing to do with the scroll bars. iTunes 4 used to have Aqua scroll bars that matched the OS defaults. Apple changed them on purpose. iPhoto '11 spots yet another scroll bar theme. Really annoying.

They shouldn't switch to rounded bottom corners. It doesn't look professional on OSX where there are a lot of straight lines.

+1

My most hated BUG in OSX is what you just described.

They shouldn't switch to rounded bottom corners. It doesn't look professional on OSX where there are a lot of straight lines.

How so? Contextual menus have rounded corners, the top of all windows have rounded corners and many bottom bars of applications already have rounded corners today (iTunes, iCal, iChat, Address Book etc.). If anything Apple is increasing consistency by doing so.

Does anybody think we will finally be getting away from the Aqua-style interface in OSX Lion? Maybe system-wide progress bars like iPhoto '11?

Edited by kraized

Does anybody think we will finally be getting away from the Aqua-style interface in OSX Lion? Maybe system-wide progress bars like iPhone '11?

They seem to be trying to move to a more unified UI, with the iOS-style scrollbars probably become standard across most if not all apps. I wouldn't be surprised to see progress bars follow suite also, they seem almost cheesy at this point, like XP's playschool theme.

I am pretty sure he meant iPhoto. I was confused at first too, though. ;)

iPhoto '11 uses different progress bars? :huh: Haven't come across those yet. Where can I see them?

Sorry guys I meant iPhoto '11 not iPhone. wacko.gif The progress bars are new when you import some photos.

79mV.Screen%20shot%202010-10-26%20at%2018.54.54.png