Mac OS X Lion Discussion

Friggin' awesome feature in Mail: QuickLook a link.

Nice ! I like how they’re actually making something useful with this feature.

I mean personally I was using it a lot before, but it’s good to know that they’re generalizing it to the whole system.

The contacts application from Snow Leopard looks very archaic to say the least, but the new one doesn’t seem to be very usable for me. Can you confirm that?

And what do you say about the stability of this alpha product, compared to the stability of final Snow Leopard 10.6.7 ?

Can you dual boot this OS with 10.6.7 easily ?

And what do you say about the stability of this alpha product, compared to the stability of final Snow Leopard 10.6.7 ?

I'm pretty sure it would be considered beta at this point not alpha

The contacts application from Snow Leopard looks very archaic to say the least, but the new one doesn’t seem to be very usable for me. Can you confirm that?

Seems just as usable to me. Takes one more click to get to your groups, but otherwise, it has just the same functionality.

I haven't had the system crash on me yet (seems very fast and stable), but there are apps that don't seem to like it. Twitter for Mac works, but inertial scrolling isn't working in it. Radium (internet radio app) launches, but doesn't work at all.

That's what I'm doing right now.

Elliott could you please check if Quicktime has been updated? The latest version on SL is 7.6.6 but i would like to know if they have done updates to quicktime engine for Lion. I ask this because of AAC encoding; and if rumors of 24 bit audio through iTunes are true, Apple may just embrace HD-AAC technology soon in their quicktime engine just for Lion or iTunes 11.

Anyway thank you for the informations you're giving us. Do you have it installed on another HD or on a second partition?

Elliott could you please check if Quicktime has been updated? The latest version on SL is 7.6.6 but i would like to know if they have done updates to quicktime engine for Lion. I ask this because of AAC encoding; but if rumors of 24 bit audio through iTunes are true, Apple may just embrace HD-AAC technology soon in their quicktime engine just for Lion or iTunes 11.

they don't usually release new versions of iTunes with OSX

Elliott could you please check if Quicktime has been updated? The latest version on SL is 7.6.6 but i would like to know if they have done updates to quicktime engine for Lion. I ask this because of AAC encoding; and if rumors of 24 bit audio through iTunes are true, Apple may just embrace HD-AAC technology soon in their quicktime engine just for Lion or iTunes 11.

Anyway thank you for the informations you're giving us. Do you have it installed on another HD or on a second partition?

I can't say for sure if there's anything different with how QuickTime X is handling AAC audio. The version was bumped to 10.1, but that's not saying much.

I have it installed on an external HD.

I can't say for sure if there's anything different with how QuickTime X is handling AAC audio. The version was bumped to 10.1, but that's not saying much.

I have it installed on an external HD.

No I think he wants the version for QuickTime and not QuickTime X

But if you're like me than it's probably not installed :p

But if you're like me than it's probably not installed :p

Yep. :p

I can't recall if QuickTime 7 was even an installation option in Lion.

Edit: It's not in the Dev Preview installer, at least, which would lead me to believe that it's still 7.6.6 or whatever.

Yeah, they had a lot of work to do with QuickTime X.

Bring back the features left from QuickTime 7, remove the option to install both QuickTimes in parallels and support more video codecs.

Oh and merge DVD Player with it, seriously...

Yes i meant Quicktime, not Quicktime X lol well it's not there, neither in Snow Leopard is if you do not select it but Quicktime engine is there. To see that, you have to do an audio conversion with XLD and see the reported info on itunes. But obviously I'd never ask you to do that, so nevermind :D

In case you guys were wondering, this is how you get an app out of full screen (shows up in the menu bar, which shows up when your cursor is at the top of the screen): post-17580-0-53705300-1298573757.png

Edit: Also, just noticed this in the All My Files section in Finder (note the Cover Flow): post-17580-0-97325700-1298573857.png

Now THAT would be a wild idea :whistle:

Hehe, I’m not crazy 24/7 :p

How do you trigger "Versions", how often does it save (is it customizable) and how much space does it take? (does it save the complete file every time, or just the changes brought to it?)